Version b1.033 - bugs and suggestions

Diablo 1 HD, codename Belzebub - General forum.
Constance

Post by Constance »

Paar wrote:While I was playing the mod yesterday (as Warrior) I came across several new things.[…]
I agree with everything you said here \o/
Only thing I think would probably be too much work to implement would be armors with different colors, if you mean it as on the character model, as that would probably mean making a lot of new sprites. I don't suppose it would be easy to just apply a color filter over it (like when the character is under the effect of cold) properly so it applies only to the armor :/
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

There are different armor colors for assassin, barbarian... and necromancer.
radicool

Post by radicool »

2. When I completed the Anvil of Fury quest, the anvil appeared next to the blacksmith. But when I reloaded the game and get to the dungeon level 10, the Anvil of Fury was there again while being in the town. Shouldn't it be removed from the dungeon? Or are those two anvils completely unrelated?
I think all quests are like this. You can stumble across all quests a second time. Quest items like tomes (which you read like Chamber of Bone) and other items such as The Anvil, The Magic Rock and The Gold Potion can all be viewed a second time. Maybe quest areas could remain, but removing quest items to avoid confusion?
3. When I found The Bramle (unique ring) it looked as ordinary ring at first (sprite-wise). But when I identified it it changed the look completely (see the pic).
This is intentional and was also the case in the original Diablo 1. I kind of like it. Some items (normally uniques and greens) show a unique model when identified. I like this idea. It makes identifying more interesting. The element of surprise.
2. I think the background of the goods of the traders (Gheed, Griswold etc.) should be somehow highlighted if it's the magic item. Now they all look the same (see the pic.).
Agreed. White highlight for basics, blue for magic, yellow for rares, gold for uniques, yeah you get the idea, lol.
3. I think NPCs shouldn't wander too far from their original spot. I like them moving around but few steps should suffice. It's annoying when I have to look for the blacksmith when I need him. Maybe Gheed could be an exception.
Once you know their pattern, they're easier to find. They have static routes and don't wander too far in my opinion, other than the Tavern Owner who isn't that important anyway. It's fun looking for them in my opinion. Love how the dev's made them move around. Also love how people like Wirt move when certain Quests become available. Makes the town much more lively then it was before.
5. Could Scrolls of Identify vanish only when you click on an item (when using them)? Because now they're immediately gone when you right-click on them. You cannot change your mind.
Definitely agree. This should be the case when you right click any scroll but not use it, such as an identity scroll, lightning scroll, town portal scroll or inferno scroll.
6. To me, stash chests in the town feel like they're out of place. Why would the hero move them next to the tavern? What about placing them right next to the house where you start? I think it's more appropriate position (see the picture). In addition, you wouldn't need to change the position of the Farnham when he would want to give you a quest, as you would be walking around him a lot more.
I actually prefer them where they are. They are centred in town which is good. It's not just about distance, but it's also nice to be reminded where they are. Putting them out of the way by the house complicates finding them for new players.
7. Would it be possible to disable automatic opening of the doors? It's annoying when my hero goes to the room where I don't want to go yet. Or make it at least toggleable.
I think toggable would be ideal. They've spent the time to implement automatic opening of doors (which I like), so they may as well leave it in the game and add the option to disable it for those who don't like it.
8. When Cain is identifying an item, is it really neccessary to go through all those steps? Particulary the third step is completely needless (see the picture). You can only see the full name of the item, nothing more, not even the stats.
Agreed. The third step can be removed. Also, an identify all option would be cool.
9. Would be nice if scrolls would not automaticaly place themselves to the belt slots.
Yeah, I've suggested this before. An option to allow or disallow automatic placement of scrolls and elixirs into the belt.
Is there any penalty when dying? Like loss of some money or loss of the items' durability?
Not sure, but if there is, it should have a message saying how much gold or EXP you lost when you die like in Diablo 2.
Paar

Post by Paar »

radicool wrote:I actually prefer them where they are. They are centred in town which is good. It's not just about distance, but it's also nice to be reminded where they are. Putting them out of the way by the house complicates finding them for new players.
It's the starting location, even new players couldn't overlook it. I just thought it would be more logical to have the chests next to the building where the hero lives (apparently).
SlapZ

Post by SlapZ »

Paar wrote:
radicool wrote:I actually prefer them where they are. They are centred in town which is good. It's not just about distance, but it's also nice to be reminded where they are. Putting them out of the way by the house complicates finding them for new players.
It's the starting location, even new players couldn't overlook it. I just thought it would be more logical to have the chests next to the building where the hero lives (apparently).
Sorcerer is a Vizjerei who came to town after the trouble started, and he is here just for ancient tomes. He doesn't live in Tristram.

Rogue is a sister from Sightless Eye monastery and came here to check out whats going on. She doesn't live in Tristram either.

Warrior name is Aiden, he just came from pointless and brutal war with Westmarch, and he is Leoric's son. I don't think he lives in one of those barns.

As for your suggestions:
Apart from point 7 and 8, they are not important (not to say waste of time). About 7 and 8? Someone on Forum already asked for an option to identify all items in inventory at once, and the automatic door opening is a subject to debate I guess.
Noktis
Site Admin

Post by Noktis »

SlapZ wrote:Warrior name is Aiden, he just came from pointless and brutal war with Westmarch, and he is Leoric's son. I don't think he lives in one of those barns.
Not exactly. Aidan is name of Hero who killed Diablo. But im not shure, if that is the same Warrior.
Paar

Post by Paar »

SlapZ wrote:Sorcerer is a Vizjerei who came to town after the trouble started, and he is here just for ancient tomes. He doesn't live in Tristram.

Rogue is a sister from Sightless Eye monastery and came here to check out whats going on. She doesn't live in Tristram either.

Warrior name is Aiden, he just came from pointless and brutal war with Westmarch, and he is Leoric's son. I don't think he lives in one of those barns.
I know they're not from Tristram. But it seems like they're living in that hut at the moment.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

if you find a magic knout of something it is called "flail of...". maybe this occurs to other high tier items...
Paar

Post by Paar »

Bugs:

1. In the Secret Tunnel entrance area, there are steps that lead down even though they should lead up.

2. With Griswold's Edge and it's knockback effect, when you hit a Guardian, it is mysteriously pushed forward and then knocked back. It is the only monster that behaves like that (so far).
Image Image

3. You can clearly see how the tooltips are misplaced sometimes. First screenshot was taken without holding the ALT key, the second one was taken while holding the ALT key. The tooltip aligns itself to the right, even though the item is on the left. Or is it intentional?
Image Image
Rycerz

Post by Rycerz »

In my opinion you shoud remove the skills from chars in this mod you make this game to similar close to d2 than to d1.
Paar

Post by Paar »

Rycerz wrote:In my opinion you shoud remove the skills from chars in this mod you make this game to similar close to d2 than to d1.
I have opposite problem. I would like to see more unique skill and better skill system overall.

You cannot please everyone, I guess.
Jofuss

Post by Jofuss »

SlapZ wrote:
Sorcerer is a Vizjerei who came to town after the trouble started, and he is here just for ancient tomes. He doesn't live in Tristram.

I know they're not from Tristram. But it seems like they're living in that hut at the moment.
Do recall Ogden's introduction please. This is generally the first piece of narrated dialog a new player will encounter.
Ogden said:
"Thank goodness you've returned! Much has changed since you lived here, my friend. All was peaceful until the dark riders came and destroyed our village. Many were cut down where they stood, and those who took up arms were slain or dragged away to become slaves - or worse. The church at the edge of town has been desecrated and is being used for dark rituals. The screams that echo in the night are inhuman, but some of our townsfolk may yet survive. Follow the path that lies between my tavern and the blacksmith shop to find the church and save who you can. Perhaps I can tell you more if we speak again. Good luck."
The implication that I have always gotten from this was that our Hero originally lived in the town of Tristram, went off to learn from the vizjerei, sisters of the sightless eye or whatever that warrior made of his life elsewhere. It could also be inferred that our Hero is not originally of Tristram but lived there in the past only to return now to find the events of Diablo 1 unfolding before them.

Regardless, Ogden clearly states that our Hero did in fact live in Tristram for a time.

You start next to a house, one that there are no indications that anyone else owns and thus it is implied that this is one of three things:

1.) The house the Hero used to own
2.) The house the Hero still owns
3.) The house the Hero currently owns

I also do know that yes further stories and games have added additional background information for certain parts of the story. Do we take these as cannon when peering through the looking glass at a remake of Diablo 1 though or stick with what is Diablo 1's original cannon.

Pick and choose at your leisure.
Paar

Post by Paar »

It's most probably his or her house and that's what matters.
sergio_cannabis

Post by sergio_cannabis »

the spiritual shrine (money shrine) should rise it's amount granted by higher dlvl and difficulty. on torment lvl 14 i only get about 150 gold per pile in my inventory. this is only annoying and doesn't help at all.
riesa

Post by riesa »

sergio_cannabis wrote:the spiritual shrine (money shrine) should rise it's amount granted by higher dlvl and difficulty. on torment lvl 14 i only get about 150 gold per pile in my inventory. this is only annoying and doesn't help at all.
150 per pile? I've got 2g/pile on dlvl3 on normal. So it rises ;p