Capabilities of the engine

Diablo 1 HD, codename Tchernbog - General forum.
qualakon

Capabilities of the engine

Post by qualakon »

Hello friends,

Love Tchernobog. It's excellent, simply delightful.

I've been playing Tchernobog and I can see that quests and events aren't completed yet, so I was wondering - do they have to be programmed manually, each event and every quest? If so, that makes for possibilities like custom quests, or different quest endings than we're used to.

An example would be having a different end for the Tavern's Sign quest based on if you return the sign to Ogden versus if you give the sign to Snotspill. I imagine Snotspill would be happy and opens up his own Tavern just before catacombs there. What services would he offer? Can we have NPCs in the dungeon?

Question about each difficulty, is it possible to have Normal, Nightmare and Hell each start in a different town.dun file, with different NPCs and rename them to Acts 1,2 and 3 instead? Keep the difficulty increase and the item drop but new quests and a continued story?

In town, my pet peeve is seeing the black corners of the map, and I also want to make a larger playable area. What's the biggest map size if I were to use dun_edit to make a larger town area?

Is it possible to use Tchernobog's engine to create new .dun files? I remember in pre-Chochlik (over 2 years ago, wow...) you could set "DEV ON" and edit some tiles, but couldn't extend the game past the black edge. It'd be helpful to have a preview of the tile you're on, similar to how dun_edit lets you pick. It takes really long to load custom maps too, no MAPLOAD option, have to rename to TOWN48x48.dun and repack the MPQ.

This is all for now,

Cheers
Ruffy

Post by Ruffy »

As far as I know is Tchernobog a complete rewritten Diablo I, so kinda everything is possible.
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

True, I'll let you have the semantics.

I guess my question is how probable is it without having to rewrite too much which is already there?
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

If they're going that far, they should just drop Diablo and make a new IP altogether. It's probably more romhacking, with a greater reliance on their own code for networking.

Anyway, these guys must be crazy advanced in whatever language this game was coded in.
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

I think it's C++ but I haven't seen to code to say myself.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

It's Logo programing. :wink:
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

Logo, the educational language...?

Weird!
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

It's Logo programing. Wink
Sarcasm flows through this one.
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

Well now I don't know what to think. Tell me what to think, forum. :lol:
Constance

Post by Constance »

Since it requires the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes…
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

Fair enough.

Just for the sake of argument, C++ is source-and-link compatible with C, right? So the vanilla game could still have been programmed in c, could it not?
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Diablo was programmed in c++.
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

Yeah, I figured. I wonder if a major game company will ever release source code? Would be fascinating to peruse. Those outdated programming paradigms would be amusing if nothing else.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Original diablo 1 source code is probably way better in quality and resource management then most of software produced today. It takes no brain to develop on system with multicore cpu's and gigabytes of ram.
Daimoth

Post by Daimoth »

Programmers are punished less for being clumsy with system resources, yes. Less work, but also less creativity.