Necromancer worth?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
Verath

Necromancer worth?

Post by Verath »

i am really trying to like the necromancer as i love the thought of it but at lvl 17 now with 3 skeleton and they cant even take on a pack of enemies on lvl 5 without help from spells. i know i am supposed to supplement but going full vit will i ever have skeletons that can actually do something or will i always be a makeshift sorcerer and cast energy spells? i liked the idea of skeleton killing one or two enemy while i cast bone spirit which doesnt do much dmg then use corpse explosion and revive... i dont get the feeling that will be viable
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

You're supposed to go full MAG until like character level 15 or so and start putting points into VIT since then. It is made so that you could level with spells until you have all innate skills and your summons start doing damage.
Necro is probably the strongest character in Tchernobog.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Verath

Post by Verath »

end game are they pure vit or what? idk if i can respec any and not sure if points in magic stay viable or about how many to do. any suggestions?
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Yes in endgame you are mostly VIT oriented due to your summons scalling. Putting early poinst in magic just carries your character through early game where you summons are going to be shite either way (even if you put points into VIT).
There is no point respec function so you kinda have to live with what you have. Necro is strong enough even with dozen of levels spent of upgraidng off-stat (which is magic) early on.
Items which provide bonus to stats will make the transition very smooth.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
danielson

Post by danielson »

VIT only gives life to the necro zombie and skeleton summons btw. But neverthless,

Necromancer is fun! I had it for my first character back in 0.091 (My favourite character in D2 is Necromancer summoner, that's why) as well. Have nice plays!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

20 lvl necro here (solo)

its great character, very fun to play and demanding.

First I though it would be like D2, that minion do all the job.
When i first cast zombie, I was :( . "one pathetic standing in place cripple, that die in seconds by himself?! thats it?"

now i know its great. This one zombie was my aggro shield, that allow me to survive a lot!

first levels I even use melee combat, due to lack of mana for spells.

============
my only complain is how weak my necro is. Most often he can not survive one hit. (i have 72 vitality = 136 hp, 65 AC)
constant phasing, summoning skeletons&zombies - its fun like for arcade game, but rather not for hack&slash.

understand its balance like that for multi, with ressurect spell in mind, and warriors to protect the sorcerers, but anyway.

on the other hand, spells in general seems to me overpowered.
I too easly get 9th level in damaging spells:
spells like lighting, firewall done tons of damage in AoEffect, I even kill yellow bosses, stealing all fun from melee characters ( i believe).

in diablo 1 (in general) there is something wrong with endless drinking of mana potion, that make spell cost irrelevant.
and to fast increasing damage of spells with books, it need to be tone down.
i think cooldown (firewall) is not enough.

plus the staff
if you find good stick, that co-relate with your spell level, you are GOD like, effortlessly wiping out all enemies. Then town portal>Adria>recharge wands.

not sure why the mechanic of decreasing charges&durability with each recharge/repair was removed.
I like the circulation of equipment.
guess too many cries about his precious items getting wear off :lol: :o

=====
what i would like to see, is depleting mana, that force to participate in melee combat. BUT the enemy should not instant kill me with 1 or 2 hits.

=============
any way tchernobog is great.