Bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

I think that many useless spells should be removed from game as they don't add anything.

Problem with spell damage is that it's directly based on spell level that leads to unbalanced mage that need to be blocked with immunities.

Some day spell damage should be based on weapon damage. For example level 1 fireball would do 100% weapon damage and +5% for each next level. Also casting speed would depend on weapon speed.
DREWPICKLES

Post by DREWPICKLES »

Just stopping by to give my opinion on this thread.

I feel that a lot of the suggestions stated here seem pretty far-fetched. I'm not saying they can't happen or shouldn't happen, but right now i think it is more important to focus on reporting bugs and giving suggestions about things that can be easily altered.

Stuff like the bug regarding multiple character deaths or the imbalance of certain spell damages is what i am talking about. Don't get me wrong, fixing every little graphical detail or adding in a slew of new features are not bad ideas. I just think they belong in a separate thread so the dev can clearly see the immediate issues that should be patched.

8)

i love you brightlord
:)
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

I will add bugtracker soon.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

I think that many useless spells should be removed from game as they don't add anything.
Are there many useless spells? Which ones? :O
Some day spell damage should be based on weapon damage. Also casting speed would depend on weapon speed.
Going by this we should also have our Chance to hit and enemy's Armor class influencing caster spell's chance to hit the enemy. Count me out if this logic makes its way into the mod.
Last edited by Wingard on 24 Apr, 2014 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

BrightLord wrote:I think that many useless spells should be removed from game as they don't add anything.
Well, we could say that they still add diversity. I'm not sure if there are any useless spells, though?
Problem with spell damage is that it's directly based on spell level that leads to unbalanced mage that need to be blocked with immunities.

Some day spell damage should be based on weapon damage. For example level 1 fireball would do 100% weapon damage and +5% for each next level. Also casting speed would depend on weapon speed.
I would suggest another approach (the one you suggest seems to me like it would take away from sorcerers exactly what makes them distinctive, and it doesn't make much sense either for weapons to determine the damage of spells such as firebolt): make spell levels have diminishing benefits.

A great example of what I mean is how Dodge works in Diablo 2: when you go up from Dodge Level 1 to Dodge level 2, the benefit increases by 6% (from 18% to 24%), while going from Dodge Level 19 to Dodge Level 20 increases the benefit by a mere 1% (from 55% to 56%).
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Spells are already subject to chance to hit calculation.
I didnt mean melee damage. There could be spell elemental damage calculated seperrately. For example based on magic stat and clvl ratio. Items with extra fire damage would add its bonus modified by casting speed to fire spells.

So for example lvl5 sorc with basic magic damage of 6-12 shooting lvl 3 firebolt that does 110% could hit with firebolt for 6-13.

If he had 1-4 fire damage from items and nonincreased cast speed then damage would be 7-18.

System like that allows for different strategies od gearing sorc other then just going all magic. Immunities would also be removed from most monsters apart from situations where it makes sense
radicool

Post by radicool »

Not sure whether I like that idea or not. I asked the following question regarding Diablo 3 introduing this change. What's to stop my Sorrecor using swords or axes. Can't remember people's response, but in the end I was right. My Witch Doctor just wore a high damage item, and staves and wands were useless. That seemed like a downer to me.

Anyway, on a side note, why not add more ability related item affixes instead? This could add more strength to weapons while adding more interest to itemization. Some examples:

- "+x to all skills" is too strong to be adding to all items (and so not many items give bonuses to all skills), so give items x amount to a specific skill. An item could give levels to 2 or even 3 different skills. Skill increases could push those abilities past their max level as well. That is, 15 from finding books + cumalative skill bonus from items. Could have a level 19 skill in theory. You could also make this type of item affix more common in staves.

- Add ability critical hit damage. Maybe by default you have no ability crit chance but items can give you a chance to deal critical damage with abilities. An ability critical strike could deal more damage and have a greater chance to make the enemy flinch.

- Could add a "Reduce Mana costs by x%. This affix would only be effective with my suggestion here: http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/boss-difficulty-t550.html (It was about making health and mana potions recover the HP or MP over time instead of instantly. Look into the thread for details.

Anyway. My priority has and always will be multiplayer. However, since you introduced a design prinicple, I thought I'd share my opinion and suggestion on the matter.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Nothing stops sorc from wearing axes, other then that staves could roll higher elemental affixes
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

System like that allows for different strategies od gearing sorc other then just going all magic. Immunities would also be removed from most monsters apart from situations where it makes sense
I personally feel this would be detrimental to the games atmosphere. We are talking about reincarnated dead, demonically possessed animals, and the manifestation of deadly sins; all in all MAGICAL CREATURES.

It would stand to reason that if a creature is the manifestation of fire, or is created in or by fire... that it is likely to have no effect from fire. Undead enemies would also likely not be affected by magics that effect living tissue (magic damage, poison, etc.) Enemies that throw lightning at you must have an immunity to said lightning to not fry themselves alive right? Maybe they don't NEED immunity, but they should definitely have a high resistance to their native magical type. An electric eel doesn't electrocute itself, but it can be electrocuted by much higher amperage and current.

I personally feel immunity(s) are fine to have commonly in the game. I do think that if the balancing CAN be worked out better, though, that immunity should be countered by weakness. A living entity that is very well insulated against the cold will not tolerate heat whereas one that can handle high heat will die in the cold.

Fire immune? Great I know to hit em with ICE!
Cold immune? Fire them down!
Lightning or magic immune? Uhh well I guess those two don't go together as logically...

I also feel that for something to have either the mental or physical discipline to be immune to certain forms of damage, they are likely very specialized. What I mean by this is that, in my mind, only the most powerful of magical creatures could ever be immune to more than one or TWO types of damage at the most. Tri-immunity would be exceedingly rare in my mind. I CAN see something possibly being immune to FIRE and COLD in that they are just immune to temperature changes and lets say for the sake of argument here that this also just happens to be a flying monster... No way to ground electricity... Immune to Lightning as well O_o. Well this thing should have a dire weakness to physical and magic damage in my opinion.

Again, if hypothetically the balance could be worked out, I would think for every immunity, there should be like a 25% (or whatever) weakness applied to the rest of the resistances (including physical.) This would make our Fiend from above with immunity to fire, cold, lightning have a 75 percent weakness to magic and physical... That's doable!

Then again... The same logic could be applied to resistances in general...

I NEVER would have brought this up if you hadn't BrightLord because "balancing" is a Pandora's box. Once you open it, you can never close it and you are never done. The best you can do is make the best of the situation.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

BUG: Gotterdamerung as of 1.041 still seems to set your maximum resistances to 0 for the current game instead of only when equipped.

IE you remove the helmet but still are set to 0 resist all until you create a new game.
Doubtful

Post by Doubtful »

1)I read from the majority of the people in *THE ULTIMATE SUGGESTIONS THREAD* saying that they want to be immune to their, for example, lightning wall. Seriously?? You want to kill every beauty of the game just to make it easier?... too lazy to think and make a strategy on how to kill the monsters.
Monsters should get dmg from there aoe skills as well as players. Fire always stays fire and it burns. Thats the only identity it has.

2)In MP friendly fire should exist. Forcing players to play smart and come up with strategies. Or you want just a dumb game where you push buttons.
Im amazed on how people choose to kill every aspect of the game that requires thinking.

3)About immunities is general. I think i kind of agree with Jofuss.
For example there is a a mod in D2 where bosses such as Baal, Diablo etc can be immune to physical. How is this even possible? I would understand HIGH physical resistance but its against reason to make something immune to physical. The only way something can be immune to physical is if its a ghost or a spirit. But then again if its a ghost or a spirit then it cant physically harm you also! It might have magic, fire, cold or lightning spells but not physical damage since its a spirit/ghost.

This whole subject about elements and immunities is a messed up. I will try as much as possible logically explain this subject with my understanding. Although when fantasy and magic comes in logic cant do much. :D But for some reason we keep seeking for logic nowadays and more than ever in games.

First Example:
You have a fire golem which will do physical+fire damage on its ordinary physical hits and it might cast fire or magic spells also.
You will be able to hit it with physical damage since it will have a structure, a physical/touchable form, and also with magical and cold damage. I doubt lighnting or poison can harm it. Maybe it can have high resist to poison and lightning.
And ofc it will be immune to heat/fire. Actually fire can even heal it :D

Second Example
Fire Golem is different from lets say Fire Spirit. Spirit is usually the thing that cannot be touched physically.
So in this case a Fire Spirit CANT be hit by physical hits (immune to physical), by fire skills (immune to fire or even fire will heal it) and by lightning and poison skills (not sure if a spirit can be hit by lightning or even poison. hard to imagine).
It can only damage you with fire and magic.
You will be able to kill it with cold and magic skills only.

I took fire as an example. The principles are the same for the rest of elements. The balance can come by reducing or increasing numbers.
And again this is my point of view.
Last edited by Doubtful on 25 Apr, 2014 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

What if Telekinesis dealt psyhical damage? :O Average amount (so it wont be OP) of psyhical damage with a knockback. This way:
- sorcerors will be able to fight monsters immune to all elements
- there will be a quick enough way to repell charging enemies
- telekinesis wont be so useless to level up anymore

Like a "strong push" to the enemy (or "force push" for Star Wars fans).
Constance

Post by Constance »

Yet another suggestion: perhaps Pepin (or maybe the Priest?) should be able to remove curses such as that one from the Black Death which temporarily reduces max hit points?
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Constance wrote:Yet another suggestion: perhaps Pepin (or maybe the Priest?) should be able to remove curses such as that one from the Black Death which temporarily reduces max hit points?
I kind of like the idea of the priest being able to do it, the only problem of course is that he dies so it would be unavailable after you've completed Fleshdoom.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Yeah, well, there are no Black Death in Hell as far as I know... as for the other monsters capable of cursing, I guess we'd just have to deal with it just as we do now ^^'

Edit: I guess this may count as a bug... the AI for poison spitters seems to have an issue with attacking the player from far away, as when you are too far for their ranged attack to reach you they don't try to get closer. Which should make taking them down with spells or a bow pretty easy as long as you have enough mana pots/regen.
Now I'll probably hate myself for reporting it when this is fixed but hey ^^'