Character guides & hints

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Arkastia

Character guides & hints

Post by Arkastia »

Due the lack of info about this, i had the idea to made a topic so everyone who has played in this mod can provide stat guides or tips for each class.

Who want to be the first helping the noobies? :D

Hints for melee characters.

- Use faster weapons possible again Succubi (So they can't run away), stunlock is crucial to kill them easily. (Azurewrath is a great weapon for this purpose)

- Try to obtain Zakarumite's Ceremonial Knife, best weapon for young characters. (Fast, lot of dmg, ignore defense and leech mana) (Is drop-only)
-->Zakarumite<--

Hints for magic characters.

- When you are frozen, your cast rate is slowered. Try to avoid it.

- Staff Recharge skill doesn't decrease the maximum amount of charges owned by your staff.

- Books require a very high amount of magic to be read from spell level 10 to 15. Make sure to have a magic bonus set in order to obtain high and useful spells (you can use items with high magic stat for this purpose)

- Holy Bolt : Is very effective when used against the Undead despite their appearance so be sure to read what class is the enemy you are going to fight with!

General purpose hints.

- Waypoints are very important : they will enable you to warp to specified level, saving precious time.

- As soon as you enter a level, regardless of what level it is, study its conformation and the monsters who populate it, and learn how to fight in that area. This will save you thousands of useless death (Never try to rush new levels)

- There's no shame in failure : if you cannot kill a boss or complete a quest, go back, farm more,level up, get better gear and, over all, improve your playing skill.

- Be sure to check every chest, barrel, library and sarcophagus.

- Resists are among the things you have to worry about, since many enemies and bosses are likely to hit you with magic and elements. Remember that you receive a penalty for each difficulty you play.

- Some bosses have unique attack modes. don't be surprised if you see a boss who acts strangely.

- The only way to obtain life and mana auto-replenishment comes from items.

- A high enough elemental/magic penentration allows you to inflict damage to the immunes , while boosting your damages against non immunes.

Guides for Warrior
Nothing yet

Guides for Rogue
-Add all your points to Dexterity.
-Try to find stats in items to have the requeriments to equip objects.

Guides for Sorceror
Rota build:
-Add all your points to Magic.
-Use staff with elemental drain.
-Find Energy/Mana items.

Guides for Necromancer
-Add all your points to Vitality.

Ugily build:
-Rely on your zombies, skeletons, revives, and golems to fight melee while you blast away with spells from a safe distance.
-Get a staff of guardian and use it often.
-Sometimes it comes down to melee so you still need some melee skills and get a nice very fast weapon. ( Azurath, for example)
-Find items that regenerate mana and hp
-Keep your army built up and summon them to surround distant enemies.
-If you are being chased, spawn some mobs, they can buy time to heal and mana up and renew your attack.

Guides for Barbarian
-Add all your points to Strengh.

Guides for Asassin
Liquid build:
-Abuse the use of Stealth Skill, it's great to deal damage and very usefull to deal with ranged enemies.
-A cool trick is to let them detect you and then run to a corner and use the skill, some enemies will come to find you and they will stay still, thats your best time to deal with ranged enemies besides when you hit a enemy in stealth mode you get the Surprise Atack Buff wich gives you more walk speed and defense.
-Another trick to scape is once you get the Narcosis Skill, it can be very usefull to scape because it stuns the enemies for like 2 seconds, in that time you should be able to hide.

Gamma_Corvi = 1.
Liquid = 3.
Riesa = 3.
Ugily = 6.
Ogodei = 12.
Last edited by Arkastia on 07 Oct, 2014 9:04, edited 12 times in total.
Fearwing

Post by Fearwing »

Tip for barbarian when descending to hell levels - with those damn Succubi.

Get a fastest weapon you can - it's absolutely crucial in stunlocking those winged bitches. The key is to land a first hit and stunlock them till they die (of course you're gonna need enough damage, too).

The Fleshdoom quest reward - Lightforge - is totally useless in this case, because of its slow swing. But Azurewrath... that's damn excellent :)
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

The best melee weapon for low leveled characters:

Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Excelent, i will try to keep this topic updated, if anyone have more hints & strategies & stats guides, feel free to share :)

How can be obtained the knife, Gamma_Corvi?
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

General tips for beginners : This is neither Diablo I nor Diablo II. Therefore, some mechanics you were used to employ/exploit may not work in Belzebub. Here are some examples, along with some hints

- When you are frozen, your cast rate is slowered [differently from Diablo II]

- Set Items are useful : try to collect them to get many interesting bonuses and develop your build

- You can use two chests as storages, which are located in town : The first one is called "Private Stash" and contains the items that belong to your character and to him/her only.
The second one is called "Trade Stash" and it's used to transfer items from a character to another [If you are familiar with Diablo 2 and the PlugY mod, you might compare the Private Stash to a D2-vanilla stash, and the Trade stash to the PlugY shared stash]

- Staff Recharge skill doesn't decrease the maximum amount of charges owned by your staff [differently from Diablo I and Hellfire]

- Books require a very high amount of magic to be read from spell level 10 to 15 [or even sooner for the more powerful spells]. As probably you've done in Diablo 1, make sure to have a magic bonus set in order to obtain high and useful spells [Private Stash helps, in this case]

- Holy Bolt : Unlike Diablo 1 and 2, Holy Bolt is very effective when used against the Undead. There are some enemies that are flagged as Undead despite their appearance (for example, the Necromancers in levels 15-16 or the Risen Hero in level 5), so be sure to read what class is the enemy you are going to fight with! Not to mention that some items give specific bonuses against a certain class of monsters, mainly Demons or Undead.

- Resists are among the things you have to worry about, since many enemies and bosses are likely to hit you with magic and elements. Remember that you receive a penalty for each difficulty you play [except normal] : the higher the difficulty, the higher the penalties you receive, so don't be surprised if you find your self particulary weak to this or that element at the next difficulty. Pay attention on what monsters throw at you, since you can easily divide it by species. For example, all Balrog-like monsters use fire, all Succubi use magic, and all Storm Demons use lightning.

- There's no shame in failure : if you cannot kill a boss or complete a quest, go back, farm more,level up, get better gear and, over all, improve your playing skill. After you've done that, repeat the quest you couldn't complete before. You'll be suprised and satisfacted.

- Some bosses have unique attack modes. don't be surprised if you see a boss who acts strangely enough for his monster type [no spoiler here, hehe]

- Be sure to check every chest, barrel, library and sarcophagus. You might find something very interesting

- The only way to obtain life and mana auto-replenishment comes from items.

- As soon as you enter a level, regardless of what level it is, study its conformation and the monsters who populate it, and learn how to fight in that area. This will save you thousands of useless death [and gold loss, if you cannot recover it] provoked by hurry

- There is no Cow level :)
Last edited by Ogodei on 04 Oct, 2014 1:38, edited 3 times in total.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

There is only one way to get the knife - it must be found :lol:
There is no clear answer where you can find it, as it may fall out of the boss, it can be given by ordinary monster, or simply fall out of the stash.

Here you have some eq tips for low lvl melee character, but in polish.
Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Thank for the new hints, Ogodei.

Gamma_Corvi, unfortunatly, i don't understand polish.

Go, go, people, let's grow this "compendium" :)

Pd: The hints are growing but we still lack about character stats guides, if anyone have info about that, can help a lot :)
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

It was a good idea, to open this thread :-) but the description of class builds should go in a separated one imo :) again, good job!
Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Ogodei wrote:It was a good idea, to open this thread :-) but the description of class builds should go in a separated one imo :) again, good job!
Maybe you're right but more threads = harder to find. Anyway, is easy to store a lot of info a single thread, and if grow big, then i can split it more posts and chain them, not a problem.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Yeah, that's doable, too :) but you should ask the admin to set this thread as "Sticky" since it's useful for everyone and it's not just a random discussion.

I got two more general hints for beginners

- Waypoints are very important : they will enable you to warp to specified level, saving precious time after you start playing again

- [i'd write this tip in general, too, since mages are not the only ones who use elemental damages] : A high enough elemental/magic penentration allows you to inflict damage to the immunes , while boosting your damages against non immunes
Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Added :)

And yep, i was thinking to ask about sticky when we have more "intel" :)
Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Come on, veteran, explain your tactics and hints to help rookies!

(Also, we need character guides [stats or skills])

Don't be shy! :P
Rota

Post by Rota »

Ye nah most interesting is the build of how to add Stats on each character.
For now I have finished Torment just with Mage and I added all points to Magic. It works good for me. Second thing u need is just to got nice Energy/Mana Stuff and the Staffs with elemental drain :P
Arkastia

Post by Arkastia »

Rota wrote:Ye nah most interesting is the build of how to add Stats on each character.
For now I have finished Torment just with Mage and I added all points to Magic. It works good for me. Second thing u need is just to got nice Energy/Mana Stuff and the Staffs with elemental drain :P
Yes, i totally share your opinion, a rookie need a stat guide (and if it comes with some hints, better) to start "fast" while avoiding the need of raise a new character because they messed up it and they're "worthless" for higher difficulties
riesa

Post by riesa »

Sorc and Nec - easy way is: max MAG on Sorc, and max VIT on Nec. It could be difficult at some places but would benefit afterall. I'm still waiting for nice builds for those chars with arguments why someone adds to whis stat and not for another. Propably same is with Baba - max STR and Rogue - max DEX. But what's best for Warrior and Asassin?