Running 1.042 on Mac (OSX 10.9)

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Gnom

Running 1.042 on Mac (OSX 10.9)

Post by Gnom »

Hi there,

I haven't found much information about running Diablo 1 HD on Mac, so I tought it would be good idea to share this short "howto" with you. It's simple enough to figure out by anyone slightly experienced, but still can be tricky.

I used Wineskin Winery wrapper with WS9Wine1.7.24 engine (tha latest one available now). Installed fresh Diablo 1 and moved diabdat.mpq and mod content into game directory inside wrapper package.

Tricky part is, that game now starts but crashes after while. Movies are working fine (with sound), menu is visible (no black screen), character creation works, you can enter tristram and even cathedral. But there's no ingame sound, no dialogue scrolling text and it's just a matter of time to get write access violation crash or something.

Solution is to override OpenAL library with system one. Run Winskin app inside your wrapper and: Advanced -> Tools -> Config utility (winecfg) -> Libraries and add openal32.

Now everything works fine :) At least for me.
DREWPICKLES

Post by DREWPICKLES »

once i get my mac working i will share some tips with you, i ran this in wine for a while.

Im glad you figured out the trick about patching the OAL to check for system first, that stumped me for a week or two :P
:)
Jemwielder

Post by Jemwielder »

I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm running it with crossover on my mac, I added openal32.dll and sound came back and it seemed to be running fine, however I still have issues any time I attempt to talk to anyone in town. If I talk to anyone the game instantly freezes up and I usually can't get out without a reboot. Any help would be appreciated.