Character stats - Starting, base maximum and max.

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
SyncroScales

Character stats - Starting, base maximum and max.

Post by SyncroScales »

Hello,

I was looking at Jarulf's Guide to Diablo and Hellfire version 1.62 by Pedro Faria / Jarulf. https://archive.org/details/Diablo_Hell ... ide_Jarulf

It says characters have a certain maximum of stats for the base stats and then armor, items, weapons, etc can enhance them.

Is there a limit for each character? What are the Diablo HD MOD max base stats and maximum stats? I used a Sorcerer and his Strength is 48. Which is over the 45 limit. Are the Necromancer and Assassin similar to the Monk and Bard? Is the Barbarian the same?

I was wondering if it is possible to make sure that the Quests such as The Black Mushroom and Lost Treasure give the +3 base attributes during each difficulty, so they are not lost. That is +3 x 4 = 12. 48 extra points total. If a base attribute is max, then will the +3 attributes be applied to the other attributes or not be used by the base stat that is max? e.g.: Strength is 45 max, but the +3 attribute is divided into the dexterity, magic or vitality and those three get the +3 attribute they normally get also? Or only magic, dexterity and vitality get +3 attributes?

Jarulf's Guide to Diablo and Hellfire version 1.62 by Pedro Faria / Jarulf

2.1.1 Starting stats
Each character class has its own starting values for the basic stats. They are listed below. Also listed are which stats are increased and by how much when you gain a level. Apart from those, you also gain 5 ”points” to distribute among your four main stats until they have reached their maximum value. Shrines and some monsters have the ability to alter your stats, too. See appropriate chapters for more information.
Class Strength Magic Dexterity Vitality Life Mana Effect of Level
Warrior 30 10 20 25 70 10 +2 life, +1 mana
Rogue 20 15 30 20 45 22 +2 life, +2 mana
Sorcerer 15 35 15 20 30 70 +1 life, +2 mana
Monk 25 15 25 20 45 22 +2 life, +2 mana
Bard 20 20 25 20 45 35 +2 life, +2 mana
Barbarian 40 0 20 25 70 0 +2 life, +0 mana

1 You don’t get any life or mana when gaining level 50.
2 The Barbarian also gets 1% resistance per level.

2.1.2 Maximum stats
When your stats turn golden they have reached their maximum value and can only be increased by wearing items that increases them further (life and mana never turn golden). The table below lists the maximum stats for each character class assuming a naked character. Note that you don’t get any life or mana when you gain level 50.
Class Max - Strength Magic Dexterity Vitality Life Mana
Warrior 250 50 60 100 316 98
Rogue 55 70 250 80 201 173
Sorcerer 45 250 85 80 138 596
Monk 150 80 150 80 201 183
Bard 120 120 120 100 221 231
Barbarian 255 0 55 150 416 0

The table below also shows the maximum stats, but this time when equipped with items that give the maximum stat increase. Note that it is not possible to reach those maximum values all at once. When two numbers are given the first one belongs to Diablo and the second one to Hellfire. The reason for this is the use of four new unique rings only available in Hellfire. It does not take into account the possibility of the use of two new unique jewelry in Hellfire that move life to/from mana.
Class Max - Strength Magic Dexterity Vitality Life Mana
Warrior
425 / 485 - 225 / 285 - 225 / 285 - 265 / 325 - 796 / 916 - 533 / 568
Rogue
230 / 290 - 245 / 305 - 415 / 475 - 245 / 305 - 681 / 741 - 690 / 718
Sorcerer
220 / 280 - 425 / 485 - 250 / 310 - 245 / 305 - 618 / 618 - 1 196 / 1 216
Monk
385 - 315 - 375 - 305 - 741 - 728
Bard
370 - 360 - 360 - 340 - 761 - 865
Barbarian
490 - 235 - 280 - 375 - 1 091 - 470

Thank you.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Documentation regarding all of these issues can be found in the first link in this thread:
http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/diablo-1-hd ... umentation

The Belzebub mod retains the original starting stats but completely got rid of maximums. There is no maximum stats for any stat for any character (except a barbarian's MAG, which cannot be raised). It is entirely possible to have a stat go above 1000 in this mod with gear.

I'd suggest you refer to the documentation for the overview of each class. Each one, including the original three, has new class abilities which will largely guide their individual play styles. There is also a lot of information on them in the forums here and we are always happy to answer questions.

The level cap was raised to 60 and at level 60 you can alter stats at will.

All possible quests automatically appear once per difficulty. You will get each stat-boosting quest each time.

Welcome to the forums!
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Hello Wendigo,

Thanks for the information. I was reading a lot of posts in the forums and some of the older links that users provided.

The Barbarian cannot develop any magic? Even with equipment? Town Portal no scrolls?

When a character is lvl 60 how many times can you change the stats? I saw a YouTube video when someone used a Rogue and put everything into the Dex. What is the point? You can replay each difficulty, but you won't find the same items that dropped will you? E.g.: The Butcher dropped his cleaver only once for each character and different ones each time.

Is there a point to avoid Horazon's Sanctum for the Golem spell after you buy the books (and another spell I cannot remember) until you pass Nightmare difficulty? Will the quest stay unfinished until you go back to each difficulty?

Thanks.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Barbarians cannot put level points into MAG, and when you get the stat-boosting quests they just get 5 points or so to distribute instead of the 3 across the board.. kind of unfair but Barb is a little on the overpowered side anyway. Gear will still increase their MAG stat like normal, though, so if you choose to have a Barb casting spells you can... although whether those slots are better used helping him just hit stuff better like he's supposed to is up to you.

The lvl 60 stat redistribution is at will. You take a point out of one slot and put it another, whenever you want. Be prepared for a much longer road than you might be expecting before you get to level 60, though. It takes much longer than most people anticipate.

The generalized advice is to put all of your level points into boosting your character's main attribute (STR for Warrior and Barb, DEX for Rogue and Assassin, MAG for Sorc and VIT for Necro) and then grind into gear into other stats as necessary; this allows you to store several different pieces of equipment and change out your whole battle plan of attack with a quick Town Portal, improving adaptability.
My personal advice is screw optimization and play what sounds fun to you.

STR will improve raw and crit damage, as you would suspect.
DEX will improve your crit% and accuracy, which will also increase DPS.

Quests only drop the same uniques on Normal difficulty; past Normal you'll get a non-unique but better version of the same type, as can be found here:
https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/quests
So for example the Butcher only gives you the Cleaver the first time you beat him, and once you're on Nightmare he'll give you a rare axe with (somewhat) randomized affixes. It's only guarantee will be that it is a hell of a lot better than the Butcher's Cleaver, though. It gets a bit confusing to explain since he's a boss so every time you kill him he'll give you something, but you only get that rare axe as completion for the quest when you finish the quest (in this case, by killing the Butcher). If you kill him again... say to collect his brain... the quest axe will not appear at his feet.

The other spell you're thinking of is Guardian, which you get from reading a book in the Chamber of Bone quest on dlvl 6. Those quests will remain on your quest lists (in their difficulty) until completed no matter what happens in the meantime.

The issue is that both Golem and Guardian require nearly impossible levels of MAG to get from reading books, and would require weeks of work to craft the correct items to make it possible. However the quests will give you +1 level in those spells for free and regardless of your level of MAG (even for Barbs), so you can get level 15/MAX in those spells by reading books for them until level 11, then doing the quest on all 4 difficulties to max them (the quests will not raise the spells above max). How important having max level in those spells is, is up to you. I would suggest you make sure to 'save' the quest for Sorc and Rogue, but honestly it doesn't make a ton of difference for the other classes. Here's a discussion on the issue:
http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/pointers-fo ... t2113.html

If you have any more questions this is what we're here for.
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the information.

One Rogue finished the Horazon's Sanctum and the Chamber Of Bone quests already. Horazon's Sanctum gave a book because the Creature of Flame Tome was killed after Cibinensis the Charlatan. It wasn't done in order since that seems to matter.

What is it about the brains being collected? I thought that only one can be with the Black Mushroom quest. I tried to get more, but they did not happen.

DPS is something I cannot find a definition for. What is it? Does each class have something such as equipment or stats that boost theirs or reduce it?

Crafting is something I only have one of the scrolls/recipes for. I read a little about it in the forums, but have questions. I am just collecting items and noticed some do not get converted to raw or fully formed elements or oils. I sell those items. Some cloth items did turn into something. The magical or rare items produce something. The useless items that no merchant will buy produce something like gems or oils. My questions are: Can a useless item be turned into something useful? Or will it always reduce health or harm the character? How many times can an item be crafted? Can I put one of each elements cube or all of the oils and make the best weapons/items/armor? Are raw gems or the formed cubes better? Which items can be crafted? Basic items or already powerful items? Can the set items be crafted and improved? Does crafting reduce or change the properties in a bad way or make it neutral? It's better to use E.G.: simple armor or rings instead?

Since some people play multiple MODs, is there a way to get a few installed and they are in the same folders without overwriting their files? I could not get The Hell MOD working because a directX .dll 3D file will not install.

I never finished Diablo 1 and if I have time maybe I will finish this MOD. I was looking for the music on social media and Blizzard's site, I think I saw a music player but cannot find it right now. Then I found this MOD. A good job was done.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

As I said, I personally don't think it's the end of the world if a character doesn't have maxed out spells.

The brains thing is just a side hobby of mine. You get to collect one demon's brain per character per difficulty during the Black Mushroom quest, so I make a point of trying to get the brains of some of the game's more notable boss demons.
Sadly, I have found out the hard way that Diablo has no brain.

DPS is 'damage per second,' shorthand for a character's raw damage potential. Your character has a DPS stat in their Character box [hotkey 'c', under the general tab]; it is the most useful stat to look at when comparing two weapons or other gear to see which will benefit the character the most when using a melee class or Rogue.

You cannot salvage normal (white) items. I'm not sure what you mean by items that no merchant will buy, however; each merchant only wants to buy items of their kind (the blacksmith buys gear, the healer buys potions, the witch buys books and staves, and Gheed the Gambler will buy any gear at a reduced price), but the only items I can think of that no merchant will buy are quest items.

As you progress, you will find more recipes. I believe there are about 80 but don't quote me on that. Only one character may read a recipe scroll and thereafter only they will know that recipe (although additional copies of the same recipe may be found a read). The only purpose of the various gems, oils, and random crap you get from salvaging is in the crafting menu to craft the item from the recipe. You will need a specific list of the crafting items, as well as the appropriate piece of gear (the list will turn green as it identifies you have it in the crafting 'cube'). When you craft the item it will overwrite any previous affixes the item had and replace them with a quasi-randomized set of affixes. I personally like saving up crafting materials for several 'spins' on the same piece of equipment at once.
For some reason that mystifies me, you cannot put crafting materials in the Shared Stash, so it is suggested you designate a character as your main 'crafter' and have them read all the recipes you find, and then leave bad gear in the Shared Stash for them to salvage.

There are specific recipes for upgrading Unique and Set items (and these recipes are rarer than the items themselves!), but it will only upgrade the base gear type ('rags' to 'tatters' for example). Definitely worthwhile but only in that one specific instance. DO NOT attempt to add affixes to uniques or set items with recipes other than those two specific ones, as it will overwrite the item completely.

Crafting is the most involved and complex addition to the Belzebub mod. It encourages experimentation and lots and lots of playing/grinding. It would be difficult to give a full explanation and guide, but is fairly intuitive so I suggest you simply experiment. As set of general rules:
- Most of the early-game recipes aren't any better than gear you're finding at that level anyway; some do fill a handy niche, however; for instance, Barb gear will always grant a STR bonus, so I use those a lot for my Sorc characters to help them equip the bigger belts they are otherwise too puny to lift.
- You can sell crafting materials to Griswold the Blacksmith. Overall you will get a much better price for selling the crafting materials than the items you've salvaged, so if you are concerned about money you should salvage all leftovers.

None of the mods to the OG D1 game are cross-compatible. I would not suggest attempting to blend them without some amount of experience in doing so, as it will almost certainly corrupt both games. If you choose to do so I would suggest you be very careful and try it in a contained experiment setting, such as a backup computer. When I attempted to put Belzebub and Freeablo together it ended dramatically enough I couldn't even get my computer to take a screen shot (it was hilarious though).

The Hell Mod is quite fun, although my first love will always be Beelz. It sounds like all you would have to do is delete your previous version of DX and download either it or one of the hundreds of third-party replacements, but this is not the correct venue to get into much detail there.

I would suggest you try YouTube or Facebook in your quest to find original game music inspired by Diablo. I might suggest Cu Duhb as a personal favorite much in the game's style (or Type O Negative if you're looking for dark and gothic rock, but that's more of a stretch).
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the info.

The uselsss items that no merchant will buy are the rings/items/weapons/armour that delpete something or give you bad stats. E.G.: Weapons that give no damage or deplete your health. The merchant(s) will take them, but you recieve no money. These items provide salvage materials.

I think in another post someone said there are 221 total recipes. http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/how-many-re ... %20scrolls

Only one character or one character per class can read the recipes? Are there double scrolls that drop?
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Oh, okay, I see what you mean now, cursed items.
An item will, roughly, produce more crafting materials depending on it's gold piece value. All magical, salvage-able gear will produce something but better gear will net better crafting materials.

Each character can only know the recipe for crafting once. Scrolls for recipes you already have will drop as normal.. in time, you will begin to find the repetition annoying. I only suggest you designate one character as your crafter to keep everything orderly and efficient. It's that thing where you can't trade crafting materials, you don't want to be grinding for more knick-knacks you have plenty of but just on the wrong character.
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks.