Hybrid Melee Necromancer

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
tchahin

Hybrid Melee Necromancer

Post by tchahin »

Is it possible to make a Caster/Melee Necro?
I want to rely on Life Leech, Life Regen, cast spells using health, and never use minions.

Thank you
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

I've tried going melee with Necromancer, but it's not as viable as a pure caster, i mean not at all end game but okish in Normal and up to Nightmare's end. His hit recovery is terrible and he's speed with sword/mace is not as good as the other fighter characters. So out of this experience i've only taken that is best to have him with weapon+shield instead of staff, for the extra stats.

And i can guess why you though to do this, it's because you saw him have more life than the fighter heroes, and i also though it could work as melee, without summons because they block my way, especially in tight areas. But he's just too slow, and since you invest a lot into VIT your Damage will be lower (comes form STR & DEX) then any of the fighter heroes.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Ugily the Necro through the mid levels of Hell and early Nightmare was about 50% melee with distance spells like lightning and chain lightning. Each time I faced Diablo was only able to defeat him by slugging it out in melee. I used some sort of Flail of kill everything with DPS of about 2800 and HP steal. So, at these levels my necro build was very much melee and spell caster, but always kept an army minions and revives to fight mobs.

Towards the end of Nightmare, began to mainly use distance spells and minions. Stay out of the battle, and strategically place you skeletons to maintain distance from bosses. Weaken mobs with area effect spells.

Now, level 51 in dlevel 5 torment. Minions only, just walk around and pick up loot. Most common spells are Telekenesis and Charged bolt to break up barrels. Clear mobs with corpse explosion. Just be careful not to let baddies sneak up on you.

I recently went back to Nightmare to kill Diablo with only skeletons and was able to beat him very quickly.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

When I hit level 60 and reset my ststs, I will probably put all points into Vit and reduce STR and DEX to minimum levels to equip my favorite items. Mag will be reduced to absolute minimum.