Barbarian Help

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Gilligan

Barbarian Help

Post by Gilligan »

Okay, so I'm currently on my nightmare playthrough and lemmie tell ya, the barb is hard. (IMO)

I just have a few questions as I'm stuck on Izual.

Does "half freeze duration" stack?

Is it redundant to have over 100% hit recovery?

Am I constantly going to be pigeonholed into using very fast attack speed items only?

Should I be diversifying my attribute points more? I Have mostly been dumping into strength.

Somehow, I managed to beat the smith after 10 attempts, but does he get even more affixes with each difficulty?

I would just love to have some tips from a fellow barb player, as I only ever see wizard tips for stuff, it seems that this game is balanced solely around spellcasters. Maybe that's just my ignorance.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Brimer

Re: Barbarian Help

Post by Brimer »

Fellow barbarian here who managed to complete the game and get him to level 60 (only character). You need to find an item with cannot be frozen or set of items that give you cannot be frozen. You can check this form for unique items and set items with that property. Yes, I think no point of getting over 100% hit recovery. Weapon speed is really important, so I think you should aim for something that has very fast attack speed. For attribute points, I went for dex and str only. A suggestion can be to have 216 in str (to wear giant skull without any needed str-bonus from other items) and rest into dexterity. Good luck!
Gilligan

Post by Gilligan »

Thanks, Ill keep that in mind. Do you know if items that have base attack speed set to very fast, that also benefit from attack speed bonuses still scale up the attack speed? Or is it just capped at the very fast value? I love this game, but I wish the stats were more transparent.
Brimer

Post by Brimer »

It scales up the attack speed. So items with increased attack speed are very useful. Collect all Trang oul set items you can find and see if you can get the full set. That set is very powerful for a barbarian except for torment. In torment you must have ignore target defence on your weapon.
Kahoder

Post by Kahoder »

Yeah, sorc is awesome, but dwinles later on.
Anyhow,
currently doing a playthrough farming diablo normal with barb before pushing nightmare.

Here is what the stats do
Str : Reqs, flat damage, critical damage
Dex : Reqs, flat damage, flat AC, critical chance
Mag : Reqs, mana
Vit : Reqs(some spells), life

I can't recall if either str or dex boosts physical resistance
Physical resistance is capped per armor type.

Counting the quests stat boosts I am currently doing
something along the lines of 100VIT, 80DEX, everything else to STR

As for tips :

The idea is to always keep frenzy stacks at maximum, cleave is your main tool for not getting gimped or surrounded. You can pretty much shift+attack and let them go into cleave, like the "stay in front of the door and attack" trick, but since cleave is 3 squares in front, it also works on wider passages.Just in case you need a more defensive playstyle. I rarely use rage and inner fire as they are on a timer and situational. Keep hitting and put them in hitstun before being put in hit stun. That's basically the bread and butter.

Otherwise yeah,

cannot be frozen
life leech
faster hit recovery
a good 1h/shield or 2h or the dual wielding sets, ideally with as much attack speed as you can muster
maxed resists