German Translation

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Opie

German Translation

Post by Opie »

Hello people,
i just found out about the Belzebub Mod for Diablo 1 and it's awesome. I saw there are turkish, polish, czech and other language packages for it, but unfortunately no german.

I would really like to translate the game to german, if anybody could give me a small instruction on how to do that, i would be more than happy. I have experience with translating apps and some games so i'm not completely new on this territory.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Out of curiosity and slightly off topic, may I ask how common is for german people to speak english?
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Opie

Post by Opie »

Most of the younger people speak english very well since we learn it in school. But older generations or people from the former DDR usually have problems with it.

I just did some research and found out, the ps1 version of the game had a german translation and someone also made it work for the pc version. It seems that they also translated the item names, UI and other things. I'm not sure if this works with the Belzebub mod tho. I'll investigate.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Cool to know that, thanks! I wish more people in my country were like that, but unfortunately, Russia is 3rd world so if you aren't living in one of 5 or so biggest cities you're screwed on education. "Lucky" me.

Regarding transation, you'll probably need to translate few things anyway since they obviously weren't included in ps1 version. The mod reintroduces content which didn't take place in final game release and I don't think that content was translated.

Was the PC version ever translated though?
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
Opie

Post by Opie »

I did some research now and tested some things. Diablo 1 on PC was never officially translated to german. A fan (his nickname is Iljitsch) made a translation for it, based on the translation from the ps1 version.

The NPC texts, items, the main menu and enemies are translated. All the picture-based menus are still in english.
He even started to import the german sound files from the ps1 version, but unfortunately never finished it, but there are still some in the game now.

There's one thing that bothers me tho. The ps1 euro version came with english, german, french and swedish language, but to save time/space/money they translated all the enemy names to latin instead of all the 4 languages. Skelletons for example are called "Corpus Ascia". I would really like to change that :D

So if anybody of the devs here could give me instructions on how to make this work with Belzebub (+tell me what else needs to be translated), i would be thankful.

Here are some screenshots i made of the game: