Mercenaries

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
NakedSnake

Mercenaries

Post by NakedSnake »

Hi guys! Just asking if there could be a possibility to hire mercenaries in this mod, in the way of Diablo 2? It would be awesome! In the future, I mean.
Obishedo

Re: Mercenaries

Post by Obishedo »

NakedSnake wrote:Hi guys! Just asking if there could be a possibility to hire mercenaries in this mod, in the way of Diablo 2? It would be awesome! In the future, I mean.
Yes! Enchantress, Templar and Scoundrel :P
NakedSnake

Post by NakedSnake »

I hope you're not joking :S
Obishedo

Post by Obishedo »

NakedSnake wrote:I hope you're not joking :S
Sorry, but this is joke... In "Diablo 1" mercenaries don't exists!!! Mercenaries are in "Diablo II" & "Diablo III" only.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Another post which says "Please make Diablo 1 into Diablo 2".
radicool

Post by radicool »

Sorry, but this is joke... In "Diablo 1" mercenaries don't exists!!! Mercenaries are in "Diablo II" & "Diablo III" only.
Another post which says "Please make Diablo 1 into Diablo 2".
Let's face it. Diablo 1 had a lot of problems with it. It lacked depth, balance, and many other things. Diablo 2 pretty much greatly improved on many aspects that Diablo 1 fell short in. This mod has implemented so many features which was already implemented in Diablo 2. And I have to say I like just about everything added to this mod. Lets face it. Adding Diablo 2 prinicples into Diablo 1 won't ruin this mod. It will always have that Diablo 1 atmosphere, storyline, monsters, artistic design, nostalgic quotes like "whoah what can I do for Ya".

Mercenaries were something which added a new dimension to Diablo 2. It added depth, more character customisation and flare to the game. I beleive mercenaries, if implemented properly, would be a great addition to the mod.

But thats the trouble, "Implemented properly". Mercenaries would need to somehow fit into the Diablo 1 storyline, or at least make sense. All the work required to make them have their own items, make them revivable, generate randomised names, balancing them, etc, etc, would all take a lot of work. Diablo 1 is designed to kill you quickly. I reckon mercenaries would start to get annoying if they offer little benefit and constantly die, soaking up all your gold in revives.

Mercenaries would be cool and a fun addition, adding a new layer of stratergy and customization to the game, however a lot of planning would need to go into them to make them fit into the storyline and balance them accordingly, and actually work, so to speak.[/quote]
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Mercenaries fit already into diablo 1 storyline. It is said multiple times in lore that many adventurers came to seek wealth under tristram :). You even meet many of them as corpses all around dungeon levels...

Mercenaries wouldn't be hard to add at all.

It's just that damned multiplayer that halted mod from any sort of progress for very long time. It's totally tedious to implement and makes this feel more like work then hobby... I'm not very happy about it.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

I don't like the idea - except there would be new models made for the mercenaries and new special skills like an aura or so and that is not possible i think (way too time consuming).

if they were included the balancing had to be redone completely as well i think...so for me - no mercenaries.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

I guess i like the idea but only as long as having a "build" for our character wouldnt be centered around having a proper mercenary (as it was with Sorceress in Diablo2 for example, but with many others as well). Having no options to choose from (only one kind of merc to hire) would kinda fix that as we would be focused on simply getting him the best items possible.
Maybe a Monk? His sprite is still unused.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Wait, what ?
No, adding mercenaries would either be useless (as in them being useless) or require to rework the game's balance one more time to take their presence into account.
And no, I don't agree that Diablo 1 lacked any depth. Even if if did, adding mercenaries wouldn't change much to that point.
radicool

Post by radicool »

Mercenaries fit already into diablo 1 storyline. It is said multiple times in lore that many adventurers came to seek wealth under tristram Smile. You even meet many of them as corpses all around dungeon levels...
That's true. But which quest would they come into play? Maybe that "Fallen Hero" quest. Its debateable if mid-late game is a good time to bring in mercenaries. Anyways..........
It's just that damned multiplayer that halted mod from any sort of progress for very long time. It's totally tedious to implement and makes this feel more like work then hobby... I'm not very happy about it.
Remember that we will all love you for it for forever and ever :)
And no, I don't agree that Diablo 1 lacked any depth. Even if if did, adding mercenaries wouldn't change much to that point.
Don't get me wrong. I loved Diablo 1 soooo much. In fact its better than modern games in a lot of ways. However, Diablo 2 had more depth than Diablo 1. There were more ways to spend gold, allocate items, and more strategic gameplay, etc. That's why a Diablo 1 mod is such a good idea. Adopt a lot of Diablo 2 design principles to improve it.
No, adding mercenaries would either be useless (as in them being useless) or require to rework the game's balance one more time to take their presence into account.
I agree. I can imagine mercenaries dying really quickly and becoming a burden to waste money on to keep alive. And then again, if monsters ignored the mercenary like they do in Diablo 3, I'd just cry. Diablo 3 sucked so hard, lol. Also the balancing would be difficult and time consuming.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

BrightLord wrote:Mercenaries fit already into diablo 1 storyline. It is said multiple times in lore that many adventurers came to seek wealth under tristram :). You even meet many of them as corpses all around dungeon levels...
Yes, I agree that mercenaries would fit in well with Diablo I. The only problem, I think, is graphics, as using the existing character classes' graphics wouldn't look very polished. But then again, there are Bard graphics which Belix made and which seem to be complete enough to be used as a mercenary:
http://khanduras.net/forums/mod-making- ... -the-bard/

The Bard graphic files are available for download in this post:
http://khanduras.net/forums/mod-making- ... ge-2/#p446
Savrok

Post by Savrok »

Wow nice
This is complete bard graphic ? All animations combat/town ?
Tungle ACC : Fus
Diablo ACC : Bajadoz
Piszę po polsku bo lubię komunikować się w ojczystym języku a nie w "yngielskim".
radicool

Post by radicool »

The only problem, I think, is graphics, as using the existing character classes' graphics wouldn't look very polished.
True. The Bard sprite that was made looks really good however. His cloth armor could be slightly lighter in colour to make him stand out a bit more as he appears a little difficult to see. I'm just being picky though. He really is excellent.

Curious to how difficult it is to make sprite models? I use to make Warcraft 3 maps and used custom models which were animated and textured. There were good and bad ones of course, but good ones typically took a few days for the creator to develop. The only extra step for Diablo 1 models is that these models need to have these animations in a series of frames. Given there are programs which automate this task (I'm assuming Blizzard would have used such programs to make Diablo 1 and Diablo 2) it wouldn't take long.

Am I missing anything? I can imagine these Diablo 1 character and monster models being remastered for higher detail and resolution, and a few new monsters added if somebody had the time and expertise.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Making 2d sprites for game like diablo is not that hard but you need to have some sort of talent in modeling.

First you make a 3d model in blender or other 3d modeling program. Animate it's actions. Then you render it at right angles to bitmaps (In case of diablo in isometric perspective and 8 angles). I'm sure there are programs that can automate this process or they are not that hard to write yourself. After that you need to quantizate its 32 bit color space to 8 bit predefined palette.

Creating animations frame by frame is totally bad idea as it's not good for mental health unless it's something with just few frames like an anvil for example. If I was serious about making new models for diablo 1 I would definately create program that convert 3d model directly into .cl2 format.
Last edited by BrightLord on 05 Jun, 2014 9:01, edited 1 time in total.