Ogodei's modding attempts

Offtopic
Ogodei

Ogodei's modding attempts

Post by Ogodei »

Hello guys. I'm creating this thread to post my questions about D1/HF modding, in order not to pollute the offtopic section.

my first question is : how to find the correct memory address to edit a character's appearance? (and how to find memory addresses, in general?)

Here is what i would like to do : changing the Barbarian or the Warrior appearance to look like a sorceror (and converting it into a sword/magic user via EzModMaker2k) and applying a TRN to its graphics.

Thanks in advance :)
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

You can only change base data with EzModMaker2000 like item stats, affix value etc.
About character GFX http://www.thedark5.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1108
noname

Post by noname »

my first question is : how to find the correct memory address to edit a character's appearance? (and how to find memory addresses, in general?)

Here is what i would like to do : changing the Barbarian or the Warrior appearance to look like a sorceror (and converting it into a sword/magic user via EzModMaker2k) and applying a TRN to its graphics.
  • 1. Launch debugger, set breakpoints and test.
    2. To switch appearance :

Code: Select all

004244D4  MOV DWORD PTR [EAX],ECX
    here is char's appearance in hellfire. This code called every time when you switching equipment, move any of values
    (Graphical display of char. It's a summation of the following values (1 of each ,
    Weapon: 02=Sword,04=Bow,05=Axe,06=Mace,08=Staff
    Shield: 01=Shield
    Armor: 10=Medium,20=Heavy) to ecx, and appearance will change.
    3. To switch gfx just open data.mpq, copy sorc .cl2 files and rename it as warrior's .cl2. Delete old warrior's .cl2 files. Done. No more warrior in game.
    4. There no way to apply .trn files to player's gfx... Yet.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Thanks Noktis and noname. I already managed to do it softcoded way : by copying the modified gfx in the patch_rt.mpq i managed to alter the look of the warrior and the look of the sorceror :) but this information will help me a lot in the future.

Also, another question : I noticed that when I try to replace the gfx of the character with the ones of a monster, it looks shredded and doubled. Does anyone know what's the cause of this?
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Does anyone know what's the cause of this?
Probably incorrect animation size (width I think).
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Hi Noktis,

Yes, I suspected so. Is there a method to resize the images without damaging the image, making it appear too small compared to the other characters and monsters? I'd need to work on the Succubus animation to replace the Bard's gfx.
noname

Post by noname »

I'd need to work on the Succubus animation to replace the Bard's gfx.
tutorial
Also that will take years.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

yes, i noticed that. it is going to take a lot of time, therefore i'm not going to do that right now :) . I will focus on characters and items for now, then i'll make monsters tougher.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Found a problem (shredded-mode) with the sorceror-looking warrior. Too bad, I think i'll have to use the warrior's gfx with a .trn , made by TDG23 :)

Also, i would like to know if these things are possible :

a. To set the maximum amount of subjugable monsters (using berserk skill) to 6, scaling by clvl (1 at start, +1 every 10 levels)

b. To apply a .TRN to the subjugated monsters

c. To change the colour of both the red border that appear everytime I highlight te subjugated with mouse and the info displayed on highlighting (i.e name , hit points, res/immunities)

d. To tell the subjugated monsters to follow me through the dlvl i'm running and possibly into other dlvl's and in town.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Also, i would like to know if these things are possible:
Everything is possible if you are good in ASM.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

Yes, that's for sure... But i don't understand a thng about ASM. I think i will have to study it for a while... or at least trying to understand how it works.

Also, i was wondering : is there a coding way to deal with the shredding-bug? I would really like to let the class i'm creating to look like a sorceror, but having it shredded each time I cast a spell (the bug happens there, and only there) is frustrating.

p.s : I remember that I used (long ago, without any code edit) a modding program which was different and more efficent than EZModmaker2000. I just don't remember the name... it's possible that is called "Hellfire modmaker" or something like that? .-. I would really like to download another modding tool but EZ seems to be the only one available atm.
noname

Post by noname »

Yes, that's for sure... But i don't understand a thng about ASM. I think i will have to study it for a while... or at least trying to understand how it works.
"study for a while" it's not about assembler.
Also to make real changes and not to spent years of time, you will need advanced c++. So be ready for hard work.
Shredding bug (if I got right understanding) may be caused by different frame sets for casting. You can check dark mod notes to get more info.

Too bad, I think i'll have to use the warrior's gfx with a .trn , made by TDG23
I still didn't get it. How do you want to apply .trn file to player gfx?
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

I still didn't get it. How do you want to apply .trn file to player gfx?
Probably he want do that manually and put changed gfx into mpq. If I remember correctly you did this in AngelHack but you used photoshop or similar tool. I think you can achieve better results via photoshop.
Ogodei

Post by Ogodei »

this is what i've done using TDG23 : notice, blue sorceror (similar to Belzebub's necromancer).

By applying .TRN's to character i mean doing the same thing BrightLord did in Belzebub : as you said here >> http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/a-darker-so ... t=sorceror the Necromancer uses the same graphic of the sorceror, but a TRN is applied to him in order to make him blue (in few word, you color the gfx without using tdg23)

This screenshot shows the shredding bug at work. In this picture the warrior, that was supposed to use Sorc's gfx, is casting a magic spell (the "qm" animation). The shredding occours everytime I cast a spell, no matter which element or type.

this third screen shows my ""warrior"" while killing a scavenger hitting it with the shield. no shredding.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

This screenshot shows the shredding bug at work.
Probably Warrior and Sorcerer using diffrernt famesize.