How to deal with Immunities?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Miothan

How to deal with Immunities?

Post by Miothan »

Hello, i just started on Hell Difficulty, with my lvl 37 Sorcerer yesterday, and i could not kill Leoric since he was immune to everything, even when i used Elemental Drain (-37% all resists) and i also have -10% fire and cold on my staff that i currently wear which totals -47% fire and cold resistance, but i still did almost 0 damage to him and easily run out of mana potions before i can even take 1/4 of hes life.

I realized that it would be pointless to waste time trying to kill him since time vs. Reward clearly tells me i should move on.....

Now, i was wondering how the hell you kill shit in Torment where everything has even more resistances? the best resistance penetration item i have seen is from the "Uniques" section, the "Spire of Aranoch" Staff with up to -44% Fire resistance, but everything else is in the vicinity of -10-20 resistance penetration only, so....whats up? how do Sorcerers deal with immunities in Hell and Torment difficulties? and also, how am i supposed to progress in Hell? resistances are just wrecking me and it's not the fun kind either as it doesn't seem possible to kill certain monsters.

P.S: Went straight to level 13 after Leoric fail so i could farm Lost Treasure(244% Magic Find), but after 4 hours of doing that i have not gotten a single piece better than i already have, is Hell difficulty Lost Treasure not all that great for farming gear and i should just kill stuff?
TheLurker

Post by TheLurker »

I've got a lvl 41 sorc that's at Hell dlvl10 so right around the same spot as you. I've also noticed resistances are becoming a pain and not sure how I'll manage Torment, unless I get a major upgrade in gear.

For King Leoric, I stayed as far outside of his chamber as I could and kept putting up guardians. It took awhile and I wasn't even sure it was damaging him but he eventually fell without ever seeing me.

One thing to keep in mind is that everything scales along with the difficulty levels. For example, your Golem can take about as much punishment from Torment enemies as he can in Hell despite the Torment enemies hitting harder and having more life.

I can't really answer your question about MF runs in Hell since I havent found any decent MF gear to do any runs myself.

My question to you is, did you kill the Risen Hero? He is my current unbeatable in Hell.
Miothan

Post by Miothan »

No i never did manage to kill the Risen Hero due to hes healing ability, i almost killed him but then he healed himself X_x got him to about 5% HP but that's it, gave up after several tries where he just started to heal himself :P

And i never actually progressed through the stages, i only did lvl 1-4, after that i just started to skip lvls and teleport to level 14 for the way point and so i could start farming Lost treasure, i can easily kill the regular mobs, but any special mob usually takes a long time to kill now, and some are unkillable for me due to tons of resists.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Leoric is undead and can be killed with Holy Bolt. Same as Valor Hero, keep Golem alive to distract him and fire away with Holy Bolt.
TheLurker

Post by TheLurker »

Leoric is undead and can be killed with Holy Bolt. Same as Valor Hero, keep Golem alive to distract him and fire away with Holy Bolt.
I tried Holy Bolt vs Risen Hero and it passed right through him. Maybe I got a shitty roll, I'll try it again.
Miothan

Post by Miothan »

Leoric was immune to Holy Bolt in my game, it passed right through him, i tried all spells and no spell did a lick of damage to him even with Elemental Drain active.

I remember that he had Mastery and Behemoth, not sure what the other affixes he had was.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

There is no immunity to holy dmg, which Holy Bold does only to undead monsters, so this is BS. And Leoric is a cake, you beat him in the same way on any difficulty, it just takes longer in later difficulties cause he has bigger health pool, his resistances are 75% on all elements in Normal and increase by 25% per each difficulty, so 125% in Hell, come on, with Elemental Drain you can break them all, so just hit him with your most powerful spell, if not Magic Immune (which adds another 100% to Magic Resistance) i'd go for Bone Spirit 1st and finish with whatever. And don't use Golem cause he leaches life off him.

And Risen Here is also undead, so Holy Bolt will dmg him as well, his resistances are also 75% on all elements in Normal and increase by 25% per each difficulty, so again 125% in Hell than can be easily broken with Elemental Drain. Same strategy, also no Golem.
Miothan

Post by Miothan »

Whatever dude, my Holy Bolts went right through him, didn't do anything so i call BS on your comment that Holy Bolt always does damage to undead targets, and i used every spell (Fire, Ice, Lightning, Holy and Magic) to try and kill him when i used Elemental Drain for a total of -50% fire and Magic resistance and -40% to ice and Lightning, nothing managed to do enough damage to make it possible for me to kill him without running out of mana potions.

Have seen the same thing happen to other mobs where Guardians fire bolts goes right through mobs doing nothing.

Played most of today and got to lvl 42 with my Sorc, killed Hell Diablo which took forever....

But i realized that i don't like to play a game of immunity jeopardy so im most likely not going to play any more, it's just not fun with immunities when most items are so god damn awful when it comes to resistance penetration, too few of them, and staffs rarely rolls what you need, i could put in a lot more time and get the staffs i need with -20% resists but even then it's boring because i will still have to rely on a 2min cd skill, that is the dealbreaker for me.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Feel free to prove what you are saying, i call it BS because i know it is BS, why would i lie about how to beat him, and i'm not the only one to say Holy Bolt works as it should, so either everyone else (me including) is crazy or you are wrong. Also Diablo has +25% more Magic Resist and a bit over 78k more life, this is almost 30 times more life then the Skeleton King, so he's easier then Diablo, not as fast, weaker AI, not immune to holy dmg, can he stunlocked and doesn't have spells besides his summon skeletons, thou Diablo summons Necromancers (which themselves summon some skeletons) and Balrogs as well. If you beat Diablo with whatever spell and -% resistance you can't say Skeleton King is not easier.

PS: Out of all weapon types staves have the lesser affix pool, so by far the easiest to roll/craft what you need, plus staff type doesn't matter, it's not like you need to rely on the attack speed of a certain bow or axe or other weapon on top of the affixes you desire.
macchionii

Post by macchionii »

Well, immunities are there to stop the power creep of sorcerer a little bit, when a class can use chain lightning / apocalypse and hit all the screen i can see why "immunity" is a thing.

I have a lvl 38 sorc and a 34 Rogue, sorc has the benefit of having huge Effective HP with Insane AoE clearspeed, while my rogue has decent AoE, huge single target and is not so tanky. Sorc also has atleast a lvl 20 golem at character lvl 35-40 and if you manage to get him to 30+ you're pretty much done , 30+ golem can easily tank Hell Diablo in $P10.

I'm enjoying both so far, i use sorc to farm areas with not much Lightning Immunity monsters and could gear up my Rogue this way.

I know immunity is annyoing sometimes, but without it Sorc would be wayyyyy too much OP, the clear speed of sorc is already far superior of all the classes.

I may be wrong here, but FOR ME, if you are fast enough you can clear an entire area / reset game, clear area on $player 10, and it will be more profitable than trying to farm bosses and dying, or you can plan out some strats, youtube has some good videos of sorcs clearing Terror's Domain on Torment.

@TIP Try to slowdown time, use insanity, elemental drain, and burst the boss with lightning spell, it's pretty OP, i burn bosses on Hell pretty easy, i had no problems so far with bosses, the only problem i've encountered was some Unique enemies around the early dungeon levels, some of them seens to be impossible to break immunity, but usually i just skip them.

Always summon up your golem when he dies on fights and try to use bone spirit more often, it totally rekt Diablo on hell for example.
Last edited by macchionii on 22 Nov, 2016 3:07, edited 4 times in total.
XylonDarkstar

Post by XylonDarkstar »

Smoked Skelly King easy on Hell at lvl 36 using Golem + Chain lightning. Have full Naj's set + jewelry that gives me +5 to spell levels, and have +26% spellpower in total. Have -10% lightning pen, -6% fire pen. All stats in max magic, tore through skelly king w/ ele drain and CL alone while golem tanked. I believe both spells were lvl 10 from spell books, so were at 15.
macchionii

Post by macchionii »

Yeah, i have lvl 18 chain lightning with 282 magic, -39 elemental drain, 14 insanity, NO lightning penetration and had no problems.

Using harridan's set and the rest are just rares with res,stats and hit recovery.
XylonDarkstar

Post by XylonDarkstar »

Yeah, can't do Risen hero though. Not enough pen, he heals alot, kills golem too fast, and holy bolt doesn't do enough damage at spell lvl 20.
macchionii

Post by macchionii »

Hmm, i've killed him without a problem, i'll try to kill him again and update this comment on how i managed to kill him.

@Edit

Okay, managed to kill him, the strat was the following:

Lure him away from his room, spam guardians in the center of the room and lure him to it, teleport far away, he will stand still taking damage from the guardians and not move, repeat until he dies, don't die or he'll regenerate all his HP.

Image example : http://imgur.com/a/Cjnv9

In case someone is curious, this is my gear: http://imgur.com/a/Vo5mM

I didn't noticed that my gear gave me +8 guardian, maybe it's not a possibility for some ppl to use this strat =(

Note: My guardians are lvl 18 and i have no fire pen, and yeah, i messed up my first char, i've spent points into str / vit and realised later that i don't even need them, could've spent 50-100 more points into magic =(.
Sneeper

Post by Sneeper »

What does insanity do for a sorc?

What exactly does the spell do? The description is vague :?