Easy guide to run Belzebub on Linux

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Dknight

Easy guide to run Belzebub on Linux

Post by Dknight »

1. You need to install wine. Open terminal and run command

Ubuntu, Mint

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine
Fedora

sudo dnf install wine
2. Download Belzebub mod and unzip it where ever you want, for example /home/YourName/Diablo1mod/

3. Copy diabdat.mpq from your original Diablo 1 to directory where you unzipped Belzebub (eg. /home/YourName/Diablo1mod/)

4. If you run Belzebub.exe you probably will get error: "Creative Video Stream Sound Object,, OpenAL invalid ID." To fix it download soft_oal.dll from here https://www.azdll.net/files/soft-oal-dll.html. Place it to your Belzebub's directory as example (eg. /home/YourName/Diablo1mod/)

5. Run it! It should work.

BONUS.
Belzebub will run on any windows version, but I would recommend to set Windows XP. My practice show Win XP cause much less random crashes than any other Windows' version.

To do this use command:

winecfg
Tab: Applications -> Windows version -> Windows XP.

Have fun!
hldemi

Post by hldemi »

I approve of this. Especially for windows to run it in compatibility mode.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

UPDATE

Found one more thing, on some system there are still problems with sound in game. To fix it you need to download OpenAL soft from here https://www.openal.org/downloads/ select "OpenAL 1.1 Windows Installer (zip)"

Unzip it somewhere and install via WINE

wine oalinst.exe
Press OK and you are done.

Hope this also helps people, who has problems with sound on GNU/Linux.[/code]
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

UPDATE

Also found an issue on older Wine versions. If you still have no sound in game go to wine config with command

winecfg
Tab Libraries, from drop-down menu 'New override for library' choose openal32 and click add. Should be openal32 (native, builtin).