Level 8 Combo breaker + Mana Shield?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Psojed

Level 8 Combo breaker + Mana Shield?

Post by Psojed »

Hello,

some report from my play. I picked a rogue because people said how rogues have it hard in this mod, so I wanted to see for myself.

My rogue is level 19 and has reached caves on Normal, so far. Levels 1-7 were super easy, i did not invest a single point into vitality and I died only once, on my first try on The Butcher.
However level 8 was a combo breaker. The level was filled with 7 boss mobs total + some possesed and fanatic champions. I never saw so many special creatures at one place. None of those dropped a single useful item.
Zhar The Mad was piece o' cake, however Sanctuary was not. As I didn't have any resistances except for Ring of Truth, the lightning orbs kept oneshotting me because of the way lightning works in this game.

I would not have such issues, because at this point in game I would normally use Mana Shield, and my mana is double my HP, but my only Mana Shield ever encountered was >>one<< scroll and then this spell simply does not exist!

I spent many teleports trying to get the spell OR at least some resist gear, however Griswold and Gheed apparently also like trolling and always sell items like "Full Helm of Magic +1"...
So I decided to just push on and keep trying. After like 20 deaths from the fire traps and lightning orbs, I finally got the to bosses in the Sanctuary.
Every boss was a piece of cake, only the damn lightning orbs kept owning me. I killed Creature of Flame and the mage first try, I killed Doomsomething first try, the summoned doom lord first try and even Horazon first try, no stress. The tactics is easy. Avoid ranged spells, multishot with a Composite bow of the Icicle (+cold damage, it slows the boss momentarily and its great help).
They dropped some neat uniques, but I still can't find the damn mana shield, doh!

I wonder If I will survive the later levels, because I specced into dex/mag and without mana shield my char will keep getting killed.
kullein

Post by kullein »

As far as I know, Mana Shield is an innate spell only sorcerers get at the moment. I haven't encountered a book yet and this is with 2 characters in hell and one in nightmare.
SlapZ

Post by SlapZ »

As Kullein said, Mana Shield is now Sorcerer only skill.
You won't find it's spellbook.
Psojed

Post by Psojed »

Mana Shield is every class' second health globe, and taking it away seals the deal. No reason to play other classes than Sorcerers then :) Thx for the info.
Martim

Post by Martim »

You will find it on shrines. I'm not sure if it's Magical.
Scharnvirk

Post by Scharnvirk »

Here is my story about the Rogue:

http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/beaten-hard ... -t857.html

Notice I had no problems in the sanctuary...

Long story short, you can abandon your rogue run as the minibosses on Diablo's level (and few before) are totally, absurdly overpowered. Unless your gear is hyperawesome and skill perfect, you stand no chance at all.
Psojed

Post by Psojed »

To react to your topic, there are items that increase your dungeon runspeed (tho I only found one that gave +8% so far), so you might be able to outrun the enemy.

I also wear an unique Leather Armor named Leather of Aut that gives "half freeze duration" bonus, so I'm sure there are also items with "cannot be frozen", which should help with Izual etc.

But basically my build is f**ed because I went Dex/Mag with the plan to get mana shield and stack mana, but since there is no Mana Shield and I ever dropped only a single Mana Shield scroll, she has no chance.
POMPyro

Post by POMPyro »

There is this belt however is not 100% unfortunately.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

rogue is a glass cannon. you can have neither much mana nor much life to keep you safe either way. mana shield is not really helpful later in the game and you need the mana to use skills and teleport. so use teleport to avoid getting hit instead.
Psojed

Post by Psojed »

You don't get it. It's the innate 33% damage reduction that's the most useful:
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Mana_Shield_%28Diablo_I%29

I made a new rogue without magic, I downloaded some of the items posted here. I spent no points to vitalty or magic, all dex and some str.
Right now my HP and MP are nearly the same. I'm on Nightmare using the onehanded xbow and dragon shield (+60-120 fire dmg) and I'm ready to kill Diablo and go Hell. PS: I didn't learn Golem yet, trying to beat it without him. Personal challenge :wink:
Screenshot: