Is it possible to use custom resolutions?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
tawapo

Is it possible to use custom resolutions?

Post by tawapo »

I found that offered widescreen resolutions are too big for my normal use. Would it be possible to set game to native fullscreen 1024x576? Or anything else that is lower than 720p and still 16:9 like 1066x600? Normal fullscreen HD resolutions look great on my 1920x1080 monitor but they increase character view distance, which in my case takes away that old-Diablo feeling from 90's. I know that I can use in-game zoom but it makes things too blurry compared to native fullscreen. Scaled resolutions are also blurry. Stretching native resolutions is visually even worse and I hate to use boxed view.
tawapo

Post by tawapo »

I haven't found out how to use 1024x576 but I could use "Custom Resolution Utility" tool to add 1066x600 and 1152x648 to my listed Windows 10 resolutions and game has recognized them properly. First one is lowest 16:9 that Windows 10 accepted while second is lowest 16:9 that is divisible by 8.

Still hoping for 1024x576.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

I know that most of the video card manufacturers have downloadable custom resolution/screen size apps or utilities, but I have no experience with them. I can't see how they wouldn't do what you're hoping, though. Just make sure to get the one tied to your video card. Personally I just bought a bigger TV, lol.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
tawapo

Post by tawapo »

The problem is related to Windows. It simply does not allow to select any resolution that is below 600px height through main resolution selection box. Many applications and games, including this Diablo mod are using this resolution selection box to get a list of usable resolutions. Perhaps there is some soft of workaround for this but I haven't seen any.

In case of custom resolutions, like in my case, I had to use Custom Resolution Utility tool to add them to "resolution selection box"(or how it's properly called) because apparently Windows 10 has no easy way of adding new resolutions natively. After doing so I just had to restart computer and changes appeared in game's video settings box.

It is fully possible to select and set different Windows desktop resolution through advanced settings or through video card driver(if driver supports it), but games like Diablo 1 Belzebub don't support it.
tawapo

Post by tawapo »

Also, in order to get sharper low resolution images on big displays it's possible to use some of new upscalers like waifu2x or ESRGAN. But it's up to developers to implement it.
nazgren

Post by nazgren »

I know Im a bit behind but i get all the resolutions to work for me but the scaling gets a bit buggy towards the 4k end, even on my 4k monitor with windows running at 4k, gotta do down to 1440 for it to scale right and to be able to get my mouse to the bottom of the screen.