looking for help to install and play mod

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Pitch Ninja

looking for help to install and play mod

Post by Pitch Ninja »

Hi, just as the subject says, I am wondering if someone might be able to guide me in installing this in order to play it. I ran into some complications trying to do it and have searched for similar issues from others but I didn't see any detailed solutions. Bear in mind, I have Diablo downloaded from GoG website but from what I understand, the mod should still be playable with that.

So I downloaded both tchernobog and the belzebub mods(I wasn't sure which one I needed) I tried copying all the files and then pasting them into the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Diablo

Right into that folder. I am not sure if that was right but that's what I had thought based on various instructions. Well, I tried double-clicking the Belzebub or the Tchernobog mods and also even running them as administrator and I got the message:

"The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR100.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I am not sure what any of that means but I was reading a post on GoG about it which said that I should try downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable so I did that. I get the same error message so that didn't help. I am not sure what else to ty and was wondering if someone might be willing to message back and forth to kinda guide me if they had this similar problem and were able to find a solution. I would really appreciate it if so.

Ideally I wanted to play via single player the version that has the recent fixes to the necromancer class. Would that be belzebub?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Welcome to the forums!
The only mistake you made was that you cannot have both Belzebub and Tchernobog installed on a single copy of the original Diablo. You can have a copy of each, in their own folders, but there's too many discrepancies between the two to run with each other... yet.

I am not sure how to revert your original copy o Diablo back to it's original state, but that is what you'll have to do; I know that GoG has an excellent policy for simply requesting a new copy, which is good since the specialize in old games that might not work right the first time. If for some reason they're not going to give you a new freebie, I can probably figure out the files you'll have to delete but it'll take some time. Make a copy of that reversion in it's own folder, click the Install.exe file to unpack the rest of the files, keeping the original nice and safe; then, as you did before, simply unzip either Belz or Tchernobog into it and let it overwrite as needed. If you want to play both repeat the process in another folder.

It sounds like you want to use Tchernobog. The differences are:
Belzebub has all of the quests enabled, is single-player only, and is not receiving updates at this time.
Tchernobog has very few of the quests, and is designed for multi-player but can easily be run single-player, and is currently under construction; the last patch was less than a month ago (I think). Quests for this mod are coming as they are built.
Everything else about the two versions (the updated graphics and interface, new weapons including set weapons, etc.) is identical for the two mods.

If you'd like to continue this via PM I am available, although it would probably be better to just keep this thread going so everyone with this problem in the future can see it too (and also because I might not necessarily have all the answers).
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Pitch Ninja

Post by Pitch Ninja »

Sure thing I can post here. So I actually did not paste both into one folder, guess I should have mentioned that. I tried one and then when it failed to work, I sorted the files by date modified that way I could just cut them out of the diablo folder and put them back in the downloaded folders. I don't know if that helped or not but as it stands, none of the files are in the original diablo folder currently.

I forgot to also ask, am I able to go back and play the original diablo without the mod if I ever want to?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Ah, that's very clever, I'm stealing that for future reference.

First things first. Did you indeed reinstall like the error screen suggested? For competelness, from scratch, the process is:
1. Download Diablo and unzip to it's own folder. (I realized after my first message you should still have a copy of the zipped package in your downloads folder)
2. Double-click SETUP, sorry I said install before. Then when the pop-up window appears click Install. A whole bunch of new files should appear in the folder.
3. Download either Belzebub or Tchernobog, and unzip directly to the Diablo folder; 'overwrite all' when it asks.
3b. (Not actually required but heavily recommended: right-click the Belzebub/Tchernobog icon and select 'run as administrator' and then 'run in compatibility mode.')
4. Double-click the Belzebub/Tchernobog icon to play

And then when you downloaded the msvcr100.dll patch, you got it from a site like this one and it installed just fine without any errors?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5555

If you've done all that let me know your operating system and we'll go from there.

You can't really play the original Diablo once you've put Belz/Tcherno over it. Technically you can get there from the Setup file and selecting 'play Diablo,' but it'll mess up your save files. You can easily just make another folder, though. It won't have any of the graphic updates or anything though, obviously.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Pitch Ninja

Post by Pitch Ninja »

Okay so does it matter that there actually wasn't a zip folder that I downloaded from GoG? It was installed by GoG's installer or whatever it is called and from there it had made its own folder.

That link you gave also was exactly where I downloaded that. My OS is Windows 10. Idk I have a feeling we might need to instant message if at all possible that way everything is a bit more quick and concise. I could always post the steps I took here after it's all said and done. I figured that way maybe it would save a ton of needless reading for everyone and they'd have all the info in one post. Let me know if you'd think that might be a better route to go.