Character guides & hints

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Martim

Post by Martim »

Don't forget golem for rogue!
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

Martim wrote:Don't forget golem for rogue!
mana cost is too much for rogue. and it goes down too easily. i'd rather spend that mana on a multiple shot burst.

golem is generally weak for everyone except sorc due to the magic bonus.
Martim

Post by Martim »

So you need to keep items that give +magic so that you can level up the spell. And save horazon sanctum quests (normal, nightmare, hell and torment) that gives +1 golem spell for the end.
I repeat: golem is essencial for rogue.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

Martim wrote:So you need to keep items that give +magic so that you can level up the spell. And save horazon sanctum quests (normal, nightmare, hell and torment) that gives +1 golem spell for the end.
I repeat: golem is essencial for rogue.
yes of course i have a magic set. but i don't wear it in combat. who does that?

sure i use it to read books. but it's not just the spell level that matters. your current magic also adds a bonus to golem's life. the more magic you have, the more bonus you get.

not only sorc has more base magic to begin with, he also wears magic items in combat. there's a huge difference between a sorc's golem and other characters' golem.

sorc needs golem the most too. that's his only reliable source of physical damage. rogue however can easily hide behind walls and attack with guided arrow. she doesn't need golem as much as sorc. teleport is essential tho.
Psojed

Post by Psojed »

@rightclick: aren't you going to be wearing + all stats items in the late game? You will have magic, so you can use Golem, but I don't see why.

@Martim: I don't see the benefit of a Golem, care to explain?
Bonyth

Post by Bonyth »

Golem is the best friend of rogue. On higher difficulties it is the only real way to clear levels (it would be approximately 2-3x times slower without golem). Why?
- golem is your tank, up to 5000 HP later on, with up to 75% resistances
- enemies fire is ALWAYS focused on your golem as long as he is closer to them than you are
- works perfect with teleport. When u tp, both you and golem spawn at the same hex, still, enemies aggro is on your golem

I wouldn't get past most of the bigger boss'es, if it wasnt for the golem spell. And I don't think some of them would be even doable for a rogue without it. I'm currently on 9th floor torment difficulty, so you can trust my words ^_^
Martim

Post by Martim »

Yes, magic is important to golem, but no, you won't wear +magic in battle, only for learning spells. Golem is improved in each difficulty level. Plus the spell is improved not only with magic and difficulty level, but also with spell level(of course) and character level.

Bonyth explained very well why golem is important! Thank you Bonyth!
I finished torment difficulty (with trouble because the game was crashing a lot), and I couldn't do it without golem.

A tip I give is that you keep in your secondary weapons +spell levels, for exemple sigon's shield and dreamflange scepter. So that you press "w" to change weapons before casting golem.
And another thing I said before I don't know if it was clear: horazon sanctum quest gives you +1 golem spell (in the same place where you fight the creature of flame), if you skip this quest (in all 4 difficulties) you can learn it later when magic requirements are too high for rogue.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

i see. thank you both for explaining. i think it might be that difficulty plays a very large role in it. because right now my lv9 golem won't last for more than a few seconds in nightmare, even though i switch down to mp1. i usually play mp10 and it just gets instagibbed.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Maybe Golem should scale with mp? :O For characters other than the sorceror.
baboun

Post by baboun »

rightclick wrote: you should get: absorb half trap damage, which i believe actually applies to all ranged attacks and magic
I just tested it with my rogue on some succubus and it doesn't cut half the dmg :/
Martim

Post by Martim »

rightclick wrote:i see. thank you both for explaining. i think it might be that difficulty plays a very large role in it. because right now my lv9 golem won't last for more than a few seconds in nightmare, even though i switch down to mp1. i usually play mp10 and it just gets instagibbed.
You are right! It's true: golem is most efective at torment difficulty. It dies much more often on easier difficulties.

Windgard, maybe something could be done only at other difficulties, like increasing its HP.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

Martim wrote:
rightclick wrote:i see. thank you both for explaining. i think it might be that difficulty plays a very large role in it. because right now my lv9 golem won't last for more than a few seconds in nightmare, even though i switch down to mp1. i usually play mp10 and it just gets instagibbed.
You are right! It's true: golem is most efective at torment difficulty. It dies much more often on easier difficulties.

Windgard, maybe something could be done only at other difficulties, like increasing its HP.
now i'm in hell and it's much better. at least it can overpower regular mob now.
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

Bonyth wrote:Golem is the best friend of rogue. On higher difficulties it is the only real way to clear levels (it would be approximately 2-3x times slower without golem). Why?
- enemies fire is ALWAYS focused on your golem as long as he is closer to them than you are
- works perfect with teleport. When u tp, both you and golem spawn at the same hex, still, enemies aggro is on your golem

I wouldn't get past most of the bigger boss'es, if it wasnt for the golem spell. And I don't think some of them would be even doable for a rogue without it. I'm currently on 9th floor torment difficulty, so you can trust my words ^_^
i'd like to point out an exception to point 2: poison enchanted. it is always pointed right at you.
baboun

Post by baboun »

rightclick wrote:
Bonyth wrote:Golem is the best friend of rogue. On higher difficulties it is the only real way to clear levels (it would be approximately 2-3x times slower without golem). Why?

i'd like to point out an exception to point 2: poison enchanted. it is always pointed right at you.
can you answer my question please ?
I don't think I'm the only one who was wondering..
rightclick

Post by rightclick »

baboun wrote:
rightclick wrote: you should get: absorb half trap damage, which i believe actually applies to all ranged attacks and magic
I just tested it with my rogue on some succubus and it doesn't cut half the dmg :/
it does in hellfire. i guess the dev removed it then.