Lost my Rogue

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Garsh

Lost my Rogue

Post by Garsh »

Does anybody know if my Rogue can be recovered? She was over level 20 and had just gotten down to dungeon 13. It looks like the file still exists in Windows, but it isn't appearing on the character list.

My best guess is this has something to do with a power outage last night. I had been leaving the game running since this mod doesn't seem to have a save option. I'm aware it retains all the pertinent character data without manually saving, but I was taking advantage of leaving loot in the dungeons to return for later. :roll:

Edit: I just realized I should probably also ask if anyone has advice about what to do after the iso mount disappeared. The software gives me a success message when I try to mount it again, but no virtual drive actually appears. I can't even run the game without extracting the mpq into the game folder. :roll: :roll:
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Unfortunately, no, your rogue is gone. It's one of the more unfortunate problems with mods, the software it's all based off is still old as the hills so malwrites like this are pretty common even without the clear cause. Luckily she was still pretty fresh so it won't be too bad rebuilding her. In the future I suggest you make a backup save of your characters and stash by going into the data file, copying the player_save folder, and sticking that copy somewhere. Resquiat in Pace. :(

To help you with your mounting problem we'll need to know your OS. Personally I don't bother and just run the extracted files straight from the folder every time, though. Well, full disclosure my original disk lived in a barn for about a decade, so I don't have much choice, lol.

Welcome to the forums! ...although it is unfortunate that it occurred under such sad circumstances.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
Garsh

Post by Garsh »

Thanks for the input.

I think I worked out the mounting thing. At some point I apparently associated the iso file format with the "Power2Go" software and that's what was giving me a hard time. I changed the association to Windows, and that gave me an option to mount from a right click, and that worked.

It's too bad you can't choose just certain mod features. If I could play it without whatever replaced the game save (the stash?) this never would have come up.
bs.pro

Post by bs.pro »

Thanks to Wendigo I have just made a copy of my char files.
thanks bro
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

It's been a hotly debated topic, Garsh. Originally Belzebub was going to have multiplayer and the D1 style of saves made it too easy to dupe or otherwise game haxvantage.

@bs.pro
I'm glad to have made a difference, don't forget to update the backup every once in a while.
Garsh

Post by Garsh »

You're saying the only reason save functionality was removed was to prevent cheating in multiplayer, and now that doesn't even matter because multiplayer is no longer planned? That just makes me angry.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Well I assume there's more to it than that, but suffice to say you are not the only person who would prefer a return to the original style. Personally I prefer this style of being able to reroll and reset whenever we want, but I can understand your ire.

In my flesh-life, I am a classically trained artist, so I struggle with the idea of suggesting that a reversion to the original save type, or any number of minor improvements, wouldn't be that hard and some enterprising person could probably bang it out in a few weeks. In the end I am morally led to believe that this is the author's own work and we shouldn't fuck with it (aside from maybe fixing a few typographical errors), which is a pity because the thing is just so darn beautiful.
Garsh

Post by Garsh »

If i had any idea how, I would just add the resolution options to the vanilla game. It's really kinda strange to me that no one's done that.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Oh there have been plenty of those, but Blizzard sics the lawyers on 'em.

Edit- although if that's what you're after you can check out Freeablo. It's a backward-engineered open-source version of the OG. You'll still need the disc.
Garsh

Post by Garsh »

I very much appreciate the attempt at a recommendation, but Freeablo appears to have a long way to go before it's playable. Even then it's not really Diablo. I just want to play the real Diablo, with the display options like those in Belzebub.

I love a lot of the things Belzebub adds, too, especially the new quests. It's amazing to me how well done they are. The overhauled lighting is very impressive too, though I find it alters visibility, making it harder to see things than they were in the original game. That in particular seems like it would be down to a matter of taste in regard to whether it's a change for better or worse. The stash is my other favorite added feature, though I don't need anywhere near the vast storage it offers. Probably 10 percent or less would do.

The things I don't care for are the changes to skills, monster spawns, item generation and so on. It leans too much toward Diablo 2 for my liking. Even the inclusion of "Tetris" inventory for NPC trade gets in the way of the streamlined original Diablo menu style.

So again, it's really strange to me (and very frustrating!) that it's possible to make Diablo run flawlessly in such a wide range of display options, but there's no such thing without all the baggage of far reaching gameplay alterations.
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Hello Garsh,

Try this web-site and read about the other Diablo 1, 2 and other game MODS. There are even original games here and using released open-sourced stuff (such as DOOM). I am not playing, but doing searches for mostly music brought me to all of these things. https://www.moddb.com

I read about a MOD on that web-site that only fixes the bugs for Diablo 1 and it is the exact same. But I cannot find it now. There was also another one that use to be the original Diablo MOD that was very popular from about 1997 - 2006. The search on that site is not working out very well.

This might be the one:
Infernity - https://www.moddb.com/mods/diablo-infer ... reat-again

Also,
The Hell (Based off of Hellfire expansion. Pt.2 is in development) - https://www.moddb.com/mods/diablo-the-hell

I am unsure how to get multiple MODs in the same folder or get them to access the main folder. I do not think it is possible because some files overwrite each other. Belzebub and The Hell are the most popular.

Good luck.
Garsh

Post by Garsh »

Thanks very much, SyncroScales.

I've tried all of them other than The Hell 2, which just doesn't appeal to me like Belzebub. Nothing came of any of it, so i resorted to just playing vanilla Diablo stretched to 16:9. It's not perfect, but it's sadly still the most fun without spoiling what I love about the game.
SyncroScales

Post by SyncroScales »

Your welcome Garsh,

This is also available but I have not installed it. https://diablo.noktis.pl/awake/

It seems to be the newer project from Nokits or the team behind Diablo HD MOD, Belzebub and Tchernobog.

I am unsure if you or anyone needs to know that it should be possible to use a Virtual Machine of an older Windows version with Linux or a newer Windows version to install the older Diablo games without HD resoultions. Be careful with Linux and Wine as it is a security risk, it's a potential door that some people might leave unattended according to Linux security users.

I do not use Virtual Machines (paid or free), but have looked into them a little bit. There is a learning curve, but they have certain security benefits and should operate as the older OS. For example you might have some troubles with drivers or newer and certain hardware that think you have all of the older DirectX files but do not use them or will not install them, even with a virtual machine.

The Hell 2 is in beta and the designer said with each update be prepared to lose everything you have saved. Until version 1.x.

I cannot get the Diablo 1 or Hellfire expansion to recognize the ISO image, even on a CD-RW. That would be interesting.

https://www.moddb.com seems to have legitimate Blizzard patches. The 1.09 worked with Diablo 1.

Since you got it working do you have this old Diablo/Diablo Hellfire guide? https://archive.org/details/Diablo_Hell ... f/page/n49 It helps to plan out the quests and automatic skill increases to get your maximum stats. I think at level 60 in those original releases you are able to move the stats around too, I do not remember. It is technical but helps understand the game.