Izual Rogue strategy?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
sandyb87

Post by sandyb87 »

Really? I killed him plenty of times and I never got the map of the stars quest and I never had Cain tell me Diablo reached his full power after the hour had past, only happened to me when I picked up the map and spoke to Cain.

I guess it just does it anyway?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

You can get the quest only once per difficulty (like all quests), and after you killed Diablo the 1st time the quest is complete and disappears form your quest log. After this happened for any other future time picking up the Map of the Stars item doesn't make any difference. This is because for any future time you start the game on the difficulty you already completed that quest on if go down into Terror's Domain and are not fast enough or you just wait in town for 1h you'll see Cain gives the fail msg and Diablo will be at full power, even if you completed the quest in a previous game.

Also if you never ever pick up the Map of the Starts item, meaning you kill Lazarus and go down into Terror's Domain and 1h passes without killing Diablo or just wait in town, Cain still gives the fail quest dialogue and Diablo gets to full power, even if you didn't activate the quest at all, not even for the 1st time ever on current difficulty with that character.

In short there is no way to avoid the 1h timer and have Diablo not get to full power if you don't kill him in 1h. Getting the Map of the Stars item can start the quest for the 1st time in that difficulty, and if you complete it then any other time it is just like a watch and nothing more, and Diablo gets to full power in 1h regardless of you having the Map of the Stars item or not.

I know this because i think i've tested all possibilities but maybe there is something i missed. So if you feel you discovered something else, please tell me exactly what you did because i'm curious to test it myself.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Off topic, but...

Really, once you kill Diablo and finish the game difficulty, there are very few reasons to play that difficulty again. Just move on towards Torment.

Reasons to play a difficulty again:

1. To farm for missing or better low level uniques and set items
2. To play dungeon levels at $PLAYER 10 to level up a bit and farm
3. To wait and farm for an hour then defeat full strength Uber Diablo on $PLAYER 10

By the time you are ready to move to the next difficulty, the items that are dropped are not worth farming anyway.
aleeque

Post by aleeque »

Which is how it should be.

I hated that in vanilla D1, there was literally zero difference between farming normal/hell and farming hell/hell. All items could drop from Lazarus on normal. That was beyond retarded.

D2 handled this much better.
sandyb87

Post by sandyb87 »

I'd kill Lazarus and I wouldn't open the chest, I'd just keep grinding around levels and I never got cain to activate the uber diablo prompt. I killed Lazarus maybe 10 times when I was trying to get better gear.

I did a back up save before I tested it out because I knew I'd be screwed if I had to face uber diablo.

Does the timer reset when you save and exit?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Yes timer is reset with each game you load. Also tell me which lvls you grinded because i want to reproduce that for testing. Meanwhile i suspect the timer may starts to run down once you enter Terror's Domain in any game, not necessarily after you kill Lazarus, so i'll test this and get it out of the way if it's not true.
sandyb87

Post by sandyb87 »

I was pretty much just doing levels 1-10 because I was trying to get flawed gems as the higher levels will give you better gear and of course normal gems when salvaged.

I wasn't running terror domain so I guess that could be the reason.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Ok, so i powerleveled a Rogue to the end of Normal, killed Lazarus, didn't take the scroll, didn't go down to Terror's Domain and i didn't get Cain's fail dialogue. Backed up the character and did all that plus went down to Terror's Domain and he gave the dialogue after 1h, so it's entering Terror Domain that triggers the timer, not Lazarus' death as i initially thought.
sandyb87

Post by sandyb87 »

I guess that explains it, does the timer only work while in terror's domain or you can just go down for a second and the timer will continue?
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

It starts when you go down to Terror Domain and continues regardless of where you are, i waited in town to see Cain pop his exclamation mark and give the fail dialogue.
Keighn

Post by Keighn »

Does diabo after timer exceed give better drops than before timer runs out?

What's the full difference between the two versions of before/after diablo?

Maybe it's on the forum somewhere.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Drops seem random, all we know is he is tougher to beat, not necessarily that he gives better stuff. Thou i know with the $player X command he gives better stuff, so try that instead of farming him at full power.