Save corruption?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
Bloodshot12

Save corruption?

Post by Bloodshot12 »

I've been playing with a friend and we got to the catacombs, but then the cold captain enemies or whatever they are called would kill him and he'd be stuck at 0 health.

He restarted the server and now it won't load. He can create a new character and it's fine, but using his char the game crashes on load and we don't know what to do.

At the very least is there any way we can edit a character to have the same stats/equipment?
AlinBallin

Post by AlinBallin »

it happend to my friend as well on some other circumstances had no choice to restart. i strongly suggest to make backup of ur save files every couple min

if ur health goes to 0 and wont die, just go to town ull imnstantly die so u can restart in town

and as for saving backup files it is important as i found a bug that occurs only when i play with other ppl, i dont know specifically what triggers it but your weapon dissapears. im still invistigating on this matter
www.twitch.tv/alinballin

purpose: show people that old games can be good

currently on:
-Diablo1 Tchernobog Mod (multiplayer belzebub)
-Baldur's gate 2:Enhanced edition
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Send me download link on priv with corrupted save file for investigation.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

PMs not working, but he can use contact form on website.
Bloodshot12

Post by Bloodshot12 »

Thanks guys, my friend isn't online now but once he is I'll have him send me the save so I can send it to you.

Also, I think it may have something to do with the "Risen Hero" boss for Arkaine Valor.

I tried him again with 2 other (different) people and we made backups to test it, and one of my friend's chars lost all her items so she restored the backup.
Gloc

Post by Gloc »

My lvl 15 sorc just got corrupted too, game crashes each time I try to log on.
I'm not sure what caused it. If anybody wants the file, message me your e-mail and I'll send it.
DysDaemoN

Post by DysDaemoN »

Greetings. Congratulations on this mod, the best for D1 imho. The engine is brilliant, the lighting fx, zooming, interface, class skills, rare/set items, crafting, extra quests (not yet 100% working here but in Belzeebub they rocked), everything... Thank you Brightlord for this blessing of a mod you have granted us.

I have also suffered a save-game corruption, causing my lvl-30 warrior to crash the game on loading.

The detailed circumstances surrounding his corruption were the following:

Having obtained 2 bloodstones on level 5 Nightmare difficulty, he was attacked near Arkaine's tomb by a really bad ass unique familiar-type monster, lightning-enchanted if memory serves. Being overpowered, the warrior retreated to a corner to battle the monster and two of its minions, where he was surrounded.

A few momments earlier I had received the message that my warrior was killed by said monster, but in fact he had survived, drinking a potion just in time. Note that this bug (false death message) had occured to me before, without further complications.

As my warrior was surrounded by the three monsters pinning him to the corner, however, all actions stopped on the game. No attacking, spell-casting or item usage (including swapping items or arranging the inventory) was possible, and even the monsters had stopped attacking. My character was still alive if i recall, but unable to do anytihng.

In fact, it seemed a lot like a server disconnect, albeit i was playing single-player. The symptoms were identical to a real disco.

After trying anything to no avail, i chose to exit back to main manu. It then displayed the error screen with the message that connection to the served had been lost (or something along these lines).

The warrior has become corrupted ever since, crashing the game upon loading every single time.

If you want me to somehow upload the savegame for inspection, please inform me how to do so.

Thank you once again for this great mod.
Last edited by DysDaemoN on 22 May, 2015 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

PM doesn't work on forum. :(

Save is corrupted anyway so there is no problem to just upload it on any of free file hosting sites and provide link in post.
DysDaemoN

Post by DysDaemoN »

Thank you for your reply.
I take that there is no real chance of repairing the file. But at least it can perhaps aid in the development of the mod.

Here's the link:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=344 ... 6887244623
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Fixed that save. There was corrupted item inside inventory that messed up inventory loading block. It has nothing to do with what you do in game. It somehow happened during character write to drive however I have no idea how.
DysDaemoN

Post by DysDaemoN »

Wow, thanks a lot Brightlord.
You say what happened in-game was irrelevant to the corruption? Perhaps then it was the result of the server noticing the corrupted item and hanging up like this?

In any event, is there any chance of me obtaining the fixed savegame so as to resume my... um... alpha-testing?

Cant wait to discover how charge works now that mana costs for class-skills seem to have been done away with (perhaps it has a cool-down instead?)!
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Sure, want me to provide dl link?
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Ive found reason for save corruption. Will be hotfixed.
Wish I had time for this project. Unfortunately all I can do now is hotfix small bugs.
DysDaemoN

Post by DysDaemoN »

Well done BrightLord :) One step closer to perfection.

Yes, a dl link would be most appreciated.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

PM system will hopefully work today. I will post link there. Save corruption happens if character is saved with quest item inside any of inventories. Simply don't pickup items like bloodstones, magic rocks and similiar until next hotfix patch.