Clarification about the progress saving

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
bigboy2g15

Clarification about the progress saving

Post by bigboy2g15 »

Hi

is that correct that in this mod, unlike in the original diablo, only character states and items are saved?
At each game restart, the whole town/caves/dungeon/monsters are re-generated?

So there is no way to play this mod in the same way than the original diablo, with a save of the complete status of the game, not only the player?
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Yes, that's correct : the saving system is very similar to the one used in Diablo II : your character (along with completed quests) gets saved, while your in-game progress doesn't.
bigboy2g15

Post by bigboy2g15 »

Thank you for the clarification.

I can only regret this choice as I love the Diablo 1 system as much as I dislike the one of Diablo 2.
zidders

Post by zidders »

Ugh. This is so annoying. I'd love this mod but can't stand that it doesn't keep the original save system.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Care to elaborate why you prefer the original save system? It seems like there would be less variety since you seeing the same dungeon layout over and over.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

You could simply never exit the game or turn off your computer until you get bored that the dungeons never change or respawn.
bigboy2g15

Post by bigboy2g15 »

Well, that's how I like to play Diablo. Once a year I create a new character and play with it until the game is finished.
I like the idea that my progress is saved, that all I did stays there, that game is finishable, all enemies killed, quests completed etc.

And if I m stuck, I simply recreate a game with the same character, so I can level it up on the first levels in order to make it more easy for the next level, that until Diablo is killed.

The disadvantage to restart is that you can keep only the items you hold, but well, that forces me to do some choices of which item I find really necessary.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Good input, I guess ideally this could be a configuration option so that you can choose between the two styles (persistent dungeon layouts vs random each play session)

In the original Diablo, do the enemies respawn after you killed them (on a previous session) ? Or is it just a whole lot of empty dungeons until you get back to where you were last fighting.
Mnemozin

Post by Mnemozin »

Or is it just a whole lot of empty dungeons until you get back to where you were last fighting.
this
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

I suppose you could make a suggestion in the Main Suggestions thread. Something along the lines of, SUGGESTION: Add Save current dungeon status option to GAME SETTINGS/SETTINGS menu for Single Player.

I agree that, if possible, would would be a feature that several people have expressed a desire for.

Additionally, maybe in far future development there could be several RESPAWN options.

First, GAME SETTINGS/SETTINGS menu option to respawn current active level with random current dungeon level enemies,
Second, option to respawn randomly current dungeon level after certain lime limits with progressively more difficult enemies
Third, a command option to respawn entire dungeon level.

But, so as not to burden the DEVs, their priority is Tcherno
bigboy2g15

Post by bigboy2g15 »

I guess ideally this could be a configuration option so that you can choose between the two styles (persistent dungeon layouts vs random each play session)
That would be awesome! To be honest, outside of the discussed point, this mod is so good that after playing it, coming back to the original game is very hard!

In the original Diablo, enemies don't respawn, dungeons stay with the same shape, drops stays on the floor etc.
Leaving the game in the original Diablo is like going back to the village in the mod, if you come back in the dungeons, they are like they were when you left.

So yes, a lot of empty dungeons, but there is some shortcut that opens, the game is build around that. And there is still the possibilitie of using town portal spells.

About making a suggestion, good idea, I don t have much hope there but hey, why not.