Seriously?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
xi_cyrus_ix

Seriously?

Post by xi_cyrus_ix »

Overall, the mod is great, but was the intent for the game to actually be winnable?

Once you get to the area before Diablo and have to fight that Doomlord guy, it's absolutely impossible for a Barbarian unless you were to have gear that can't possibly drop on Normal difficulty. He spawns a dozen minions in less than a minute and you're out of potions and dead before hes 1/4 of the way drained.

My Barbarian is level 28, has over 550 life, a fast weapon, a shield, maximum all resists and doesn't stand even 1/10th of a chance in NORMAL difficulty.

Was the purpose of the mod to actually be beatable for melee class, or is the intent to sway people into playing other classes? Totally serious question, because it's appearing as if it's designed to handicap melee players at every turn and if that's really the case, then I don't want to waste anymore time on the barbarian and will just move onto another class.

Thanks!
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

It isn't meant to be easy. There are tactics.

Many of us here have all conquered all levels and difficulties of this mod.

Keep trying, keep leveling up, keep grinding for loot and crafting supplies.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

You don't need any insane gear to beat normal difficulty, it is totally beatable even as first character for melee classes. I've done it using Celestial Star weapon and wearing magic body armour. It also was a warrior which is a bit worse than barb.
Make sure you have a shield with good block chance and body armour with a lot of AC, and you're good to go. Having "Cannot be frozen" property would help you on Diablo himself. That's basically what is required to comfortably defeat Terror Domain in normal.
Diablo HD is the best mod ever. Still waiting for Tchernobug fixes...
tanis83

Post by tanis83 »

Don't worry, it will be worse. :twisted: Just wait until you face "lightning enchanted" bosses on later difficulties. They can be super annoying. Haha.

But seriously, this game has a very important aspect: farming. You don't / can't typically max out a character by itself, it's like a teamplay. If you're stuck with a character, just switch to another one and you might get further, plus you might find items of value that you can put in the shared stash for another char.

Initially, the sorcerer is a very good candidate for farming. He is extremely overpowered till the Hell difficulty.
xi_cyrus_ix

Post by xi_cyrus_ix »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've been doing Lazarus runs on Normal for the time being and trying to find some of the best gear I can. I haven't turned up much yet, but hopefully things will start dropping.

What do you consider a high defense armor? And how would I go about getting "cannot be frozen" in the simplest way possible? I have yet to see it drop/spawn on any items.

Thanks!
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

>100% increased Armour Class on a best possible base (in your case, that would be Full Plate Armour I think) will do. It literally doesn't matter what other mods the item has (unless it's minus attributes XD).

For unique items and set item combinations which give "Cannot be frozen" property, look at http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/ respective pages. Personally, I got Death's Shroud drop from I don't even remember where. I think 2 pieces of Death's Disguise set (belt and ring) would be the best choice (these slots are least important/impactful at the moment) for Normal and start of Nightmare, but it is harder to get since you need to find 2 items instead of just 1 unique.

By the way, having a set of items with magic find property good if you can safely farm certain zone. Lost Treasure's chests in last room is the most popular place. If you're doing Lazarus runs, you don't need armour there, only fire magic and light resistances so you can play around that.

Welcome, for me it's always a pleasure to give an advice to someone if he is enjoying the game.
xi_cyrus_ix

Post by xi_cyrus_ix »

Thank you!

I actually had an additional question about that. I have the Barbarian's Armor recipe and when I tried to use it on a Full Plate Mail, it wouldn't let me. Is there a special recipe for a high end armor like that?

As far as the sets, I just dont seem to be having much luck getting good set drops. I will keep trying. I never minded grinding and enjoyed magic finding in Diablo 2 (before they totally nerfed drop rates from botting, effectively making it impossible to magic find manually) so I am enjoying the re-runs in hopes of better drops.

I enjoy the mod very much - its extensively well done, but I feel like it may just be slightly more difficult than it should be before you reach Hell difficulty. I would have figured that Normal would have been comparable to D1 Vanilla in which grinding would be minimal. Nightmare would be slightly harder where grinding would start becoming necessary and Hell/Torment would be impossible to win without perfecting gear. That progression model would have made the most sense - Hell and Torment should be ridiculously hard, or there is no feeling of accomplishment once the endgame is completed, but especially in Normal, it should be "easy".

Overall - this is the only fault in the mod. Otherwise it's amazing. I just think the difficulty scale should have a little more forgiving in the the lowest difficulties.

My barb is level 30, has about 560 health, max resists to all categories and can't yet even reach Diablo, let alone defeat him on Normal difficulty. That just doesn't seem right?
tanis83

Post by tanis83 »

As a general rule of thumb, don't expect anything fancy to drop in Normal & Nightmare. It's sometimes a real pain in the @ss to complete a set, even in tier 1. But eventually, (starting from Hell difficulty) it becomes much easier. But then again, if you can't beat those guys in Terror Domain, just start off with a sorcerer and keep farming in Hell difficulty.
xi_cyrus_ix

Post by xi_cyrus_ix »

Got him...

I think I overpowered myself with all the grinding this time for Normal (250 defense, 570 life, 110 max damage)

Thanks for all the tips. On to nightmare.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

I did some grinding and leveling up with Ugily the Necro when I first started up, and Necro is still my main highest level character. But, not that much.

Torment is where the fun really begins. But, you must be well equipped to go there.

A good goal is to get to Torment as quickly as you can. Once there, everything is a grind.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

I actually had an additional question about that. I have the Barbarian's Armor recipe and when I tried to use it on a Full Plate Mail, it wouldn't let me. Is there a special recipe for a high end armor like that?
Ehm, not quite. There are recipes for diffirent armour types (Leather/Mail/Plate), but they also are bound for respective recipe kinds - you can't craft, for example, a plate armour with recipe that intended to give bonuses to mage class.

By the way, if you're having issues killing stuff, it might be that your offence is shite. Not only you need highest DPS number with (mostly) physical weapon, you also should have as much accuracy rating as you can get because you'll have hard times actually hitting things even with the strongest weapon.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Macias,

In Belzebub, you can craft Necro, Spellweaver, and Mage armors of any type, including plate.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

but can't craft assassin armour WTF game?!

ok I stand corrected by Ugily, sorry for little misinformation