Problem with saving

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
pdoodek

Problem with saving

Post by pdoodek »

Hi,
I have a "player_save" folder in Data folder and I run the game as administrator - still can't save game. My character is stored, when I exit, but choosing it always starts new game.

What's more re-opening the game sets all settings to default (video & gameplay, like walking speed).

What might cause this problem?

Piotr
radicool

Post by radicool »

I'm not really sure, but did you run and install the oalinst.exe file before playing?
pdoodek

Post by pdoodek »

This exe file is rather for sound I think, but installed it now and it didn't change anything.

I'm on Windows 8.1
Constance

Post by Constance »

What are the permissions on those folders ? Are you sure you have at least the modification rights with the account you use to run the game ?
baboun

Post by baboun »

pro-advice: don't use Win8 because it sucks
pdoodek

Post by pdoodek »

Whole game folder "Diablo" (Diablo 1 + mod) is in C:/Program Files (86x) directory. It has "read only" attribute. Maybe this is the cause?

I have only one account - Administrator.
Psojed

Post by Psojed »

Yes, remove the read-only attribute. If it doesnt help, you can also try moving it from Program Files to another folder (temporarily), simply copy it, the game will work.
Constance

Post by Constance »

You probably should move the mod outside of Windows' pre-defined folders (such as Program Files) and make your own folder with full control access to install games and mods, or else you may run into this sort of problem pretty often with games made for the Windows 9x era, where there were no access restrictions whatsoever on the folders (as the FAT-based filesystems didn't have that feature).