Class Skills

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
radicool

Class Skills

Post by radicool »

So each class now has 5 skills which are specific to that class. Fantastic idea which makes each class a little different from one another. Although I think this system is great, it can still be improved. At the moment skills are automatically learned, automatically levelled and offer no choice.

Perhaps allowing players to choose their spells. Probably something of a small scale, so the focus remains on finding spellbooks within the dungeon. Maybe a skill system like the Followers in Diablo 3. For each tier, you pick one of two spells. 4 tiers. That's 8 spells all up. Pretty simple, yet this system would let players learn their skills for themselves and give them a little choice. That means the dev's only need to make 3 more skills for each class (already have 5 I think). Depending on wether the dev's had time or like the idea enough, they could had 3 columns of skills, so you pick from the 3. That's 12 skills all up.

Each column of skills could represent a logical theme. Perhaps the first column are offensive skills and the second column are defensive skills? And think of another theme if there was 3 columns. Anyway, just a cool idea for people to consider. If anyway else had another idea on how to improve skills, you could share it. I still think Multiplayer support is the most important next major step, but this could be cool in the long run.
Last edited by radicool on 17 Apr, 2014 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Paar

Post by Paar »

I like the idea. Maybe there could be three columns - two active skills and one passive. At the specific moment, when you level up, you would get one skill point and it would be up to you where would you like to specialize.

I made a thread where I shared my thoughts about D1 classes and how they could be expanded. You can find it here: http://awake.diablo1.eu.org/classes-the ... -t505.html

Some of the ideas are rather bold, but that's what's nice about ideas - they're just thoughts, not actual solutions. You can have as many as you want without fearing that you would ruin something.

I feel the skill system would benefit from change. But at the same time, I feel that it would be for the best to merge (with some tweaking) Warrior/Barbarian, Rogue/Assassin and Sorcerer/Necromancer classes and share their skills, so the player could pick which skills he wants to use.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

The impression I garner from Belzebub is that they are using skills to differentiate similar classes.

IE: Differences between:
Warrior and Barbarian
Rogue and Assassin
Sorcerer and Necromancer

Are mostly skill based.

While I agree that the thought of having choices for the class skills is intriguing, it would detract from the work they are doing to add new and unique classes as they are currently implemented.

I personally would rather see more "Spells" added similar to sacrifice and insanity that are based on different stats.

Example:
Lightning Arrow
Level 1
Adds X Lightning Damage to arrow
Requires X Dex
Cost: X (small amount)
Cooldown: 10 seconds

Keep in mind that there ARE people who might want a "Battlemage" or whatnot and that WAS an option and should remain an option. Spells can be learnt or not depending on choice.

I personally feel that skills as is are quite fine.

There may also be a technical limitation on whether or not ANY of this is even realistically possible or feasible in Belzebub.
radicool

Post by radicool »

The skills are to make character classes more unique...although choosing skills is intriguing, it would detract from the work they are trying to do.
How so? What im suggesting is that each class has their own skills to pick from. Im not suggesting all classes have the same spellbook. This new system would just add depth to what is already there.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Jofuss wrote:The impression I garner from Belzebub is that they are using skills to differentiate similar classes.

IE: Differences between:
Warrior and Barbarian
Rogue and Assassin
Sorcerer and Necromancer

Are mostly skill based.

While I agree that the thought of having choices for the class skills is intriguing, it would detract from the work they are doing to add new and unique classes as they are currently implemented.

I personally would rather see more "Spells" added similar to sacrifice and insanity that are based on different stats.

Example:
Lightning Arrow
Level 1
Adds X Lightning Damage to arrow
Requires X Dex
Cost: X (small amount)
Cooldown: 10 seconds

Keep in mind that there ARE people who might want a "Battlemage" or whatnot and that WAS an option and should remain an option. Spells can be learnt or not depending on choice.

I personally feel that skills as is are quite fine.

There may also be a technical limitation on whether or not ANY of this is even realistically possible or feasible in Belzebub.
I like this idea very much. It would be great to have "spells" which are learnable according to strength or dexterity, or even a mix of stats, so "lightning arrow" could require a certain amount of Dexterity and Magic to be learned.