Mod doesn't work

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
MaxKlaus

Mod doesn't work

Post by MaxKlaus »

Hello,
I downloaded this mod and was very excited to try this out. But when I started the game it said "Failed to create palette files: levels/towndata/town.pal".
Can somebody help me please?
Ugily

Re: Mod doesn't work

Post by Ugily »

copy the original MPQ file from Diablo 1 cd-rom to your Belzebub and Tchernobog install folder

Run in administer mode
tester009

Post by tester009 »

I have the same issue in my computer running Windows 10. Your instructions did not fix the problem unfortunately. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Search the forum up above with the Search button and use the term "Failed to create palette"

A few earlier posts have been made on this topic. Not much information or solutions though, sorry. One reply said there may be a hardware incompatibility or there may be a corrupted copy or invalid copy of the MPQ file.

Do you have the original CD rom?
tester009

Post by tester009 »

Thanks for the reply! I fixed the issue by using the original .mpq file from here:
https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard
The one I had had only half the size as the original. Anyways, it works like a charm now!
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

Heh. The mpq file can be from demo version of Diablo. Or some people here can live in non-english speaking countries. So they try to use spanish, german or russian-translated (and bugged) version
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

If you can't find (or doesn't own) a version of d1, it can still be bought on GoG.

You can get the files from the "offline backup" download, or even copy the mod into the game folder after using the GoG installer.
This is not meant as an advertisement, just help. I'm currently running the mod this way, so I can confirm it works.