crafting

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
acrah

crafting

Post by acrah »

So, I've got two level 29 characters running around the catacombs on nightmare. I have found dozens of crafting scroll but not a single 'oil' or 'gem' or whatever else you need to actually craft. Is this a bug or do I need to get deeper to start finding those?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Materials are obtained from salvaging items, you basically destroy them and get some materials. Anything except normal (white) items can be Salvaged at the Anvil. It's mostly random as far as i can tell, but higher quality lvl items give better or more materials.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

It is also a good tactic to dedicate one of your characters to become your "Blacksmith. Store all unwanted magic items in the share box along with crafting scrolls. Use that character to learn crafting scrolls first and to always salvage all of the items to build up an inventory of materials. Then, any crafted item can be put into the share box for whichever character needs.
Tzalix

Post by Tzalix »

Is there any reason why crafting materials can't be put in the shared stash? Would make things a lot easier... Any way to make it possible?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Hi Tzalix and welcome to the forum!

It's probably done so to prevent duping. And maybe it is possible, but development has stopped so this is it.
Tzalix

Post by Tzalix »

Hi, thanks. I'm really enjoying the mod so far. I was absolutely overwhelmed with nostalgia and overjoyed to see the game in 1080p and 60 fps and all that. Wonderful. I came across it recently and I'm very sad to hear it's no longer being developed. Is there no chance at all of anyone continuing the development? Is there any information on how the mod was being developed so perhaps one could make small adjustments to it?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Well Noktis (admin) said he plans to improve Belzebub in future, but not anytime soon, the Belzebub build was worked on everyday for 3 years to come to this and in the current state it is complete. And Tchernobog build which should have allowed multiplayer was never finished because several computers don't communicate well, meaning if you do something in game the other computers don't know it, this is why there are no quests in Tchernobog, and even in vanilla D1 just 3 quests without special rooms in multiplayer. Anyway don't expect new stuff soon, if BrightLord (modder) didn't do it until now it's very unlikely that anything new will come from someone else.

And on the side of the discussion the https://freeablo.org/ engine is public and i don't see ppl jumping on it, so anyone here saying they want to do "stuff" is just wishful thinking and they don't really know what they are getting into, i've taken a look at a part of the code from Belzebub and i don't understand it, it is clean but i'm no coder, even BrightLord said at this point it's better to start over with it all rather then modify what was already done, so highly unlikely that anyone would modify this build, i personally don't even believe Noktis will do it, but i hope he proves me wrong in a couple of months/years.

So i'd recommend you just enjoy singleplayer for now and don't worry about anything else.
acrah

thanks

Post by acrah »

Thanks for the informative answers. It is indeed a great mod - pretty much what I had wanted D2 to be (well, if it had multiplayer). As for crafting, am I correct in understanding that I need to throw in an item as well as the listed gems/oils when crafting and that the item in question will lose all its previous properties and gain the new ones after crafting?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Yes you must also put a base item, doesn't matter the quality even whites work, and it's good cause in the case of weapons it's preferable to use one that has top speed for your character, and in the case of any armor piece (for characters that don't focus on STR) one that doesn't have too much STR requirement. Also some of the recipes for body armor work on only one of the "types" of armor which are from the group of light/medium/heavy, in game they are recognizable by their leather/chain/plate variations.

And yeah previous properties are whipped and besides the affixes guarantied by the recipe other random affixes will appear, the same as the ones that can appear on rare items, but as far i can tell the nr of affixes varies according to the quality level of the item (it's somehow determined by factoring in the monster level and your character level) and this qlvl is hidden but as you progress in game items of higher quality level are dropped or can be gambled, and thus you can get a higher nr of affixes when using an item dropped/gambled in Torment than ones from Normal difficulty for ex.
pocket951

Post by pocket951 »

question about level 50 pattern farming....is player 10 cathedral running the best for pattern farming in your experience? I am cureently on the cusp of 55 and I am missing ALOT of the level 50 patterens.. I have conquerors but no fanatic or harbinger

also, what level should I start to become concerned about pattern grinding since I am 3 bars from 55?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

I've had good results with Cathedral lvl 4, on avg 4 recipes drop thou most you already learned, but it's fast to clear and once in a while you find something you didn't learn yet. But i didn't do it on players 10 cause it takes too long, it's better to just clear it several times on players 1 than once on players 10, in the same time. And i didn't understand what you meant with the concern.
hexd

Post by hexd »

@pocket951, portal (to to terror)on lvl 16 or lvl 16 generally, seems to drop lvl 50's ya get less recipes... but better quality.

Caves lvl 10 on are ok too... but mixed low to high...but again not many...& the smith is fun!!!

Cathedral = lot ...but low

Treasure cave can be good too + the unknown...and easy (but don't look for recipes & you'll find 'em...just like life)(although recipes =not so often ya can get lvl 50's)...if ya brave go down to lvl 13 and out again ...seems to make cave tougher

Here's a trick that worked a few times... before ya start a new game, leave some items in the salvage, when ya start new game, before ya go anywhere, do salvage on 'em then play.

OH and ya don't need to up monster power...so ya can do it all faster.
And another one ...before ya play...read a recipe...just one...if ya can.

And if ya change any of your gear, exit and re-start...seems to re-set things.
If i want to drink and smoke 'til i can't stand-up what the hell is it to you!.
pocket951

Post by pocket951 »

My concern is that I will hit level 60 and I wont have the patterns for the rings I need to deck myself out
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Even if you did it's still good to find them eventually and you need them more for the other melee characters, for ex the Fanatic recipes are the best for most classes, except Sorcerer and Necromancer, so once you get them and craft some items you have several characters that make best use of them, it's not like reaching lvl 60 on your Rogue will turn these recipes redundant.
pocket951

Post by pocket951 »

I found zealots ring pattern (tier 3 assassin)

is that worth using mats to make a decent mana leach ring untill I get harbingers or fanatics?