Help with development?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
PeterN

Help with development?

Post by PeterN »

Hello dear community, seeing how the development has basically gone to a halt, and how it hurts me to see this happen, I would like to ask

A) BrightLord + the admins: Would you be willing to accept help with development from the community? Would you be willing to open the source? (see comment below)
If not, can you at least accept pull requests to a private repository?
B) The community here: Would you like to help? Are you skilled with C++ already or are you willing to learn? If so, reply to this post please.

Let's keep this project running, it is a great pity to see this great work die.
Thank you very much!
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Regarding the possibility to go open source, there was this comment by BrightLord almost a year ago to my question:

Why is source still closed? It's a sad story...
Only reason is that there are some people in diablo 1 modding community I simply HATE.

However I promise that source will be opened soon unless I find enough time to continue with it at reasonable pace.
(see discussion here: http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/is-the-mod- ... 46-15.html )

I do not mean this comment as a criticism, just as a reminder to BrightLord of a promise he's made quite a long time ago, and of a chance of finding maintainers of (t)his grand project.
DacianDraco

Post by DacianDraco »

Send him a PM and see what he has to say directly. I've sent him one and got the code for spells, received it several weeks later after i lost hope of an answer but still. Unfortunately i am not a coder, so i can't read most of it, Noktis (admin) is also not a coder but has modding knowledge so can bring something to the table if he wishes and has time to.

On the other hand it's understandable why source is not open, it's hard to give up your baby and possibly have it ruined by someone who doesn't share the same vision. In the current state there is very little i'd accept in terms of change, and i'm afraid because i've heard lots of "suggestions" and even requests to step back into some vanilla style stuff, and that will ruin it for me. But then again i'm not afraid of the new, so some additions i'd welcome, most importantly for me being complete multiplayer, it's more fun to play with someone. As far as i know BrightLord is busy with other projects, he didn't abandon it but it's suspended indefinitely, speaking directly with him would be best, i don't believe a "community help" mishmash gets anywhere but it's nice that you asked it as well.

And as side question, did you do anything? Not just D1 maybe other games, i'm just curios.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

@DraconianDraco:
I hear you, yet most of the problems with going open source can be entirely or partially avoided. You can have a curated process of development, where only a handful of people involved in the project would review and accept the so-called pull requests (which are units of change) submitted by contributors who have read-only access. Of course this in and of itself doesn't prevent someone to basically fork the project a deploy it elsewhere, but technically that wouldn't be the same project anymore, so...
If forking the project is an issue, ok, don't open the source completely. You can have a selected, trusted group of contributors to your non-public repository, who, again, have only read-only access + the option to submit pull requests.

I don't know what changes others have in mind, but I just want some bugs fixed, more hotkeys & shortcuts, as an optional bonus a book of infravision, possibly some UI enhancements to improve user experience, that kind of thing. And to bring Chernobog to be on par with Belzebub with respect to features (quests, items, people, etc.).

I haven't worked on games other than my own simple learning projects, but I am a coder by profession and may be able to contribute. Language barrier isn't a huge issue, I think, even if the code is in Polish. I am originally from Slovakia and understand most of Polish conversations, so I'd probably understand the code.
I am pressed for time, but would be willing to dedicate some time to this.
Dog

Post by Dog »

wow... I didnt know the game was so long in dev with no updates .
This would be epic to see some creative control power distributed to new
thinkers adding to a classic !

GOOD LUCK :D
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

I think that any development at this point in the project is on the Tchernobog side only. At some point Belzebub and Tchernobog will simply be Diablo 1 HD Mod.

You request should probably be directed to the other forum.
aleeque

Post by aleeque »

Well, the mod is finished, what more development could there be? It's stable, there are no (visible) bugs etc.

Hell, even vanilla Diablo had more gamebreaking bugs than this. How about projectiles fired diagonally at certain angles not hitting enemies? That was still not fixed after 9 patches! (this bug is finally fixed in the mod by the way, thank god)
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

My understanding is that codenames Tchernobog and Belzebub are two sides of the same coin and at some time they will be consolidated into a single package which will be Diablo 1 HD Mod.

Am I mistaken?

Belzebub has great playability for beta, and everything works well minus a few crashes now and then. There are two spell slots that have not been implemented. Some bugs in a few set items, some crafting recipes that have not been activated, a few equipment items that still may not be active. And there are probably a few minor game balance issues. Most set items are of limited end game use and could use a bonus per level. None of these affect game play though.

Tchernobog is very early and is still working out multi-player functionality. Quests are not active.

Great work in progress.
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Tchernobog is very early and is still working out multi-player functionality. Quests are not active.

Great work in progress.
Well, it's that "in progress" part that I am unsure and worried about. There is not much progress at the moment, and there may be people out there willing to help out. Other than that, sure, you're right, it is quite feature-complete, yet as with any project, some things could be improved.
snv

Post by snv »

There is already an open source Diablo 1 project you can contribute to. It is called Freeablo. Although it is under GPL, so you have to publish any changes back under GPL. Therefore my guess is that BrightLord just steals code from Freeablo and other free sources, without even crediting them, so he wants to keep it secret. :twisted:
Agent-Of-Order

Post by Agent-Of-Order »

It is truly disheartening to see this amazing project left by the wayside. I for one would donate money towards the development of this project, and I'm sure many others feel the same. Based on what the website says, this forum had the most amount of users ever on it a couple of days ago, and that's in 2016 :D

Interest in this mod by the online community is strong, we just want some word on development :(
--------------------------------------
Nobody belongs anywhere.
Nobody chooses to exist.
Everyone dies.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

@snv
You disgust me.

There is no reason to release Belzebub sources because it's complete. Live with it.

Tchernobog code will most likely be released as downloadable .zip because project is dead for year and half and I totally don't care about it. It's several thousands lines of object C++ code. I really doubt anyone have: time, will and knowledge to finish it. Writing some code and having program work flawlessly on other people computers are two different things you know :D. Honestly this code is not up to my standards anymore and I cannot willingly continue to work on it without starting from scratch.

It was great journey but it obviously ended for me long time ago.
snv

Post by snv »

@BrightLord

Sorry. I just can't trust closed source software coming from indie developers. It could be full of malware. And there were already cases of hackers using malware to do EXIF search, leading to soldiers deaths and national security threats.