modding the portraits?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
HeathenSkin

modding the portraits?

Post by HeathenSkin »

Hi all, Ive been playing with the Belzebub HD mod and I am loving it so far. I like the new classes and the overall quality of the mod is very nice. I have one gripe and thats the new character portraits. They dont fit at all and feel as they were placed as a joke perhaps. Arnold Schwarzenegger from Conan as a portrait for barbarian and some Game of Thrones images for the other 2 classes... I think (assassin and necromancer).

I wanted to make my own portraits using assets from Diablo 2 to match the portraits of the original 3 characters (warrior, rogue,sorcerer) but couldn't get it to work as the sprites didnt really match the new portraits and The artwork I found didnt fit together with the other original characters. So I started from scratch and built whole new portraits for all the characters using artwork from around the net.

I tried to keep it as consistent as i could using different artists but continuing with a certain style. I also tried to make the portraits look like the sprites as they look when you create a new character. I used MPQ Edit to extract the .pcx file for the portraits the mod had used and built my own on top of that template.

I have finished the portraits now and would like to mod them back in but am new to Diablo 1 modding and dont know how to do this really. I have tried with MPQ Edit and a few other programs but dont have the know how to resolve this. If someone has experience in Diablo 1 modding and can help me edit the data.mpq for Belzebub or do the necessary edits to get this to work in the mod I would be very grateful. I can send the files or we can work on new ones to fit your needs if you want. Thank you.
Ugily

Re: modding the portraits?

Post by Ugily »

post a few pics
HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

i went back to tweak a few things on them but i think they are done now. are you able to help with the project? i could make custom portraits for you if you could help replacing the ones in the mod? I love the mod to bits and this is why i am doing this because all of it is really great but those portraits...ech...get me every time. After doing this now myself i cant say it was easy to find images that reflect the characters so im sure the original modder did what they saw fit, But for me personally i thought id make adjustments because they didnt feel as polished.

Ugily

Post by Ugily »

I don't have the skills for modding. I am just a gamer that really enjoys the Diablo 1 HD Mod. I have played every character so far and beaten Torment with Rogue and could also win with Necro if I put the time to it.

I am compiling a list of suggestions right now that hopefully Qndel, Devs, and other players can discuss.

Don't expect any more development in Belzebub. At some point, hopefully soonish, Quests will be enabled in Tchernobog along with other bug fixes, enhancements, and game balance issues.

For contact with Qndel, head over to his Discord channel - Tchernobog.
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

ok, you want to modify some pictures in the game which you will see 1-2 minutes when you open the character selection screen. you extracted the pcx files and made some work cutting/cropping some anime pictures. So, what's your problem? what you mean by "the sprites didnt really match the new portraits and The artwork I found didnt fit together with the other original characters"? What you tried to do and what's the result? you can't drag'n'drop pcx file into opened in mpqedit folder window? or you just see some acid color glitches instead of your art on the selection screen? original diablo used the 256 color palette, some colors common for all screens/levels, some altered, some used fof animation/flickering effect of lava/water/etc. so you must find the graphics editor for the pcx files, capable of importing palettes, work in 256 color spaces and dithering imported graphics with the loaded palette colors. not sure about the green flames on necromancer portrait, maybe this color just not present in the character selection screen
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

Yep. No green color.
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

Damn.. that's funny
HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

Juggernought wrote: 23 Jun, 2020 13:03 ok, you want to modify some pictures in the game which you will see 1-2 minutes when you open the character selection screen. you extracted the pcx files and made some work cutting/cropping some anime pictures. So, what's your problem? what you mean by "the sprites didnt really match the new portraits and The artwork I found didnt fit together with the other original characters"? What you tried to do and what's the result? you can't drag'n'drop pcx file into opened in mpqedit folder window? or you just see some acid color glitches instead of your art on the selection screen? original diablo used the 256 color palette, some colors common for all screens/levels, some altered, some used fof animation/flickering effect of lava/water/etc. so you must find the graphics editor for the pcx files, capable of importing palettes, work in 256 color spaces and dithering imported graphics with the loaded palette colors. not sure about the green flames on necromancer portrait, maybe this color just not present in the character selection screen
Thanks for the fun reply. So what i did was index the colors so that they used 256 colors and replaced the green flame with a skull to get it to at least show something. i had tried something similar before but still got the same error. shown in the image here. dragging and dropping or trying to save over the file give me this same error. would it be possible to send you the file and ask if you could merge it with the mpq, you seem to have a better understanding of what needs to be done to get it to work. Image
HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

Juggernought wrote: 23 Jun, 2020 23:29 Image
Damn.. that's funny

Now THATS anime!
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

You must read this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2204
And this
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2190
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

ok, all works.
file Data/game_data/data.mpq
ui_art/heros.pcx
Juggernought

Post by Juggernought »

that's better
HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

Juggernought wrote: 24 Jun, 2020 22:45 Image
that's better
Did you do it in normal Diablo or in the Belzebub mod? If i send you the file for my portraits can you send me back a modded. belzebub data.mpq? I read your suggestions but couldnt really find a solution to my problem. I would really love it if you helped me with this. Here is the file for the new version. I really would be grateful because I really enjoy the mod , i just wanted to fix this one thing for personal use and you seem to know the ins and outs. im still noob at diablo modding. the file is already indexed to use the color pallet. just has to be placed in the data.mpq and i can get it to work. maybe you know how to do it.

HeathenSkin

Post by HeathenSkin »

I see you like Broforce, so I put Broforce in your Broforce!