What weapons should i use for the new classes?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
brunocar

What weapons should i use for the new classes?

Post by brunocar »

Ok, so, you are of course supposed to equip the original 3 with 1h melee and shield for the warrior, staves for the mage and a bow for the rogue.

what should i equip the new classes with? according to the guide im supposed to equip the barb with 2h melee weapons and the assasin with 1h melee (i heard something about shields reducing damage, how does that work?) but it doesnt say what i should use for the necro and i've seen people equip the barb with a shield, so, what is best for these 3?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

It's largely just a matter of personal preference and whatever unique/set equipment you find. Barbarians specialize in axes, but for the most part axes are slow and sucky and you don't do enough damage to justify the loss of your best defensive slot. As the game progresses, however, they become so tough you won't need tha defense... but I usually still end up swinging a sword with my Barbs because of the faster attack speed. I also prioritize having at least enough magic to cast Town Portal and other utility spells... a barb teleporting into a group of succubi and cleaving them all down in a matter of swings is a thing of beauty. I call it 'the hello nurse.'

Assassin abilities specialize more in quick sneaking lethal hits and stuns, though, so the loss of defense isn't so much of an issue (although the loss of the slot certainly is). Plus there's just the fact that she's a glass cannon so that shield isn't buying you a lot of time anyways.

Necros have no specialization, or at least that's what the documentation says and I haven't found any weapon that works any better for them. Since Necros have minions and lots of hit points you start out being able to do whatever you want, doing either a bad mage impression behind a wall of skellies or getting in there with a sword and board and just tanking hits. You'll mostly want to equip exclusively to maximize your affixes.

Although this is just me, I really do recommend just trying out diiferent permutations until you find something that works for you. That's the advantage of the extended classes, you don't feel nearly as pigeonholed to keep playing the same way each time.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
brunocar

Post by brunocar »

awesome! then i'll focus on tanking till i get a good axe with the barb, 1h melee without the shield for the assassin (that way i'll give any good shield i find to the barb) and as for the necro, right now im playing him like a spellcaster, so maybe i'll try making him a melee tank with hand me downs from the barb once i get better gear.