Game crashing A LOT - HELP

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
SkyrosX2

Game crashing A LOT - HELP

Post by SkyrosX2 »

My Rogue is clvl 52, I'm at dlvl 14 Torment, very close to beat the game in the last difficulty (which I have never done so far, ever!).

In the last 48 hours the game has crashed 6 times when I'm trying to progress to finish the game. It always happens either in dlvl 14 or 15. I noticed most of the crashes happened either when a mob boss died or when my Golem died.

I read all threads about crashing, but none had a very concrete solution, since this is just something that happens in the mod. But I'm finding really strange how often it is happening to me. I'm clearing the levels easily, but I simply can't progress due to the crashes.

Tomorrow, before giving a new go, I will copy diabdat.mpq to the folder, since this seems to have solved one of the threads about the crashes.
But if anyone has any other suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

(@hldemi, don't worry, I am using compatibility mode ;P)
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

I did copy diabdat.mpq into the folder, but it did not help. The game just crashed again at dlvl 16. I hadn't found the telepad yet, so I have to go from dlvl 14 again.........
It crashed at the moment a Succubu died, it was a regular one, I had killed hundreds of it. My Golem was alive. In other words: nothing special at all, it just crashed during regular events.
I tried to take a screenshot, but this is all you get from screenshots when the game is crashed (see image).

https://ibb.co/mnPZGx

I'm gonna try to do 3 runs in Hell difficulty, starting in dlvl 14 and going all the way down to killing Diablo. I did many Hell/Hell runs before with this char with no crashes at all. If I get crashes now, then something is wrong with either my char or the game installation. If I don't get crashes, then there's something wrong in Torment difficulty.
If I get no crashes, I will try from Torment dlvl 14 again and see what happens.
If I get crashes I will try reinstalling Diablo and re-downloading the mod.

If any experts/experienced players have any other clue or suggestions, please, help. This is about to completely kill the fun in the game for me.
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Try turning off compatibility mode.

Edit- Okay, I tried for the joke post and my nerd side rebelled too hard, so I'll give the real answer now. You should just do a full reinstall now, rather than waiting and hoping the game fixes itself (after backing up your character save data, of course). No real sense in risking the (very, very slim) chance that whatever weird-ass thing is going on corrupts your character data too. Even if the errors do miraculous stop, I'd be too paranoid it would come back and ruin my session. A good nuke & pave will teach the game I'm in no mood to put up with its shenanigans.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1
NegPulse

Post by NegPulse »

Sorry I cant help you out but I did experience a few random crashes in torment hell, to the point where I thought maybe the extra mobs was causing the game to crash or something, I am sure my PC can handle it.

I didnt do anything in particular to fix it. Just launch the game as admin, make sure I dont afk for long periods of time with the game running.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've done 3 runs in Hell difficulty from dlvl 14 all the way to killing Diablo. No crashes whatsoever.

I always keep back ups of my saves (always, after each run; I know it's a bit paranoid, but it only takes 3 seconds to copy and paste the file, so...).

So I do have a save file that I am positive it is not corrupted in Hell Difficulty at least. IF, by any chance, this file is corrupt in Torment difficulty, then all hope is lost, 'cause I don't have older backups from before all these crashes that I could rely on.
So I'm gonna try one last time to do Torment dlvl 14 and finish up the game. When I do this, I'll have all other programs closed and the computer just turned on. (I know it's ridiculous, since I'm running this old game on a desktop with i7 processor and 16GB ram when a Pentium 333Hz and 128MB ram should be enough, but I'm starting to get desperate.)
It either works, or I'll do the reinstall and use the backup/oldest save file I have to minimize the chances of using a corrupted save file. (The oldest file I have is from when it had crashed about 4 times; it's been 8 crashes so far.)

If nothing of these work, my last resort will be trying to play in an old laptop. But I really would like to avoid this, my PC is too good, big screen, etc, the laptop is so bad, with an awful keyboard and doesn't even reach HD, so my sight in the game is a bit reduced, which even makes playability harder, specially for ranged chars like my Rogue...
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Ok, guys, good news! I re-downloaded and re-copied the diabdat.mpq from the cd image, all into a new folder (in the same drive), and I was able to finish up the game! Killed Diablo in Torment for the first time ever! Yey!!! ;D
Also, I used the most recent save file, so there were no set backs in terms of clvl and telepad.

Maybe I was just lucky and the game happened to not crash for once; but at least I was able to finish the game.
In the weekend I'll try some d16lvl Torment runs. I hope it work fine, but if I start getting frequent crashes again, I'll comment here.

(Diablo dropped a +3 Apocalypse, 40% Spell Power, -30% fire resist; which is now the best Fire staff I've got for my Sorc, even though I'm still hoping for better stuff).
NegPulse

Post by NegPulse »

Good to hear it worked out (hopefully). Lucky drop for you, I have never gotten anything decent off him.
SkyrosX2

Post by SkyrosX2 »

Yeah, I'e done some runs, and it's working fine!!! =)

Btw... I changed some stuff in my Rogue and also found a much better Heartseeker than mine was... and she's a freaking beast. I'm rarely dying, and cleaning really, really fast. Once I go down to Diablo's dungeon, I use the Elixirs and I get him killed before the Elixirs are over. lol
And it's been just a few days since I first beat him, and the first time was very hard! Now my DPS is 5900, and the only attack from Diablo that can kill me is the lighting, but usually he dies before even using it once. lol
That's in MP0. Now I'm gonna start trying MP1 and on, and see how it goes.
Once I get tired of my Rogue, I'll start my Necromancer! =D