Is Lightning Spell OP?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
alephnaught

Is Lightning Spell OP?

Post by alephnaught »

Is it just me, or is the lightning spell super OP? I'm not sure whether this was a problem with the original Diablo or whether it's a Belzebub thing, but even as a warrior I'm finding that sitting back and spamming lightning (while throwing back mana potions) annihilates everything very quickly, including bosses. Every guide I've read suggests I should be focusing on melee, and that Chain Lightning is better, but that's not my experience at all. At level 9 it's doing up to 262 damage at 12 mana, much better than anything else I've got.
radicool

Post by radicool »

I found lightning to be powerful when I was in normal but once you enter Nightmare, things will slowly change. The difficulty curb takes a turn and youll soon max out your Lightning spell level and it will fall behind.

Without item affixes like increased spell level, spell damage and minus enemy resistance, your spells will be less effective. If you were going to use a magic build, you might as well picked a Sorceror? I think focusing a meele build would be a good idea for long term.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

yes it's OP.

i remember in vanilla diablo a stream of lightning does less damage to a single target than a fireball at the same level. in this mod lightning does about 3 times more damage than fireball.
SlapZ

Post by SlapZ »

In Vanilla Diablo Fireball was bugged and it dealt more damage than it actually should.

Lightning is strong against single targets because with fast casting you are able to stack several lightning "tiles" on the target, similary to firewall / lightning wall.

Genrally about spell X being op / up:
For now all we can do is wait for Blight to finish core multiplayer scripting, then perhaps we will see rebalancing of spell dmg / mana / resists / immunities.
Rota

Post by Rota »

You tried Torment in Terror Domain? There are more than half Monsters with immunes ^^ maybe it's a bit OP but u can die every time if u do wrong tele