for devs: custom sprites?

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
nexuscz

for devs: custom sprites?

Post by nexuscz »

Hello guys,

I would love to know if this mod using any custom sprites for monsters, walls, object?

How much custom graphics is used for items?

I see belts from diablo2 + portal but given fact i have played diablo1 as child i cannot know for sure whats changed or added.

Do you guys considered adding modified sprites from other games?

I have in mind one specifically "Divine Divinity" the item images are very much diablo1 style and game textures, objects are astonishingly good, pc/npc models could fit also given some touchups.

If you would be willing to test these assests into diablo1 engine, i could do the said touchups if you can provide me with decompiled data files of DD and give me proper tools to import and test new graphic assets in diablo1 engine.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

Work on the items and equipment graphic design is underway. The creation of models and model's animations for additional classes (necromancer / assassin / barbarian) is in the plans, however, they will not occur for a long, long time.Too much time and energy has already consumes current job.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Lets not make changes for the sake for making changes. This is what makes other mods inferior to Belzebub which sticks to the orignial graphic style.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

Don't compare "other mods" to "Belzebub". They are two different things.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

[insert here any mod you want] and Belzebub are so different that any attempt to compare is ridiculous in its essence.

Nobody is going to make changes for the sake of their introduction. Some changes are implemented adequately for arrangements introduced or just planed earlier.

One example - the belts graphics from Diablo 2 (which totally doesn't fit the atmosphere of Diablo 1) were used temporarily, because earlier was an idea to enter the belt as an item to the game but there was no suitable alternatives. There are many, many issues created provisionally that other things could work thanks to them and be tested by players like you.

And here we come full circle. Single player is only a prelude to test the multiplayer version. Multiplayer version differs significantly from the single player. Everything in the Belzebub is an introduction to Tchernobog.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.
nexuscz

Post by nexuscz »

Have you take a look on Divine Divinity? The quality of graphics assets is very good.

Is there a forum dedicated to diablo1 modding where i can find tools to work with? I would like to try recreate original model of warrior (High resolution, detailed) so i need tools to get d1 assets and import + test them.
radicool

Post by radicool »

Is there a forum dedicated to diablo1 modding where i can find tools to work with? I would like to try recreate original model of warrior (High resolution, detailed) so i need tools to get d1 assets and import + test them.
I've often thought it would be awesome to update the characters and monster's sprites with HD while retaining the Diablo 1 look. Perhaps adding "alternative" forms of attacking and standing like they have in Warcraft 3. Units can randomly display an alternative animation to mix it up.

I did some searching and found this website:
http://www.thedark5.com/forum/forum_pos ... D=674&PN=1

I'm not familiar with Diablo modding but it appears to be a forum to help people make modifications of all sorts to their Diablo games. If you scroll down a bit, there is a title "Graphic Related Programs". Perhaps those are the tools you are looking for? Those along with a program like "Blender" may be all you need. The forum appears fairly inactive, so some links may be inactive and there won't be many people to help you.

I beleive Diablo 1 uses sprites to display characters and monsters. These sprites are a series of "frames" or screenshots of a model performing an animation. This was done instead of implementing actual models to save storage space. If this is right you would need to create a model, draw a texture or "skin" for that model, then capture a long series of frames of the model walking, attacking, casting spells, dying, etc, repeated for each class of armor and/or weapons they equip (so you need to make a few variations of each character you make). Time consuming process. I'm sure there are tools to autmatically create the frames of the model to save time. I wouldn't dare think how tedious it would be to manually take frames of the animations, lol

Anyway, Im no expert. My advice is probably wrong. I doubt you will get very far at all unless you have plenty of experience in modeling and texturing.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

Do you think that adding a turbo, supercharger & NOS to Rolls Royce makes any sense?

There is no need to make hd textures for models nor any . This game is almost 25 years old and looks like it should look well maintained antique - fucking great.
radicool

Post by radicool »

Geez, calm down. I can see your point but my opinion still stands. When we toss around the word HD, I suppose you think the sprites will be changed, but ideally they wouldn't be. At the moment the characters are a little blurred in my opinion. Extra detail and clarity would only improve their appearance.

So what, will it look like out of place Diablo 3 characters in Diablo 1? No. The sprites would still have the same colour pallets and follow the same artistic value that Diablo 1 holds given they were made with the right expertise and intentions. New sprites (if done right) would freshen up the map and add another "wow" factor if they introduced new prinicples such as better detail or new animations.

Ultimately everything done to the orginal Diablo is just attaching bells and whistles. New interface, new buttons, new spells, new shop interfaces, etc. Its all just "supercharging" the game. The question is where the line is drawn. That question is open to specualtion. Where is the line drawn? What is too much for the sake of this mod? In my opinion the line is only crossed once it is no longer Diablo 1. For me, that is when the storyline doesn't make sense, gameplay is dramatically changed or the atmosphere and mood is altered.

I'm not in any way suggesting that remodelling is of utmost importance because it certainly isn't. I was trying to help somebody who only wants one thing. To donate their time and effort into this project. What does anyone have to lose? If (which I doubt because of the required effort) a model is made by somebody and it looks strange, out of place or artistically deviated, then the modders don't have to accept the model. Simple as that.
nexuscz

Post by nexuscz »

Gamma_Corvi wrote:Do you think that adding a turbo, supercharger & NOS to Rolls Royce makes any sense?

There is no need to make hd textures for models nor any . This game is almost 25 years old and looks like it should look well maintained antique - fucking great.
I would say that having actual faces on heroes models (and new ingame objects and environments) would would not hurt spirit of old game but rather enhance it.

From my understanding this mode use it's own engine with 100% code rewritten, so you have possibility and tools to think big.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

I am calm, just irritates me when someone says that he would like to change this or that, add this or that, but don't have the slightest idea about the volume of work and the absorption of time to achieve his idea. Most of the ideas which are generated especially by the people on the forum are interesting, but most of this majority required amount of work. I can rework sprites, make them more detailed, this is not so complicated but this is a lot of work for which I don't have time atm because of other things I am working on already. In proper time I will think about this.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

There is no need to make hd textures for models nor any .
First for all it's impossible to add high resolution textures at this time. This is still Diablo 1.
nexuscz

Post by nexuscz »

Noktis wrote:
There is no need to make hd textures for models nor any .
First for all it's impossible to add high resolution textures at this time. This is still Diablo 1.
It's hard to believe the blur on warrior model is because of engine limitation only. Some textures looks detailed.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

If you (or some one else) can make high details animations, just do it and send to us.
Gamma_Corvi

Post by Gamma_Corvi »

I am waiting.