How to get more magical, rare, unique,recipes and set items?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
SyncroScales

How to get more magical, rare, unique,recipes and set items?

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi,

Is there a was to increase the chances of finding magical, rare, unique and set items?

A rogue I am using has no magic find but the armour and weapons are good. A lot of magical and rare items are found. The recipe scrolls, uniques and set items are not as common from level 1 - hell 16 terror domain on normal.

Is it the character level or amount of experience gained? If a character was level 60 with the most experience and most or all quests done on all difficulties, Can a player still find lesser unique and set items? E.g: The Needler (qlvl 5) crossbow? Or will the player usually find things such as the Buriza-Do Kyanon (qlvl 56) crossbow? Does your private box, shared box or another character file affect anything?

I have a question about rares and uniques. Can I tell the difference when I am looking at them in my inventory and just pick them up from a dead enemy? Do I have to always identify the items I pick up? I noticed a few magical items turned into uniques, rather than rare/yellow items.

I noticed that the uniques description is a different shade of yellow than the rare items. The uniques colour in the description is the same as the quest items such as The Griswold's Edge, Unique mace Lightforge, etc.

Thanks.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Is there a was to increase the chances of finding magical, rare, unique and set items?
In Belzebub it could be done by stacking your Magic Find stat which is found on various equipment. In general, fighting over and over some tough enemy (like Lazarus or Diablo supers in Terror's Domain; or at least just rare monsters) is effective way of getting better items. There's also a common strategy of teleporting over enemies in Lost Treasure cave right until you reach the last room which is safe and contains lots of goods. Notice that teleporting so much unharmed would require good cast speed so it might fail on attack characters. The whole purpose of this strategy is to skip enemies while getting the reward. It is worth noting that this strategy is also more useful on further difficulty levels.
Does your private box, shared box or another character file affect anything?
In Belzebub they don't. In Tchernobog there's a bug (I assume it IS a bug) where you can't find unique/set item if you already have that item on your character or any of personal/trade stash.
Can I tell the difference when I am looking at them in my inventory and just pick them up from a dead enemy?
There's a feature taken from original Diablo that unique item would look the same as their item base until you ID them.
Do I have to always identify the items I pick up?
As far as your itemisation concern goes, you do. You don't necessarily have to ID items if regardless of their stats you're planning on salvaging them using crafting bench.
I noticed a few magical items turned into uniques, rather than rare/yellow items.
It is either bug with very rare occurance rate or (and more likely) you overlooked it, having an actual rare or unique item picked up.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thank you for the reply Miacis.

I did find a unique weapon after the post. The colour of the description was slightly different. (qlvl 3) Black Razor Dagger. The other items were bright yellow so there is a way to tell it is a unique.

If I completely ignore the magic find or do not really have anything higher than a certain percentage, will I have a chance for higher level uniques, set items and recipes? I find them without the Magic Find stat. It is just for them to happen more often or have higher stats?

Could you have 100% magic find or higher? Are you guaranteed certain items or the max stats they give?
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

I did find a unique weapon after the post. The colour of the description was slightly different.
Unique item's colour is indeed different to a rare item colour. Unique is more pale and is rather gold than yellow.
If I completely ignore the magic find or do not really have anything higher than a certain percentage, will I have a chance for higher level uniques, set items and recipes?
Recipes are not affected by Magic Find, I believe. Unique, set and rare items are affected.
Could you have 100% magic find or higher? Are you guaranteed certain items or the max stats they give?
You are only guaranteed a unique item if it is a quest reward on normal difficulty and the stats on any unique items are totally random except for those which can't have range, i.e. "Altered Durability" on Black Razor unique dagger.
Yes magic find can be higher than 100% but it isn't very profitable to invest into it too heavy. Going above 200% usually makes no sense. I'd stick to "anything above 100%" amount of Magic Find.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
danielson

Post by danielson »

Can a player still find lesser unique and set items?
Yes, he/she can. I find normal uniques (for example unique Chain Mail, Belt, Flail) on my hell difficulty Andariel place/Secret Tunnel runs all the time.

Btw, you can also try farm on Cathedral level 1-4 from nightmare difficulty in a quick way (for example Teleport and cast Apocalypse, Chain Lightning spells). I heard from back then (from Tunngle players) it's an effective method to find especially lower crafting recipes but also uniques, sets and to accumulate gold... Or just to enjoy one/two-shotting everything the cheapest and earliest way possible :D.
riesa

Post by riesa »

@SyncroScales
Check 'Jarulf's guide to Diablo' how items are created. There were even Jarulf's guide to D2, when you would understand whole process with applying magic find, but you must base on this guide for vanilla D1. The thing is that firstly game rolls type of item (scroll/potion/book/eq), then rolls for what this item is. So let's say it rolled skull cap. In Belzebub (like in D2) then it rolls its quality (normal/exceptional/elite) and finally rolls for final quality (norm/mag/rare/uniq/set). After that one last roll - stats.

So yes, on Torment you can find low lvl uniques/sets, rarely low lvl rares... Rares are usually dropped with reqlvl close to mlvl of monsters.

So afterall - scrolls/pots/books aren't affected by MF. And when we consider Lost Treasure chests... Chests are not affected by MF, remember that. Second thing about those particular chests, that i realized years ago... It drops rares for iffiulty lower than you've opened them in. So nightmare chests drops up to reqlvl19 (so like gear perfect for normal), hell up to reqlvl29 iirc (so perfect for nightmare), and i can't remember now how torment looks like. But still, you can't farm best gear only on LT quest, to drop sth that will improve to kill Diablo on same difficulty.
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks everyone.

danielson - I watched a video about someone using a sorcerer on YouTube for what you describe.

riesa - I have looked a little bit at Jarulf's guide. It is a lot to look at in one read.

This is one place to find it: https://archive.org/details/Diablo_Hell ... ide_Jarulf

Miacis - Altered Durability is not going to change at all. I did not know what that means. What about a crafting recipe or upgrade for it?

I have noticed there are regular or magical items (e.g.: staves) that have similar stats to some of the uniques, but not the same pictures.