When Chernobog gets MP

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
qualakon

When Chernobog gets MP

Post by qualakon »

Will the MP characters be stored on the server on locally on the client side?
thecurse

Post by thecurse »

pretty sure client side.
unless someone sets up a global server (which might get you into trouble with blizzard)...
for global MP i´d recommend LAN play with VPN (Hamachi or similar), since you would not want to use IPX protocol anyway nowadays...

of course that may lead to cheating due char hacks etc, but i´m sure the devs can at least make it harder for people to do so.
riesa

Post by riesa »

I think it was said before, that is gonna be server side with client check for cheats. I'm not sure but i remember that most of people wanted to clienta save based too to play (usin D2 nomenclature) Open BN with their single player chars, and this idea is... Well... Realize maybe in future. So as i understood BL, it's gonna be mainly server based save.
radicool

Post by radicool »

I remember asking a similar question. The devs said it will only have LAN to begin with. That mean we need a VPN like suggested above to play over the internet. This means the characters will be saved client side.

This was mentioned a while back, so I'm not sure if the plans have changed. It would be cool if someone hosted a server and characters are saved server side. That way theres no cheating and online play is integrated into the game. In my opinion, more people would play online if there are no third party progams involved.