Some questions from a noob (Sorc vs. the Dark Lord himself)

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Emmeline

Some questions from a noob (Sorc vs. the Dark Lord himself)

Post by Emmeline »

Hi everyone.
I'm kind of at my wits end, and I'm just not that great at these sorts of games.
I'm playing a L28 Sorc - and I'm having a hell of a time trying to kill Diablo himself (Normal mode. Please don't laugh. First time in...13 years I've played this game, on a class that I was never really great at). All it results in, is me chugging down full mana potions and making a quick port back to town before I get killed, when I'm out and hes still nowhere near dead.
Also, does the Map of the Stars item matter, if Cain has already said 'hes at the height of his power' - does that make the Diablo fight so much more harder? (Bear in mind - I already tried to fight him before this occurred, and it resulted in the above).
Am I just not high enough level? Or is there an actual strategy that I could use, that would make this a lot easier?
I've tried kiting him while throwing down Guardians, Golem regen when its available, then Elemental Drain and spamming the bejesus out of Chain Lightning - nuking him as hard as I can while the duration is up.
Thanks in advance, everyone.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Teleport + Guardians is probably the easiest strategy. Try to find a staff that reduces enemy's resistance to fire. Just dont teleport too far away or he will reset his hp to full. Fill your inventory and some place on the level's floor with full mana potions and drink elixirs before the fight.
And yes, if you fail to clear the Diablo's level in one hour after first entering it he gets a behemoth ability making him have more hp and lifesteal i believe.
By the way as the lord of Terror, he will cast spells more often the further away from him you will be, that was said by the mod's developer once.
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

Damnit. I figured that was probably the case.
I guess, in a way, I could probably level some more (now that he's behemoth), get some better gear/higher level skills, and things would be overall easier when I go to smite him again. I think my Guardian skill is only like, level 2 or 3?
To be frank - it seemed like the first 15 levels were fairly straightforward, then the difficulty rating went up a crapton on levels 16/terror area. It took me 2 goes to figure out a strategy to kill the non-Diablo bosses on the Terror map.
Thanks very much for the response. I'm open to other suggestions, too, from others. :)

Edit: I tried again - and this time I'm getting owned by the mini-boss which is at the east of the map. He just keeps hitting me faster and faster and faster and then BOOM dead. I'm about 0.01 seconds away from just ragequitting. Seriously sick of running in and just getting owned.
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Go back down into the caves and level up. Farm for better equipment in the various honey holes - Bone Chamber, Hidden Treasure.

If you can survive the difficulty, play using the $PLAYER (5-10) command.

Get some magic find.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

The kniggt boss that kills xou...just use the teleport guardian tactic. If you still cant donit you need to lvl up guardian
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

@ Ugily: I forgot what level Hidden Treasure is on. Its either 12 or 13, right? I actually enjoyed that dungeon, so it'd be awesome to farm.
Thank you for the clarification on the $PLAYER command. I'll have a poke around with this. Seems like an awesome way to level up quicker, haha!

@ Sergio: The funny thing is, I had no problems whatsoever the first time I went to kill him, and I didn't even use Teleport that time. Just the second time he walloped on me and I got owned. Three times. :oops:
Guardian's only at like level 3 I think. So that's probably why I had so much trouble.

Thanks very much, guys - for the help. I kinda figured that maybe I might be able to fluke a kill on Diablo himself - but the game isn't designed to be easy, even on Normal mode!

That being said, there was only one minor hiccup prior to this level, and that was Brutallus in the River of Flame - I couldn't hit him at all (and I tried multiple things). Any suggestions on him? Or is he an 'Elemental Drain' and nuke the crap out of, boss?
Ugily

Post by Ugily »

Hidden Treasure is located outside of town on Wirt's map.

Even Bosses have random properties on each randomly generated dungeon level. Sometimes they can be very powerful, sometimes fairly easy to vanquish.

I always try to play at the highest $PLAYER x level I can. If you get killed too often, bring it down a mlvl.
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

Thanks very much, guys. All of this info is very helpful.
I didn't realise until after your responses that you could actually hotkey spells to f-keys - this is the main reason I had so much trouble with Diablo himself. Trying to swap spells while kiting = almost impossible!
Its much easier now though. Playing Hidden Treasure on $PLAYER 10 is really fun. Turns out my Guardian spell is level 8. Gonna farm some more!

Ninja-edit: It seems I've barely scratched the surface on this mod. Been looking around the forums and you guys have some incredible gear/set additions on stuff I'm not even able to wear, level-wise!
Just reached level 30, and rolled full magic-find gear that I've acquired so far (I think I had about 125-mf all up, with just random mishmash of items with MF) - and first time completed Hidden Treasure on $PLAYER 10, which is pretty decent for myself, haha!
Thanks guys.
Emmeline

Post by Emmeline »

Slight update: Wooo! I killed Diablo! It was actually easier than that bloody knight boss. :shock:
I think doing Hidden Treasure in full MF gear on $PLAYER 10 gave me the skills and player-awareness to finally beat the crap out of him. I actually overprepared for the fight, in fact! Only needed maybe 6 mana potions to kill him.
Onto Nightmare I go!
One small question - I noticed that even from level 1 of NM I noticed that drops were higher level. Is the droprate of rares/etc higher on NM?