Necromancer and Spells

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Lentil

Necromancer and Spells

Post by Lentil »

I just got a mod and made a nec, and from reading this forum the minions apparently just isn't up to snub especially for bosses. If it were to make it end game I would need spells as a main damage source. Please help me answer couple questions...

Does blood ritual eliminate magic requirement for sorcerer spells?
If yes, Is it worth investing in magic before getting blood ritual?

How many levels does it take to increase my number of skeletons and revives?

What can I do to make lvling easier until I get blood ritual?
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

There are many posts that answer these questions.

In short, necro has to be a well wounded character from about level 15-29, using spells, fast melee weapons, and an army of the undead. Once you hit 30 to level 44 you will rely more on blood ritual using spells and army of undead and give up the melee weapon for a suitable staff. Past level 45 you will carry a staff on follow your army of undead around picking up loot. At level 50 and above, a necro can sit back and drink a nice cup of tea while his minions kill everything in terror domain and defeat Diablo before you take Hell's spoils.
Lentil

Post by Lentil »

thanks...but doesn't answer the most important question here. Does blood ritual remove or replace magic requirement for spells?
If not, then I'll want to do a hybrid build...simple yes or no would do -.-
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

I see. Blood Ritual does not replace your magic ability to learn higher level spells. It only allows you to use blood instead of mana to cast spells. You can level up magic with shrines, potions, and save up equipment with +Mag to wear when you are ready for spell school. Save up you books that you want to learn and wait until you find a shrine, chug a mag potion, and put on your best +mag gear. Learn as many as you can while your Mag is maxxed out. Go buy books from the witch, hit the closest dungeon, come back and try her again.
Lentil

Post by Lentil »

Thanks. My sorc is level 33 and her spells require 250+ magic already, granted most of them are almost maxed out...is it possible to reach higher than that with only items and potion?
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Yes, it is possible with some very rare items at much higher level. Necro should start putting all points into Vit. You won't really need so many spells as much as you think . Your weapon is your army of undead minions with occasional Bone Spirit and Blood Star. Chain lightning for mobs. Once the mob is weakened and a few are killed, corpse explosion will reduce them to bits.
Sargoth

Post by Sargoth »

I would also warn you that Blood Ritual prevents you from using Healing spell. This is not written at "F" character skills or anywhere else... I was leveling my Necromancer to lvl 32 and was hoping that i'll make a caster which doesn't need to drink potions like thirsty alcoholic.. But i was wrong :-/ ... It is not about money (i got 1 milion+ gold), but i simply hate that rapid consuming of pots gameplay style... I was hoping that Blood Ritual will solve this since you could replenish your casting resource with Healing.. But i was wrong :-/ ... I see no reason why is it blocked. Healing spell can be interrupted when being hit so potions are still better to use.. and money isn't really an issue when monsters drop 5-10k on Hell... This potion spamming is something i hate about Diablo 1 :-/
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Perform Blood Ritual in town, then the Healer Pepin will top you off in blood. No way around the potions until you have very high regeneration.

At level 51 in torment, I have found that I no longer need Blood Ritual unless I encounter a tough boss. I'm using a Rathma set substituted with a Bone Collector staff. I can refill my blood tank by firing off a few Bone Spirit spells. Mana regin from Bone Collector is pretty much only used for Telekenesis and Town Portal.

Ugily the Necromancer pretty much is a clean up crew for the dungeon.

Pretty much everything is recycled for crafting.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

I sometimes cancel Blood Ritual and use mana to Heal, then cast it back again, it takes some life off the top, but i don't use mana for anything else anyway.

And yeah, i also feel disabling Heal on Necro is just annoying, on characters you can use Dark Pact/Heal to refill without potions, this just switches you up once you get Blood Ritual, everybody uses Dark Pact/Heal when you lack potions and are in desperate need, and Blood Ritual cuts Heal for no apparent reason.