Single Player Mode

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
almagnus1

Single Player Mode

Post by almagnus1 »

Technically speaking, why can't Belzebub have a single player mode exactly like the Diablo 1 Single Player mode?

Giving Diablo 1 the Diablo 2+ Single Player mode is an uninstall-worthy decision that completely renders all the work put into the modpack moot to me, as that decision kills what I liked best about Diablo 1 compared to later installments.

And before anyone suggests it, it's not because I'm going to noob it up with trainers or otherwise cheese out the game, it's because I don't want to be forced into multiplayer mode when all I want is to just solo the game.
BigPappas

Post by BigPappas »

I'm not sure what you mean. The game is single player. It's not quite like original D1 as the map gets reset every time you log out but you won't have people dropping into the game. Instead of clearing the exact same dungeon until you start a "New Game" each time you log in the maps are rerandomized. It's not as big of a hassle as it seems as the modders have added waypoints every 2 levels so there are shortcuts to a total of 11 of the 17 total levels.
Yup, that's a cow alright.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

We like to farm, to grind, even to reroll map in case monster type spawns are to difficult. It's a good decision to have this style, there was nothing good about save/load feature, just cheese. You have waypoints for all even nr dungeon levels and can use Warp spell to get to stairways up/down and all of the odd dungeon levels have the old entrances too, so you don't have to replay levels if you don't want to.
almagnus1

Post by almagnus1 »

@BigPappas:
That's what I dislike about the later Diablos, as you can't just put the game on pause for a bit and go take care of something in RL. You have to allocate time to clear out the level.

What I really disliked about the waypoint system in D2 and D3 is that often you end up clearing the next level anyways hunting for the damned thing, even though all you really wanted to do was step into the level, hit save, and go take care of something else in RL.

@DacianDraco:
Not all of us want to zerg through everything, nor do we want to do lameass things like cheese it as you're describing. Having the game world not reset every time you load in drastically changes how you approach the game.

Having the original single player functionality is what I liked best about D1, seeing that gone is a deal breaker for Belzebub, despite everything else it brings which is generally a very well done refresh on a classic game.

If I want to go play D2 or D3, I'll load them and go play them again. I don't want an exact D2 or D3 experience when I want to play D1 - which was (IMO) the best of the series.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

The work around for saving the game in Belzebub is to never exit the game. Just hit pause, minimize the window, and go about your RL business. Just don't turn off your computer. Set it to go into sleep mode or whatever.

Keep in mind, that Diablo 1 HD Mod (Belzebub + Tchernobog) parts are beta + alpha. Some bugs, features, and future ideas have not been implemented and likely may never be. Tch has been on semi-permanent hold but there may be a few bug fixes in the future. There has been some bugs in full implementation of multi-player that causes conflicts with the more refined playability of Belz. That is much more important than Game State Save feature. Much more important to get smooth MP, stability bug fixes, quests, and character balance done first.

There has been a large number of great features, expanded content, unfinished quests, and even Hellfire content requested. But don't hold your breath, this mod isn't heading down that road yet, if ever.

Thank Brightlord for all the work he has done pretty much single handed.
bs.pro

Post by bs.pro »

I completely dont know whats his problem.
FOr me, this MOD is awesome.
I am 37 years old.
Was 17 when D1 was released.
I spent months playing diablo then.
Now I am older and dont have so much free time, but when I find a few minutes I stick to Diablo HD.
I love new quests, new spells, new monsters etc.
And when I play and suddenly have to do something then I slap ESC key and go away, leaving my computer turned on.
The only thing that makes me frustrated is that having almost 30th level ox experience I still have seen NO teleport/mana shield book. I dont want to start a competely new game. I've spent a lot of time so far.
almagnus1

Post by almagnus1 »

@Ugily:
That works... until Windows Update forces you to restart.

Better question is why this mod decided to screw with the Diablo 1 save code to begin with...
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

The only thing that makes me frustrated is that having almost 30th level ox experience I still have seen NO teleport/mana shield book
teleport books can be found, they are just rare in normal.
Regarding the mana shield - in another post you asked about it, and Noktis gave you the link:

http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?characters

Maybe it would be useful for you to read it, at least the part with the sorcerer skills.... ;)
uRa!
bs.pro

Post by bs.pro »

God exists!!!
I found a book of golem and a book of ........ NOVA!!!
bs.pro

Post by bs.pro »

EDIT:
today i have found 2 books of teleport !!!
What an irony !!!!
TheLurker

Post by TheLurker »

That works... until Windows Update forces you to restart.

Better question is why this mod decided to screw with the Diablo 1 save code to begin with...
So you set Windows update to require permission to restart, problem solved.

Also, they didn't "screw" with the save code, they improved it.

I never played the original D1 on single player, only online, but if it is as you describe it then I'm glad I never did. Getting a single roll of the dungeon on each difficulty level would be terrible for finding gear, spell books, leveling up etc.

I haven't been around these forums for very long but I've read pretty deep through the posts and while you're not the first to ask about this feature, you're certainly the first I know of to complain about it. In other words, this "problem" is more of your preference.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

I never played the original D1 on single player, only online, but if it is as you describe it then I'm glad I never did. Getting a single roll of the dungeon on each difficulty level would be terrible for finding gear, spell books, leveling up etc.
This mean that you never really played Diablo.
TheLurker

Post by TheLurker »

This mean that you never really played Diablo.
I don't really understand your logic here, but if you say so :roll:
almagnus1

Post by almagnus1 »

For starters, most of the quests were disabled in multiplayer mode.

IIRC, from the ones listed at [ http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Quests_(Diablo_I) ] , only Butcher, Leoric, Lazarus, and Diablo were active in the multiplayer mode. Due to the random quests, it actually increased replayability as you never really knew how the game would go. I'm not sure if having all the quests available would improve the game or not, as D2 was a huge downgrade over the original IMO, despite having better graphics, movement, and more content. It just felt too much the same and Act 3's jungle just killed pacing.

Speaking of pacing, single player had a vastly different feel than multiplayer because entire challenge was to survive to the next level on your own wits, using your own tactics, making the best of what you gear had acquired to that point. You couldn't zerg through stuff with your friend because blindly running ahead on on-level content would be almost always suicidal.

Essentially, it was a rogue-like in the truest sense, and IMO, D1 SP is still the best experience out of the entire series.
RyuuzakiL5

Post by RyuuzakiL5 »

I agree with almagnus1.

It's pissing me off, everytime a f* OP boss kills me, I have to walk ALL OVER the map until face him and get killed in 5 seconds. I'm using the mage and everytime have to try all of my spells until I figure out what works against one boss, but I keep loosing mana and restarting at town every f* time. I hate when I have to wast 30 minutes walking from town to one stupid boss or a bunch of monsters that got me unprepared.

If people don't want to use load and save feature because will "cheese" the game, well gess what, DON'T USE IT! I want the load feature, I want to clean the map one time like the vanilla game if you don't like this way, just exit without save and click New Game.

Don't take me wrong, I love this mod, is the best mod for this game, we have ALL the quests in the same gameplay, new enemies, new features, new quests and spell, etc, but come on, I don't want to clean the map everytime I restart my game.

"Oh, but you have warpads"

Yeah! Clean all the level 14 to find the warped, go to level 15 because you're hooked on the game, clean all the level, do all the quests and oh-uh, no warp, and you're late to go work, what I'm going to do? Exit the game and next time I "load", I will have to clean all Level 14 again or at least until I find the damn stair, and than AGAIN clean all Level 15 to find the stairs Level 16!!!

Sorry being ironically, I don't want to offend anyone nor the developers, but, it's not that difficult to get almagnus1 point, just don't understand who don't want it.

The only problem with this mod is not having the SP features: No Save State/Load State feature and the map reseting problem.

If we had those two vanilla features for people who don't want to WASTE TIME (you can call that cheese, I don't care, I play the game to have FUN not for torturing myself because of Moral Gaming Rules that people like to invent), the mod would be even more awesome, and people who like the way it is, just wouldn't need to save the game, instead, they could use New Game everytime.