Gem types (topaz, amethyst, etc.) : is there a pattern ?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
rbourgeon

Gem types (topaz, amethyst, etc.) : is there a pattern ?

Post by rbourgeon »

Hi guys,

I'm salvaging a couple items and I noticed that I obtain Emeralds and Amethysts way less often than Diamonds, Rubys, Sapphires and Topazes.

Do you know if there are defined rules of what type of gem one can obtain by salvaging a magic item, depending on its magic properties ?

e.g. a rule that sounds like "if an armor increases dexterity, it will yield emeralds, it an armor increases the number of HP, it will yield rubys..."

Thanks for your replies because I'm really struggling to get emeralds and amethysts.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

The type is random, but quality (flawed,regular, etc) and quantity is determined by the item's qlvl. And even if it wasn't random it doesn't really matter if there was a rule, you already picked up the item so might as well salvage it regardless of what you get, there is no point in selling it for gold since gold is so abundant and there is no benefit in just dropping it on the ground after you look at it and it wasn't something like your example. And gems are not as important as the 3 golden looking materials anyway, those are the rarest and you burn through them quicker then anything else. Also i can say that without crafting anything on my last 6 characters the quantity values of all gems are close to each other, difference is like ~50 for 800 gems between the 6 characters. So just salvage everything you don't need.
rbourgeon

Post by rbourgeon »

Ιndeed, after salvaging a couple more items I noticed that the different quantities of gems tend to be more balanced.

What are the 3 golden looking materials ? Arcane Token, Symbol of Power, and.... what is the third ? Are you talking about the oils ?
KataL

Post by KataL »

the 3rd is the alchemist's box (very rare)
pocket951

Post by pocket951 »

In my grind to 60 on my rogue I only farmed about 600 alch box..which seems like alot..but when you want to craft a GG ring/amy..you could go through that + 1000's more trying to get the PERFECT roll
emperor13

gems vs flawed gems

Post by emperor13 »

From all of the recipes I've found, they all require flawed gems. What are the transmuted gems for. Can they be turned back into flawed? Are they used in some other recipes that I haven't found yet? Thank you!
Wendigo

Post by Wendigo »

Gems of better quality cannot be re-converted back into lesser quality gems, no. The 'transmute gem' recipes are relatively worthless; by the time you start finding recipes that require better materials you'll be finding equipment that gives you those materials anyway.
Butcher's Brains Collected: 10
Izual's Brains Collected: 1
Smith's Brains Collected: 2
Andariel's Brains Collected: 1