Immunities VS Difficulty Level

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Jofuss

Immunities VS Difficulty Level

Post by Jofuss »

Am I the only one who got the impression that it seems like there were more quad immune mobs at the end of Normal and the beginning of Nightmare that there were at the end of Nightmare and up to half way through Hell? ( I'm only just now on the first level of Caves so I don't know if it continues as such. :-/ )

EDIT: Or maybe I am just getting better at dealing with them such that I don't notice them as much? Like I just walked into a group of 3 champion quad immunes and I didn't even think about it but elemental drained and blizzard'ed the snot out of them.
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

Jofuss, I think you just got more skillful so you've learned how to deal with them, and maybe you got staffs with -resistances too. I also thought that late nightmare and then hell were easier than normal, but it's because in normal you have bad gear and in course of time you learn the game tricks :)
uRa!
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

maybe you got staffs with -resistances too
I've got a bunch... I don't really use them... There not as helpful for me in general. :)

I usually just run around with my sword and shield with magic or staff with bucket loads of spell power. Those help VS everyone more than a single neg resist staff seems to ever help for me. I only break them out on rare occasion. Now if I found a staff with big neg resists for 2 or more resists on a rare with big ole spell power and magic, I'd obviously run around with that.

I really feel like there use to be more quad immunes, but I guess it could just be that I've gotten used to them.
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

Dunno, i thought there was no difference or even more quadimunes in later game :)

Staffs with neg.resist you will definitely need soon. Even a staff with -6% light resist might kill a quadimune boss with no need of elemental drain :)
uRa!
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

andronnik wrote:Staffs with neg.resist you will definitely need soon.
Like I said I have some and use them occasionally, but since I don't really spam elemental drain, its rarely on cool-down. I'd usually just use it to burn down a quad resist. The only time I go to town to grab a staff is when I can't do good damage on a quad resist before elemental drain will run out.

Now this is just as far as "Hell" difficulty has been so far. Most of the Hell levels on Nightmare I was running around with a Celestial Axe (I think?) that had like -18 magic resist. In these few levels this was actually helpful because almost all of my kills were from bone spirit and blood star. This is really the only major instance in the game for me as of yet where I have actually made good use of neg resists as it increased my damage more than the spell-power alternates I had at the time.

I am well aware of the power of negative resist modifiers, I just haven't really gotten a good enough weapon with them on it.

I'm not going to use a shopped -14 fire resist magic staff to run around in the caves on hell mode. If I could get my hands on a nice rare or whatnot with neg resists, you bet your ass I'd use it.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

Well now that I've gotten to a level where half the mobs are undead balrogs that are quad immune, I retract my previous statements :-/
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

From the "Diablo 1 HD MOD - version beta 1.04" thread:
Wingard wrote:Okay lets say i met an enemy immune to everything and my elemental drain is on cooldown. Golem+Stone curses will make me run out of mana or fall asleep before the fight ends. Wat do i do?
Jofuss wrote:Well seeing as how you basically have 0% risk when fighting a monster this way, it seems very fair for them to take less damage.

I still usually don't bother with stone curse and golem though myself. I clear everything else, loot and do a town run while I wait for elemental drain...

Every once in a while I would stone curse to kill something, but even with a good sword, its so unbelievably slow, that elemental drain comes back before its dead most of the time.

And now:

Jofuss wrote:Well now that I've gotten to a level where half the mobs are undead balrogs that are quad immune, I retract my previous statements :-/

HA!

Sry, i had to, too much satisfaction involved. :)

I suggest to make stone curse's damage resistance scale down with the spell level. It starts at 75% at lvl 1 and then decreases by 2 or 3% with each spell level.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

Well no I still am adamant about stone curse personally.

If stone curse didnt reduce damage, it wouldn't bother me at all that half the mobs on the level were quad immune since I'd just stone curse them all and wait for the golem to kill them. Instead now I actually need to dig up a weapon with negative resists... Too bad I'm salvage happy and some how managed to salvage the two I had in the stash for emergencies.

I was mostly talking about how I really never needed elemental drain very often in the higher difficulties and a negative resist modifier weapon. This is what I now am finding is not the case.

I definitely don't want the old stone curse back... For a couple of the undead balrogs I had to get through I would just stand there and hold the mouse button down for stone curse... not a difficult or dangerous way to fight AT ALL.
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

But the funny thing is that there is no "Psyhical immune" stat in the game for monsters. Why should sorcerors suffer and other classes not?

Clearing the levels with these golden winged skeletons (like Island of the suneless sea...) is not fun. :/
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

While i don't entirely share the level of satisfaction that Wingard has, i still find it quite pleasant to read you've changed your opinion, Jofuss :D

Wingard, sorcerers should suffer BECAUSE they are able to do things other classes can't do, in example high & fast AOE dmg, elemental drain, teleport fast. Or the best: even higher AOE dmg with elemental drain on! :D While warriors and barbarians have to chase every one of the mobs. It gets especially pleasant to chase advocates and other humanoids, while a shit load of demons and other advocates shoot at you from distance and don't let you recover from their hits :)

Sorceres should be squishy, as they are sorcerers. Still, regarding your question, even the golden winged skeletons aren't immune to everything. Try holy bolt on them, i heard it's super effective! At least on Hell, but i think on Torment too. Yes, later there will be mobs with real quadimunities, on the last 2-3 levels of Torment i think, where even your super-duper good staffs won't help. Well, if you don't want to wait for elemental drain, then blizzard comes to your help :) (one hint: if doesn't only do cold dmg, it also GREATLY increses your phisical weapon attack speed, so you just have to come close enough to the monster =) )
uRa!
Wingard

Post by Wingard »

Holy bolt! : O Why didnt i think of this before?!

Thank you andronnik, today you are my hero. :)
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

thank you Wingard, i suppose i should do some heroic thing to proove this title (for example fucking write the assignment for my university!)
uRa!
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

andronnik wrote:While i don't entirely share the level of satisfaction that Wingard has, i still find it quite pleasant to read you've changed your opinion, Jofuss :D
Are you kidding me? I change my opinion by the minute!
andronnik wrote:Wingard, sorcerers should suffer BECAUSE they are able to do things other classes can't do
THIS^^
andronnik wrote:Still, regarding your question, even the golden winged skeletons aren't immune to everything. Try holy bolt on them
... DOT DOT DOT ...

I feel stupid not thinking of that.
andronnik

Post by andronnik »

andronnik wrote:blizzard comes to your help :) (one hint: if doesn't only do cold dmg, it also GREATLY increses your phisical weapon attack speed, so you just have to come close enough to the monster =) )
I have just installed the patch 1.041 the first time and noticed that this blizzard attack speed bonus isn't present any more. Untill now i was playing on 1.033. Dunno if it was a bug, or a feature that came with that spell. But now it doesn't work this way, what a pity....
uRa!