Questions about weapons, armour and walking speed.

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
SyncroScales

Questions about weapons, armour and walking speed.

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi,

I watched a video about Diablo 2 characters. There is an Amazon(Rogue) that can be built that shoots multiple arrows that pierce and emit magic.

Diablo 2: The Bow Amazon (Class Build Video) - Nexius - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0Li9aDS2s

It starts at about 10:27, 12:00, etc.

Are there any weapons in the Belzebub MOD that do this for the Rogue or each character? There are skills and set items. The rogue has Multi shot, pierce shot, sightless eye. But does a weapon use multiple things at once?

And what are the advantages of the items such as the Heartseeker Bow? They reduce attributes. Is it for the whole Set? Does the whole Set Items offset the loss of attributes or those items are difficult to find?

Can a character walk faster when not in town? Or only with a certain shrine?

Thanks.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

It would be entirely possible for a unique or set bow to copy the features of a class skill, but it is not used much on the current set of equipment in this mod. I believe the only affix that appears like that is Piercing Attack (which appears on bows like the Demon Machine and Fist of the Heavens).

The reason why Heartseeker is considered the best bow (or really, weapon) in the game is mostly due to the fact that it's a ranged weapon with Ignore Target Defense on top of a bunch of other relevant affixes. It's hard to express how broken that gets as the levels get deeper and monster armor and resistances get stronger. The Rogue sits in the unique spot of being able to deal ranged, physical damage efficiently; she pays for that by having a lackluster damage output, so having that ITD is really the only way she's going to keep up her DPS enough to deal with a lot of the end-game bosses. The fact that Heartseeker also happens to have just, like, ALL the damage-boosting affixes on top of that is just the gravy that makes it so good. The stat reductions are completely inconsequential compared to the advantages it brings to the table.

There are a few items, such as the Batskin's Cape, that improve your overall speed, but not in any meaningful way. In the original Diablo they made the walking speed slow on purpose to give older computers more time to process before you got anywhere, but yes, it gets ponderous sometimes on this mod.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi Wendigo,

Thanks for the reply.

I looked more on the main page for this Belzebub Diablo HD MOD. I looked at some of the items and unique/rare items. I found more information including about what you are explaining to me.

I noticed characters benefit from two different types of weapons for the immunity. It seems if someone used spells sometimes they do not work on enemies or they are slow until the spell level is higher.

So when does it become almost impossible to fight monsters? After normal? Is it possible to run around and just use the bow with the Rogue against a boss such as Diablo?

Does an item with ignore targets defense work against everything? If I used the weapon or magic (or wore armour and other clothing) should it do some sort of damage? It seems every character has one or more magical/unique/rare/set weapon/armour that can do this. Is there a difference? Some ignore target's defense staves shoot holy bolt, but it does not affect all monsters.

E.G.: I have 2 Staff of Shadows Long Staff. I noticed it helped when using a Sorcerer, but I did not understand the game to see it's benefits. There is a lack of mana steal or replenishment.

Is it possible to craft or find an item that does everything someone would want? Mana and life steal/replenish, ignore targets defense, indestructable, raise all stats 20+, etc? Are all of the magical and unique item finds random? They seem to be based or affected by the character being played, the character level, the amount of time playing and the experience points. E.G.: I have finsihed The Anvil Of Fury quest with two characters. One's stats were slightly better than the other. The Griswold's Edge has slightly different stats and is better from the more experienced character.

Thanks.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

The question of how hard the game gets is not a clear-cut answer. It's more about switching tactics. A Rogue or especially a Necromancer, for example, start out with lots of different options for how to progress: you can get by on one or two spells (and which two spells they are is another level of variety), swinging a sword with some good tanking armor, run and gun, or whatever at the beginning.. but as you go through the difficulties those options start to lose their effectiveness and you end up falling back on more and more on your class abilities. This works well because your class abilities, by and large, start out pretty useless but get better the higher level you are (with some notable exceptions like the Barb's Cleave or Sorc's Mana Shield). At the beginning of the game a Necro's skeleton minions are utterly pointless, but by the end of the game the horde of tough, hard-hitting skellies he can summon are the most effective ability in the game.

So with a Rogue you'll find yourself almost totally dependent on a run+gun+Golem strategy, backed up by a good Bow, by about the beginning of Torment difficulty or so, but by then you'll be high enough level that you'll be using that strategy anyway.
The lowest-level character I've seen beat Torment Diablo was 43, and a Rogue, and they spammed the hell out of their class abilities, so yes, it is definitely possible to kill him that way.

Ignore Target Defense only works for damage from the weapon with that affix, as far as I know. Magic attacks don't care about the enemy's defense, they only care about that creature's resistance to their element. That Lightning Bolt might not do anything when it hits, but as long as the bolt itself contacts the monster it will hit them. That Staff of Shadows will only ITD on a monster if you walk up to them and swing it like a baseball bat, which, yeah, isn't, uh, isn't recommended.
There are a great deal of useful hand weapons with ITD, especially Zarakumite's Ceremonial Knife and The Grandfather swords, and they are great weapons, but ITD isn't "as" necessary for a melee class like Warrior or Barbarian because unlike the Rogue, they hit for a hell of a lot more with each swing and can expect to punch plenty of damage through with or without the enemy's armor intact.

Effectively no, it isn't possible to craft/find a single piece of equipment with everything on it. Some affixes will only appear on certain pieces of equipment; for example, you cannot craft "Fire Hit" onto a broach even though there is a unique broach in the game that has that. The unique weapons were all hand-made by the modders themselves and so sometimes break the standard rules.
The rules governing crafting and affixes are dizzyingly complicated and I won't try to pretend I'm any sort of expert at them either. Essentially yes, you should always be as high a level and as deep in the dungeons as possible when trying to craft or grind items. You should also try to have as high a Magic Find% as possible on your collection of equipment as possible to get the best results when grinding, and the best possible recipe when crafting. Those are the hard and fast rules and will get you through the whole of the game. Crafting especially rewards curiosity so feel free to experiment as you wish, just be aware that crafting a 'perfect' item would make the time it takes to find a HeartSeeker look paltry by comparison.

On the other hand, the rules regarding Uniques are much simpler. They are all rolled randomly when generated.. so while it may seem tempting to chalk up your higher-level character to getting the better version, it was all just by chance.

Oh jeez that's a chunker. Sorry for the wall of text.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thank you.