Bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

i had the same problem as constance once - and it was in catacombs as well :)
SirohAmada

Post by SirohAmada »

A minor and possibly personal suggestion:

When the player dies, the screen turns red. Is it possible to turn it off?

I know that this reddish effect exists in the original game but personally I just don't like it, especially when I'm playing as rogue, hehe.

Thanks.
Corbie

Post by Corbie »

Hi :)

Thanks for this awesome mod!

Small list of stuff I noted whole playing ... just take it and make whatever you think best of it, and discard what's irrelevant.
  • Items of one square are currently stacked in top row squares of the inventory. They'd better be in the lowest row first, while all others stack from the top. This way potions seldom block the space which a piece of armor needs.

The step sound is curious, almost like "gallop" (at standard speed), with a bigger gap in the loop between the two taptap sounds of the file.

Suggestion of which I'm not all sure: maybe attack always when the left mouse button is pressed, don't stop when the target dies. This makes it easier to deal with mobs, most of all in levels where walls block the sight (worm tunnels, water source tunnel)

When strg has been pressed, tooltips are underlayed blue sometimes. Unfortunately I can't tell how that happens.

Help button ingame would be helpful. :)

Visible belt: usual belt size -> full length, not only four visible. Huge belt -> double row (e.g. 1/4 more squares than the big belt has now).
    I don't care much for the actual size of the bigger belt, but I'd like to see what's in it like in the original game. The other buttons could be put to the sides of the menu, especially in singleplayer mode where two could even be missing. Or perhaps move the multiplayer buttons aside, thus giving the visible belt squares more room. I'm aware that this is likely a way bigger change than it seems to be.

Gillian's name lacks an L.

The shadows of the sarkophagi are strangely tilted.

When a Thaumaturgic Shrine resets am emptied level, all tome pedestals in the libraries become clickable. Some appear empty now nonetheless, and show an open book when they are emptied.

Worms infestation quest: It would be nice to keep the house open after the boss worm has been killed, and close it only when all worms are dead. The behaviour here is opposite to all other boss fight quests I encountered so far (I had even some double, like Gharbad the Weak, which I really don't mind), so I stumbled into it without expecting the dungeon to be closed, and left a rare scimitar inside which I wanted to get later as there were still mosters, and I needed healing from Pepin. The quest was solved despite surviving worms, the weapon lost, and it feels weird to leave a good dozen of the beasts alive. (edit: after game restart the dungeon is open and respawned again, so the only odd quest behavior happens when the door closes after having the quest solved from Pepin.)
About the save / autosave problem, I have another suggestion:
It was one of the worst problems with singleplayer Diablo 2 that it wasn't possible to save in a spot. I actually want to play for an hour and then quit, but I do not want the feel of leaving half a dungeon uncleared, half the magic books not collected, and expect to fight my way through a horde of skeletons when I want to smash King Leoric without a long way to go next time.
On the other hand, the gamble of Gheed's items would not be possible with a standard save method. Also, the reset makes the dungeons more interesting and solves all problems with gold and hard boss fights which are meant to be hard: just restart and get more experience. I would not miss that, especially after my Rogue in standard Diablo died horribly from a totally overpowered Balrog assault in the first Hell level, and has absolutely no chance to level up without starting completely anew.
So I thought about how it would it be possible to save in a certain spot to proceed from there, avoid the unsolved-level-feeling and lack of noticeable progress, and still keep the possibilities, variety and fluent gameplay of the dungeon resets.
Idea #1 - Make up a save point skill. With this, you can set ONE save point per character anywhere and start exactly there when you start the game again. This does now allow to restart there after death. The savepoint must be discarded after loading the game.
Idea #2 - When a Town portal is set, restart in town, but leave the portal active and the level where it was placed unchanged without a reset. This works almost the same way, but is only available once the first scrolls or a book are discovered and enough Magic attribute gained. I did not play the barbarian yet, so I don't know if it would be possible with him or if he stays at 0 magic.

Lots of blah. Please don't take anything of this as critique. I love this mod, 'cause now I like playing Diablo once more. Thanks so much! :)
Corbie

Post by Corbie »

An addition:
When battling the Summoner in Horazon's Sanctum, I got kind of stuck. I play the assassin, lvl 21 and clad in uniques, dealing with areas like Caves lvl 10 without problems. I went to the sanctum carrying a good bow and Griswold's Edge, with the Maiden's Pendant from the Andariel quest, so I have very quick mana regain. With that, Heal spell, Dark Pact spell and the unbreakable sword as well as Town Portal for worst case, its possible to stay alive for a very long time. I have actually no idea how much time. Around the entrance of the sanctum, where the book is, I ended up defending the door and from time to time striking the Summoner, but I never got him down. I can't get through or stay in a spot without getting swarmed in a way that not even a character of lvl 40 could deal with.
But the main problem are the dead enemies: after some time, they started to appear invisible, the Night Clan guys as well as the Illusion Weavers, and they stayed invisible even in death. Iguess the reason is that dead enemies never disappear.
With invisible foes, it was impossible at all to finally finish the Summoner off even if he was still visible, only new opponents were not shown any more. I can still hit them and see their life bar and stats on mouseover though.

I guess it's solely a Summoner problem that happens when you don't manage to kill him quickly, but instead need to fight his army. :)
alsok

Post by alsok »

more space in inventory please!!!!
every 2 minets going to town=\
Yes, we have!
filippiet

Post by filippiet »

I've got really annoying audio problem, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMnr4Gnj0yw
riesa

Post by riesa »

I had same audio issue. Just run oalinst.exe (it's in Belzebubs folder) and it should be ok.
filippiet

Post by filippiet »

Thanks, good man. It works fine.
NakedSnake

Post by NakedSnake »

Inner fire bugs, it doesn't have the fire penetration that it claims to have. That can be also seen when checking status window from the magic tab.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

In multiplayer version binding skills to F# key's has been slightly improved when it comes to staves and scroll spells. Now if you put on Staff with firebolt charges and bind it to F6 then dequip staff hotkey will still be available if you equip it again (Even after game exit). So you can now have two staves on weapon switch and each of them bind to different F# key. Same thing for scrolls. If you had F# bind to scroll and you just used all of them. Hotkey will still be available when you get more scrolls later on. Ofcourse as long as same key was not reused.
Ogodei

A suggestion for the Necromancer class

Post by Ogodei »

Hello everyone ;) I thought it would have been nice to share an idea regarding the Necromancer. How about deleting the timer for revived normal monsters and making them able to follow you through town portal or teleport? I think it could improve the gameplay and making it funnier, since you could litteraly study how to organize your own mini-army :)
Ofcourse, if possible, i would also suggest that revived champions-fanatics-berserkers-possessed and similar special monsters remain timed, in order not to unbalance the game.
BrightLord

Post by BrightLord »

Zombies and risen monsters are not summoned minions of necromancers. He only force these to fight for him for small amount of time. Necro should already get nerf. :)
Constance

Post by Constance »

BrightLord wrote:In multiplayer version binding skills to F# key's has been slightly improved when it comes to staves and scroll spells.[…]
I had been thinking of a different solution : when one has bound a function key to some spell, it should use by decreasing priority order :
- scrolls first (to help free the inventory)
- mana to cast the spell
- charges from current equipment when no scrolls are available and the caster doesn't have enough mana

Note: it might be interesting to actually let the player define his own priorities, in case one wants to use charges and save his mana for another spell...
zarddos

Post by zarddos »

Hi!
The mod is wonderfull! Now I'm playing my favorite game like at first time. Man, you are a real sorcerer!

By the way, I have some suggestions to make this mod brilliant.
1. Is it possible to add running animation for the hero in town? Fast walking looks a little ridiculous.
2. It will be great, if the river in town become animated, flowing (like at D2).
3. Pop-up descriptions for items now look hardly-readable as compared with original D1 and D2. May be by reason of all caps letters or by extra words or by center alignment of text.
For example, compare this

" BUY PRICE : 5100
WAR STUFF
TWO-HAND DAMAGE: 16 TO 32
SACRIFICE CHARGES: 19 OF 19
DURABILITY: 75 OF 75
REQUIRED STRENGTH: 49
REQUIRED MAGIC: 40
REQUIRED LEVEL: 16
STAFF CLASS - VERY SLOW ATTACK SPEED"

and this

"WAR STUFF : 5100
Charges: 19/19
Damage: 16-32 Dur: 75/75 Required: 55 str, 40 mag, 16 lvl
Very slow attack speed"

Thanks a lot!

(Sorry for my english)
Constance

Post by Constance »

It is true that reading the items description is a bit... not painful, but... takes some time.
Even though having a graphical interface like in D2 definitely looks cool, I still think having a table of all the items a merchant has to sale with their properties "in text mode" would be easier/faster to navigate when browsing through their inventories, as it would be much quicker to see for example which of their armors give the most defense, or which weapon has the highest damage (or at least if anything is better than what you currently have) etc.