Donations

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
srennick

Donations

Post by srennick »

So I'd be willing to donate to fund the completion of the multiplayer version? Anyone else?
S.
Constance

Post by Constance »

BrightLord won't accept it for reasons such as stated here : http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/post2732.html#2732
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Hmm, I wonder if that is still a legitimate reason - there are modders (for other games) who accept donations for their work, and I don't hear about them getting a DCMA or C&D. Also, as recent events show, it can even be done legally, for some games at least, via Steam. I think other games and other CDNs will follow suit. Also, I don't really see Blizzard taking legal action for a game they made 20 years ago. 20. Years. Ago. :)

Call me naive...
Last edited by PeterN on 01 May, 2015 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
GeX

Post by GeX »

Wanted to create similar topic.Would lovely to donate and maybe motivate for faster battle.net release.This mod gave me so much fun and memories that 5$ won't damage my wallet, and few donations like that, would allow BrightLord enjoy with hookers and vodka
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Another example came to my mind:

Starcraft (original one) was quite heavily reverse-engineered and modded by people who were getting paid for it (I think, they were University staff I believe), as part of the effort to make automated matches between AI-controlled players possible. Blizzard's response was something in the lines of: "Meh, we don't care, but stay out of SC2, or we'll sue the sh*t out of you". Which supports my previous point.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Polish tax system doesn't allow me to take donations like that without getting into big trouble really. It doesn't support donationware. :(
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

How so? I assume law in EU regarding this is pretty similar. I live in Slovakia and I don't think there's anything preventing this here. Does that mean there are no people working for donations in Poland? I find that hard to believe.
Anyway, if it's just that you don't want to be bothered with setting up some donation service, that's your decision, we're just interested in supporting faster development. BTW have you thought about opening the source?