Help in starting with Diablo 1 modding

Offtopic
Ogodei

Help in starting with Diablo 1 modding

Post by Ogodei »

Hello guys, I write this post to ask the developers/modders for help. I'm fascinated by Diablo 1 mods and I constantly ask myself how people can produce masterpieces like Belzebub, TheHell or Awakening. I tried to make a mod by myself using EZModMaker2K, but that's not what I expect to insert in a Diablo modification (you see, that program is somewhat limited to few and specific options, because you cannot add new spells, characters and so on).
Therefore, I realized that my last chance to create a self-use mod is to ask the developers or modders on this forum a piece of advice in regards of what I need to learn or which programs are needed to create a D1 mod.
Thanks in advance to the devs and modders that will answer to this topic :)
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Hi,
Diablo modding 1 is harder than you think. EzModMaker 2000 is good for beginners, but if you want more info, look at this: http://www.thedark5.com/forum/forum_top ... FID=3&PN=1
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Hi Noktis, and thanks,

I found many interesting topics on that forum you've shown me. But, maybe going a bit further, how can I set my mod.exe to check a custom MPQ or the DIABDAT.mpq i have in my Diablo directory? Is it too hard to do for a beginner?

p.s. I think I'll use EZModMaker2K to start with the basics along with some small hex editing shown in the forum
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

You want to run Diablo without CD, yes?
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Hi,

Yes i'd love to because it would be nice for graphic and sound modding :-)
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

You can use patch_rt.mpq to do that. For example path to music in diabdat.mpq is music\dtowne.wav if you want to change the music you must add new music to patch_rt.mpq using the same path music\dtowne.wav Thats all.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Thanks, it works :) I will do some small tests using EZModMaker2K and the patch_rt file.
I'll keep replying in this thread if I find myself in need of assistance. Again, thanks a lot for the help provived until now :)