Backwards compatibility of saved game in future versions?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
PeterN

Backwards compatibility of saved game in future versions?

Post by PeterN »

Hello, I am very curious if a character I create in the current version of the mod will be compatible with the future versions of the mod?
I understand that creator(s) of the mod can't know in advance, but I would like to know to what extent is preserving backwards compatibility a priority?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

This project is dead, there won`t be next versions. Don`t worry :)
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Oh no! Moreover, how come this isn't mentioned anywhere on the site? Had I known there will be no more improvements or progress, I may not have invested the time.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

The last patch is pretty recent (Septmeber/2014), and they have been investing time in translations lately.
I think they will still work on bug fixes and some upgrades (not sure, though). Even if they wont, I think they intend to make Multiplayer possible.

I think it is a pretty basic thing to let the characters be compatible with newer versions. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

This mod has a history of NOT being backwards compatible. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also the translations are from fans not by the mod creators.
riesa

Post by riesa »

There was just one patch where chars wasn't backwards compatible. It was when one patch was introduced. This one that was fixing stat exploits. My demo sorc is still compatible with 1.045 so i don't know why you're saing that this mod have history of incompatibilty. Did you raised your stats with bugs?
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

Before it was called Belzebub it was called Chochlik. Saves and stash did not carry over. And again between different versions of Belzebub. I'm not saying its a for sure thing, I just wouldn't guarantee save transfers nor be sad or upset if you have to start again..

Play the game for what it is now and if you don't enjoy that or can only see it as a waste of time then move along. As for next versions, I wouldn't hold my breath. Multiplayer probably works except I believe BrightLord doesn't want to release something half-baked and glitchy which is a lot harder than it sounds. Talk to anyone that has tried to get single player Diablo 1 quests into multi player.

With it being virtually impossible to make a coin from it, the only gratification is proper, working code and appreciation from players. When people say negative comments it doesn't do any good. Considering its been in development for over three years, probably closer to four, this project has come a long way and I'd like to see it through to completion. I'm not surprised BrighLord is getting bored...
riesa

Post by riesa »

qualakon, sure, my bad. I forgot about Chochlik. So if we're talking about 'named' versions then Belzebub saves would not be compatible with Tchernobog (Multiplayer) version. Belzebub is, as far as i know, mostly finished. It need just few bugfixes. Tchernobog should be a new, multiplayer version of this mod with many posted suggestions, balances and with new saves. I still hope it will be realeased some day.
qualakon

Post by qualakon »

Just figured a name change equates to loss of backwards compatibility. This is a case where I'd rather be wrong than right.

I hope Tchernobog is realeased one day as well. *crosses fingers*