Bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
radicool

Post by radicool »

Okay so what if we have an optional option to display three interface windows at the same time?
No offence, but I don't like this idea. To be honest, it's not something I think many people would like, including me. Besides it doesn't add much to the game yet would soak up lots of time. There's more important things the dev's can work on at the moment. Can't wait to see multiplayer :)
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

i think renaming some basic items would be good. take for example gothic axe and gothic bow...why are these items high tier items?

there are tier 1 items which are already of the "gothic name" like gothic plate and gothic shield. i think it is irritating and odd that there are tier 2 items which share the name of tier 1 items and are way more powerful...

i would suggest to rename the gothic axe into maybe glorious axe or champion axe (like in diablo 2) and the gothic bow into hydra bow (again like in diablo 2).

crash edit: i had a game crash when fighting a unique snow witch on dlvl 15. i wanted to kill her with stacked lightning walls and after spamming a few dozen of them the game crashed. though don't know if the lightning walls had anything to do with it. i play the version 1.41 and mage torment.

btw i never got a crash before...
Last edited by sergio_cannabis on 21 Apr, 2014 15:16, edited 2 times in total.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Hmm I don't know if that's a bug or on purpose, but, as you know, characters have several lines they can say when they don't have enough room in their inventory.
I just noticed after checking something in the original game that I never heard my characters say some of their usual lines, such as "Too much baggage" or "I gotta pawn some of this stuff" when playing this mod.
sergio_cannabis

how about some really high lvl items? for example lvl 55, 58 or even 60?

when you reach lvl 50 then there could be more motivation to level up further ;)
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

I would like to see some icon showing which tier is the item from, aside from tier 1. For example Grand robe is an armor having a Robe icon, but its a next tier item (more armor class, more durability, etc.)

I suggest to make the game display small icon, like a dot in the corner of the item, which would inform about the item's tier. So, Grand robe, would have one gold dot in its bottom right corner for example.

These dots/icons would appear only when the item is unequipped, and only for items from above tier 1 (so no dot for Robe and Rags, but a one dot for Grand robe and Tatters). In shop (especially Gambling where its more important) we could - from the first sight - know exactly what item is this despite multiple items having the same icon.

That should do it, but if someone agrees then we could also have a information about the tier under the item's name in the tooltip. So:

Grand robe
(Robe tier 2)
Durability x / x

etc.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Bug (?): unidentified rare rings (and perhaps some other item types) display a required level (while most items don't until they have been identified).
Also, that required level is usually wrong since it's not the same after the ring has been identified.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Alright, how about a system of synergies. It was auggested already by someone else so im not going to say it was me who came up with it, but i did prepare a list of possible synergies between the spells. The rule was to buff the higher level spells by using spells from lower level than them.

Some values can be less than 1 (duration, cooldown) while others cant (mana cost). I also used "a bit" instead of clear value in places where i wasnt sure what to type. Its about increasing spell's damage mostly.

So this is kind of my attempt to fix two issues:
- some spells not being very viable to use/learn more
- lower level spells losing their importance as the game progresses

(number in the brackets is the max value for the synegry (when the synergic spell is at the lvl 15))

Level 2:
Firewall:
Wall length increased by 1 square for each 5 levels of Inferno (+ 3 spots)

Flash:
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 3 levels of Charged bolt (- 5)

Circle of ice:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Frost shard

Level 3:
Lightning wall:
Wall length increased by 1 square for each 5 levels of Charged bolt (+ 3 spots)
Damage increased a bit for each level of Lightning
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 3 levels of Flash (- 5)

Fireball:
Missile speed increased a bit for each level of Firebolt

Stone curse:
Duration increased by 0.1s for each level of Telekinesis (+ 1.5s)

Flame wave:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Firewall
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 2 levels of Inferno (- 7)

Chain lightning:
Number of arcs increased by 1 for each 7 levels of Charged bolt (+ 2 arcs)
Damage increased a bit for each level of Lightning
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 3 levels of Flash (- 5)

Ice blast:
Missile speed increased a bit for each level of Frost shard
Slow time increased by 0.1s for each level of Circle of ice (+ 1.5s)

Level 4:
Mind mace:
Damage and missile speed increased a bit for each level of Telekinesis

Elemental:
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 2 levels of Flame wave (- 7)

Golem:
Health points increased by 15 for each level of Heal other (+ 300)
Health regeneration increased by 1 per 5 seconds for each 3 levels of Healing (+ 5 per 5)
Damage increased a bit for each level of Stone curse
Armor class increased by 2 for each level of Stone curse (+ 30 AC)
Walk speed increased a bit for each level of Phashing and Town portal
Cooldown lowered by 0.2s for each level od Telekinesis (- 3s)

Frozen orb:

Meteor cluster:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Fireball
Number of meteors increased by 1 for each 7 levels of Firewall (+ 2 meteors)

Guardian:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Firebolt
Duration increased by 0.2s for each level of Telekinesis (+ 3s)

Level 5:
Nova:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Charged bolt
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each level of Flash (- 15)

Sentinel:
Duration increased by 0.2s for each level of Guardian (+ 3s)
Cooldown lowered by 2s for each level od Telekinesis (- 30s)

Teleport:
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 5 levels of Phashing and Warp (- 6)

Blizzard:
Number of ice meteors increased by 1 for each 6 levels of Ice blast (+ 2 ice meteors)

Immolation:
Damage increased a bit for each level of Fireball
Mana cost lowered by 1 for each 2 levels of Flame wave (- 7)

Above the buttons of spells level tabs there would be two tabs, one for overall information (the one we have now) and the second one to see the synergies. All of the spell's synergies (both FROM and FOR) would be listed there. There would be also values in brackets showing the current value of the synergy (how much effect the synergy is doing at the moment). It would also contain non-spell synergies, like the caster's level or his Magic attribute (for example now hero's level increases the mana cost of Healing, and his Magic stst increases Health of Golem).

I have to admit that there are still two spells i dont know (one from level 4 (frist on the list) and one from level 5 (fifth from the top on the list)), in case you are wondering why arent they on the synergies list.
sergio_cannabis

synergies don't make any sense at all when you can have all spells maxed every playthrough...
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

synergies don't make any sense at all when you can have all spells maxed every playthrough...
Ooooh yeeaah, i totally forgot that evey character can have all spells maxed out immediately! There are no Magic requirements whatsoever after all! Every class starts with all spells at 15 lvl ! ....

Ive already stated my reasons to suggest synergies, try to consider them before posting your opinion next time...
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

Ooooh yeeaah, i totally forgot that evey character can have all spells maxed out immediately! There are no Magic requirements whatsoever after all! Every class starts with all spells at 15 lvl ! ....
There is no reason to take a reply that seemed to be meant as nothing more than constructive criticism to a suggestion and reply in this manner... How did this add to the debate?

I personally don't care much for the idea of synergies. I didn't care for them in Diablo 2 either. This would likely introduce a lot additional work that would be drawing attention away from other things that could be addressed. Also this would most likely require a lot of constant tweaking and balancing to make sure that "X" is still relevant and "Y" is not overpowered.

I personally would be more in favor of reworking the spell progression independently or possibly having the spell book set up as tiers, such as that in regards to spells in the spell book:
Page 1 max level 30
Page 2 max level 25
Page 3 max level 20
Page 4 max level 15
Page 5 max level 10
Page 6 max level 5

This also might be prohibitively difficult to implement and also may introduce a balancing nightmare...

I don't see why certain spells shouldn't be allowed to fade into obsolescence. It would be nice if we could delete or hide them though...
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

There is no reason to take a reply that seemed to be meant as nothing more than constructive criticism to a suggestion and reply in this manner... How did this add to the debate?
I dont see anything even remotely close to constructive criticism in his post. But i could agree that i indeed shouldnt have replied with a post of a equal usefulness level.

Time for some new random ideas from me! :)
- instead of having one DPS window on the char screen make it two, one for each mouse button! Game would be calculating the dps for the spell/skill/basicattack . For skills and attacks it would take under consideration character's attack speed (as it is now i suppose) and for spells that would be character's casting speed.
Overall i dont see this as a particularly important matter, but why can someone like Warrior check out his dps and Sorceror cant?

- Somewhere near one the the places that display character's resistances in the char window make a information that shows how much they are reduced for the fact of being present on the current difficulty.
Nomic

Charge Bug

Post by Nomic »

Been having some problems with the warrior charge skill...sometimes the character becomes locked in an infinite loop while trying to charge. I havent been able to pinpoint the exact cause or replicate the bug on demand but I have experienced it multiple times. It seems as if, while charging, the game gets stuck in a loop of calculating a path, following the path, and then being unable to reach the destination so it calculates a different path, begins to follow it and then is again unable to reach the destination. The game then calculates a new path (the same as the original path) and this continues forever...

The character just runs back and forth a few squares endlessly with no way to break out of it or issue any other move or spell commands. The only thing to do is leave the game.

I think rather than trying to re-work the whole pathfinding system an easier (or temporary) fix would be to let players still issue move commands while charging, or implement some sort of "halting" mechanism that forces players to stop.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Ive started to play a Rogue! :) Im only lvl 10 and for now have only Divided arrow unlocked ("Multiple shot" is the original name though less fitting imo), but i already saw/heard sbout explosive one and a homing one. So it got me thinking: what if we could shoot arrows that have more that one special effect?
That would require the optional option to have rogue's skills exist as a passive abilities rather than a active ones - so it would work like Paladin's auras in Diablo 2. With arrow skill chosen our basic attack would be passively enchanted by this skill (and drain mana).
The whole point of this is the fact that we could choose two different types of arrows at the same time (assigned for left mouse button and right mouse button) and attacking by clicking any of them would make our arrows be enchanted by both skills. We could have explosive divided arrows or divided homing arrows! Cool, huh? :) Dont know about the skills that Warrior and other classes have, but im sure they could use this feature sometimes as well.

Thinking about it made me think also of FX keybinding working only for right mouse button. If we could change keybindings i would see there an option to choose to which mouse button we'd like to assign the specific FX button. That way we could for example have F1 and F2 working for left mouse button and the rest of Fs for the right one.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Wingard wrote:Im only lvl 10 and for now have only Divided arrow unlocked ("Multiple shot" is the original name though less fitting imo)
Yes, Multiple Shot was a bit of a strange name, given what the skill actually did. But Divided Arrow, although an improvement, sounds a bit weird. Maybe "Split Arrow" would be better?
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Hm, i dont know now. When i was posting, that skill did 2 arrows with 50% reduction of damage, so i thought that its an arrow divided to two halves or something. Now after some leveling up its 3 arrows, and i guess there will be more with more dexterity. Im not so sure what name to suggest anymore, maybe Multiple shot can stay.