mod without quests

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
the bunker

mod without quests

Post by the bunker »

I know this is a long shot, but is there anyway to play this mod without the new quests? I love all the new features of this mod but feel the quests break the continuity of the franchise too much and personally for me make playing it not enjoyable.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

try Tchernobog, quests there are not working atm
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Geeze. Then just don't do the quests.
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

Yea I could try Tchemobog, when you say the quests are not working there do you mean the newly added quests or all the quests from the commercial release of the game as well? Failing this is there ANYWAY to dig into the code of the mod and to just take the quests out?
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

all the quests from the commercial release
IIRC game didn't have any quests enabled in multiplayer in its original state, so yes, ALL quests are disabled. You will be able to meet some of the quest bosses and locations, but will not get any rewards for them like in original game.
I don't quite understand your issue though. The game is being balanced (if at all) around having quests and rewards for them. For example, without them you won't be able to level some of your spells up to 15 (as it is now in Tchernobog).
I don't know if it is possible to "take quests out" as you said, because anyone haven't much reason to do so until now.
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

Oh ok, I didn't know about maxing spell levels. Don't spell levels Max out by reading books? Or is it that now you don't get enough magic to max out some spell levels? I know this might make the game unbalanced but I really would like to take some of the quests out completely because they overlap with so much content with D2 and even some other D1 quests that to me it just breaks immersion. For example the entire D2 ACT I revolves around killing Andariel and now she is killed in D1 in Tristram without any explanation as to how she comes back in D2. The Summoner from Horazon's Sanctuary is actually supposed to be the Sorcerer from D1 AFTER he kills Diablo and appears in D2 for the new heroes to kill, now he is in D1 as well without any explanation. Izual is also killed in D2, now he is also killed in D1 and so on... Maybe I'm weird but I love the convenience enhancements but can't stand how this mod messes with the story. I guess for for me the game is more than just a collection of random events and levels that just serve as excuses for finding gear and getting stronger characters and as much about the story, atmosphere and lore. Surely there must be others who feel the same. I know some people will just say then don't play the MOD but as I said I actually really like some features of the mod and want to enjoy them. I would happily pay for someone to mod this or teach me how to mod it so that I can take the additional quests out.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Belzebub is complete at beta version 1.045
Tchernobog is currently in a very slow alpha 0.1.1

The end goal is Diablo I HD Mod which is a merger of the two test betas if Brightlord decides to continue developing the mod.

You could make a feature request at the Tch forum.

Command line switches to disable quests in character profile.
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I might do that, but I don't know much about modding do you think something like that would even be possible? You reckon it would be easy enough to turn this stuff off myself somehow? Are there any things like those monster editors etc that let you do this sort of thing?
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

Also just had a look at that forum, where exactly would I make a feature request?
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

I know this mod is considered finished, but I would really appreciate it if someone could just instruct me how to disable at least the following quests:

- Horazon's Sanctum
- Andariel
- Fleshdoom (and get rid of that annoying NPC associated with the quest)
- Izual

This would make this mod PERFECT for me!
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Easy.

- Do not read the books and enter Horazon's Sanctum.
- Do not go into the passage to the outskirts of town and see out the strange lights.
- Go not pick up the sword and do not go into the river of fire to find the Hellforge
- Do not case a portal at the secret entrance to Izual's lair.

Just bypass the offending quests. You do not have to complete all of the quests in order to battle Diablo.

But, you are missing out...

These quests and several more mini-quests were originally intended to be in Diablo 1. Timing and programmer debugging crunch to get the product out to market is what removed or delayed these quests and characters until Diablo 2, not story line.

Diablo 1 HD Mod is the way the story was intended to follow.
the bunker

Post by the bunker »

Thanks for the unhelpful comment... Like I didn't think of that, still I would like to play the game without these quests because regardless of what Blizzard intended in 1996 there IS a second game and it DOES have these elements in the story so it makes no sense to kill the same monster twice in two different games (at least not without some sorta explanation). Anyhow if someone knows how I can modify my files so as to get rid of the above quests please let me know.
Miacis

Post by Miacis »

Excuse me? There IS an explanation. I don't know what exactly was the reason to not implement these quests into the original game, but they have all lore pieces that are associated with them. For every quest you can talk to every townsman and get your explanation.
What you are talking is nonsense.
Sneeper

Post by Sneeper »

I think he means there is no explanation in the second game for killing them twice, they should already be dead.

I love the new quests in Diablo HD though but for him they are immersion breaking because in the second game those characters are alive again without an explanation how they were ressurected.

Me i could care less, i always found that D1 did not have enough quests.
Raz0r

Post by Raz0r »

what the hell? It's the reason why i play this mod because of the new quests which refresh my gaming experience since i played vanila diablo and TH for years. And Ugly is right if u don't want to play the quests just renounce them by skipping. BTW i play alot tchernobug on tunngle and there aren't quests added so you could play this but some quests are there but doesn't work well. I mean there are really cool new quests such as Horazon's Sanctum which is amazing just give it a try man.
< Experienced Tchernobog player >