Vitality bonus

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Uhtred

Vitality bonus

Post by Uhtred »

The current beelzebub game has only 2 good attributes for melee/ranged: str and Dex; only magic for wizard and vitality for necro.
In that case vitality is just a stupid attribute for such classes that it was supposed to be vital like the warrior (+2 life? For God sakes.)
The tchernobog has already changed it to +3 life which makes slightly better, even though would be nice to have others addition like the same defense bonus as dex for example.
Another thing to mention is that characters that rely on life to engage enemies on melee combat actually has less life than wizard if we consider mana and mana shield. My level 50 wizard for example, full geared has about 1400 mana and 500 life. My warrior level 51 800 life and 300 mana. This is the opposite meaning of balance.

I know the beelzebub developer has already left this game but I wonder if it's possible to change the game engine somehow to change those values. Is it even possible?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

So the guy I know who does code editing says it should be one of the easiest things to do in the code itself. Get MPQeditor, look for the large equation that ends up being all the possible variables that could be applied to the Warrior's health, find the one that says V(2) [for "+2x VIT stat"; it might be a different letter] and change that 2 to 3 or any other number you want. Of course he makes it sound easy, I wouldn't make any dinner plans for the same night.. but at least there shouldn't be any unexpected side effects as long as you're staying in that string of numbers.

As always, make a backup before you go knee-deep in there, and happy hunting. Once winter comes around I don't have a lot on my plate so I figured maybe I would spend it looking for an editing GUI that wouldn't be too hard to finagle this mod into. It would certainly be nice to not have to stare at bricks of code just to make a few changes like this.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Uhtred

Post by Uhtred »

Nice, Wendigo. I am definitely looking forward to it.

About the Vitality question, what are your thoughts about it? Do you think it is balanced as it is or a change could be done? If so, which change?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Oh I don't think it could hurt. It has always seemed strange to me that the Warrior is the one, canonicaly, to take down Dibs and yet is one of the worst at doing so. I agree with Ugily's earlier statement that the biggest setback for the melee classes is the lack of ITD weapons... seriously I won the game with a frickin' knife?... but not running out of potions quite so quick certainly couldn't hurt the Warrior's survivability.

I think I've hit a bit of a sea change when it comes to modding the mod. There's a lot of players out there, I'm sure, who still love this game but have also done all they're realistically going to do with the code as written; especially since we have Tcherno in development I say it's time we start tinkering with Belze where we can... with the hefty warning that it's all completely unofficial, could break your copy of the game, and if you're playing with the 'cheats' before you've played the base game you're only spoiling your own fun. In truth Belz is probably ready for a Garry's Mod-style "let's go nuts, now go put up YouTube videos of the craziest crap" addition, if I had the chops to write such a thing. I don't, but hey, if you think the game's more fun with the Warrior maybe not being quite so crap, then let's see if we can't make that happen at least.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Uhtred

Post by Uhtred »

I absolutely agree with you. The warrior is the "main hero" of the game and yet one of the weakest. I can easily put down Dibs at torment with my rogue and sorcerer, both full geared. Meanwhile I could only beat the game as warrior when I borrowed both weapons of viz jaqtar set from a shared stash. Without it i found an impossible goal. (Another problem of the game is the dropping rate of the greatest items).

The game would be a lot fun if we could feel some balance when playing with our favorites characters, which is in my case the warrior. Having less life than the wizard (considering mana) is quite annoying. I die a lot using the best gear possible and having all resistances 90%. The char has no AOE which makes it hard to clean torment levels. Charge should have adjacent damage as well.

If I could I would modify at least the vitality bonus but I did what u suggested and could not edit the MPQ. All i saw was the speeches files and such. I wonder if someone is able to do so and can share the knowledge.