Bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Wingard wrote:Isnt this going a bit overboard? : o
Well it's just a random idea. Up to the dev(s) to choose if he(they?) want to implement it or not.
At least it wouldn't change gameplay and most of it should be pretty easy to do since the game already keeps track of the number of killed monsters for each type.
Nomic

Death Bug

Post by Nomic »

Without trying to debate what death penalties should or should not be, I only wanted to point out an obvious bug with character deaths. It is possible to "die" many times in a second, and also it is possible to die and be resurrected immediately by a health potion or a bone spirit.
To the player it simply looks like all of your gold came flying out of your backpack for no reason while you continue to fight. This is clearly a bug and not behaving as intended.

I have been stashing my gold since I found this out, but it is still a bug and should be reported to the developer(s).
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I've just experienced the gold bug, it can be really quite bad if you're standing on a poison puddle. All but just over 100 of my gold just came flying out of me, enough to fill the room I was in and a considerable amount of the corridor leading to it!

Not fun going back and collecting each of the maybe 100 individual piles, but not the end of the world either. Just something that needs sorting.

As for what should happen when you die, there needs to be some penalty I think. Dropping half your gold is a good idea, because it encourages you to go back and try again so you can collect it instead of just quitting the game. It would also encourage people to take more care in multiplayer, as dying could result in another player scooping up half your gold!

I do like the idea of applying a temporary penalty upon restarting in town. Have it choose a random injury to apply for maybe 5 minutes, with various different types affecting different attributes. For example you could have a Concussion, which would apply a -5 to magic or something. Nothing too major, unless you're careless and get loads of different or stacking ones.

I think as long as a basic philosophy of making death a minor inconvenience and multiple (careless) deaths a more major inconvenience is followed then you'll encourage the right sort of thinking when it comes to heading into the dungeon.

I'm also giving a +1 to the idea of keeping track of deaths. It would also be nice if it recorded the monster (or player name for multiplayer) and damage type that killed you. It wouldn't really be of use to anyone, but it would be interesting to be able to look back on. Of course, that would probably require this multi-death bug to be resolved first!
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf »

I really DISLIKE the idea of death penalty. I found the idea very anoying. Already is anoying now when you die and you need to go back again. Please, no need to waste time with a debuff or just needing to wait.

I do prefer a hardcore option, where if you really want a challenge and the death penalty is as bad as can be.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

I do prefer a hardcore option, where if you really want a challenge and the death penalty is as bad as can be.
Well... the whole point of hardcore character is that dying means you cant play this character anymore. Quite a penalty.

I brought up the dealth penalties point cos now dying is not very meaningful, its just annoying. We can go back and pick up our gold, and even if not we can always earn some more anywhere. (btw who carries big amount of monies in the inventory, learn to put them into the stash yo, guyz).

Having a dead herdcore character is at the moment pretty useless in Diablo 2. It appears on the heroes list but we cant do anything with it. I suggest making the game launchable as a dead hardcore character but with NO option to venture down any dungeon (going out of the Tristram area) or buying/selling any thngs. It will be there just to see the equipment it had, and attributes and spells. You know, for sentimental memories.
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf »

Well, i read about be able to choose your gender, take away the classes. This sound found, but alas, seems not very Diablo.

Anyway, for this path, i found a more depth idea:

You can add bonus and penalties to your character. So you choose how to play.

For example:

You have aoe attack using Maces. This is a virtue
But then, you can choose: you never can equip a shield. This is a penalty, since you cannot equip shields. The list can go on as:

You are afraid when more than 3 mosters are close to you, giving to you a -15% hit.

This time, you can modify your character and make any class you can imagine. But if you choose a character with so many virtues, you will get less experience, and if you choose a character with so much penalties, you will get bonus with experience and magic find.

Sound fun on paper.

Other thing i though. The problem to add new sprite weapons are the sprites need to be done. The way diablo manages the main sprites, is a pain. So, could be possible to use the base of the character unharmed, then add items like shield and weapon from there? That indeed will be a GREAT adition to the game (imagine flaming swords, and so on)
blankname

Post by blankname »

it would be nice to have an .ini file where you could change pre-launch settings like the diabdat path, and other options to change f8-12 macros, disable launch cinematics, etc
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

One more suggestion:

the "Reveal all" option in gambling. Using it would cost 100gp for each character level for each single item offered in gambling at the time. By doing so all items would be identified, BUT thier price would not change.
So for example a 30lvl character is gambling and Gheed offers 12 items. He has to pay 12 x 3000 gp (36 000) ro reveal the statistics of the items. Now he wont buy anything blindly, yet the prices remain the same as they were before the revealing.
riesa

Post by riesa »

Wingard wrote:One more suggestion:

the "Reveal all" option in gambling. Using it would cost 100gp for each character level for each single item offered in gambling at the time. By doing so all items would be identified, BUT thier price would not change.
So for example a 30lvl character is gambling and Gheed offers 12 items. He has to pay 12 x 3000 gp (36 000) ro reveal the statistics of the items. Now he wont buy anything blindly, yet the prices remain the same as they were before the revealing.
it should be 5-10k for item because then gambling is nothing like gambling... what's the point of gamble an item for 200k gold when can identify it for 3k on 30clvl? Gamble is gamble, but if really someone need such a help like ident for gold then not 100gp but, like i said, 5k-10k*character level per item
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

Leave gambling as it is and go backtono penalty after death. Was more fun before when there was no penalty on death.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Wingard wrote:[…]
the "Reveal all" option in gambling. Using it would cost 100gp for each character level for each single item offered in gambling at the time. […]
If I understand it right, that's pretty much how Wirt works, except his price formulae is different ?
That would be OK with me if applied to Wirt, and if he had several items instead of one.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Hmm that gold drop multi death. How do you reproduce that. I get killed by pud ball from acid beast and nothing spectacular happens ;/. Firewall also doesn't work.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

BrightLord wrote:Hmm that gold drop multi death. How do you reproduce that. I get killed by pud ball from acid beast and nothing spectacular happens ;/. Firewall also doesn't work.
It seems to occur when you do something that increases your life (or mana if using mana shield) right at the moment of death. As I primarily play a Sorcerer, it tends to happen to me while trying to drink mana potions while being overwhelmed. I imagine playing a melee character hitting the enemy with life-steal just as you're dying would do the same.
Alex-KS02

Post by Alex-KS02 »

Hi ,
I found a bug - game crashed when I tried to split gold, that located in private / shared stash. In order to make it occur, total gold amount should be equal the gold amount that you are trying to split.
It reproduced on v1.041
Maybe it already was found, sorry for possible duplicate :)
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

New, fantastic, yet hard to implement idea! :)

Okay so what if we have an optional option to display three interface windows at the same time?
Interface windows would be not showing up in always the same places, but were having side of the screen assigned to them (char window LEFT, inventory RIGHT, spellbook RIGHT, questlist LEFT, etc), and then if they were to appear they would firstly check if their part of the screen is avaliable and then appear either on it or on the first free one spot next to it. Windows could prioritize left and right side first to leave the center not covered (so if we open spellbook first the inventory window would appear on the center. if we then close spellbok window the inventory would move to the right to leave the center free).
There would be few interface windows that take two spots instead of one (dialog window, spells chart, map of the stars).

Here are the examples of such system working in the 1024x600 and 1366x768 resolutions:
http://s12.postimg.org/5eiliivj1/3windowsceen4.jpg
http://s12.postimg.org/be6cm6gbh/3windowsceen5.jpg
http://s12.postimg.org/6jcnnwhzx/3windowsceen6.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/sjt04j0nx/3windowsceen1.jpg
http://s12.postimg.org/t6rwu1xjx/3windowsceen2.jpg
http://s12.postimg.org/hy94siucd/3windowsceen3.jpg

Ive decided to move spells chart so that it wont cover other interface windows.