Warrior questions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

riesa wrote:*snip*
So you find that dex from gear and +all is not sufficient to keep your block chance up even with a 20% investment in dexterity? This does not bode well. I figure you're using a good shield and not trying to get max block from a buckler right? (I'm sorry to ask but I have to...)
riesa

Post by riesa »

I'm not sure - yet... I'm still on normal with this warrior, with full Tancred set and Shield Wall shield, so... I don't see any issues in only 1 point in DEX but... I'm just afraid how it gonna look at Hell, maybe Torment someday...
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

I spent 5 points on dex with my warrior, my shield block chance was 75% before and stayed 75% after.... dunno how much dex you need to improve your block chance, but if more then 5 for 1%, then I think it's useless... maybe it skales exponentially, so if you have only 30% you need less points.
uRa!
angra

Post by angra »

I can suppose that 75% is cap.
I've not tested DEX<->CTB properly but it appears to be no simple formula like AC=DEX/5. Maybe it is similar to D2 formula.
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

angra wrote:I can suppose that 75% is cap.
I dunno, but I've seen here someone to post an unique dragonshield with a blockchance of 99%.
uRa!
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

andronnik wrote:
angra wrote:I can suppose that 75% is cap.
I dunno, but I've seen here someone to post an unique dragonshield with a blockchance of 99%.
Yes but chance to block on item does not directly translate to chance to block for character. So a shield with 99% chance to block makes sense as that it could make up for lack of dexterity and still have a character gain a relatively decent chance to block. I do believe the block chance cap is indeed 75% as it should be.

I'm actually wondering about the viability of block in belzebub though since it attempts to block even if you have 95% resistance to elemental damage. I can only imagine with 75% chance to block, that one might be stun-locked in the block stance from multiple caster enemies... I do not have any direct experience with this as of yet though so I don't know if it is actually a problem.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Jofuss wrote:I can only imagine with 75% chance to block, that one might be stun-locked in the block stance from multiple caster enemies... I do not have any direct experience with this as of yet though so I don't know if it is actually a problem.
I confirm it happens, actually we've already discussed that somewhere on this forum (and how in vanilla Diablo, you don't try to block an elemental attack as long as you have some resistance to it, while you still do in this mod).
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

Constance wrote:I confirm it happens.
The block lock you mean? I remember reading about the problem but like I said I don't know how bad it is since I haven't had any first hand experience as of yet and there wasn't a whole lot of discussion on it.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Yeah, the block lock.

To be honest, I didn't have it happen too often, as after it happened a few times I tried to adapt and so:
- started playing more carefully, to avoid getting in the middle of big rooms filled with ranged attackers in the first place
- also decided to use my bow weapon switch more often (as running after succubuses with your sword quickly gets boring anyway)
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

Constance wrote:- also decided to use my bow weapon switch more often (as running after succubuses with your sword quickly gets boring anyway)
Yeah I need to figure out a good off-slot ranged weapon for my warrior before too long... I hate chasing mobs and you can't always draw them around a corner.